Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
You're trippin' if you think DC trumps San Francisco. San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, distinctive neighborhoods, amazing scenery, world class dining, museums, attractions, and schools. SF is so ethnically diverse and better weather too. San Francisco can hold its own against the East Coast cities except for NYC. San Francisco really is an East Coast city on the West Coast.
DC and SF are close to the same level, but DC still trumps SF.

DC has a larger MSA population and CSA population than SF. DC's GDP is larger on the MSA and CSA levels. DC's downtown office space is larger. DC's public transportation (metro system) is more extensive. The DC area is also very diverse and international and has many other qualities too (top museums in the country, top attractions, lots of restaurants and hotels, lots of green space, mountains to the west, beaches to the east, sailing, boating, rock-climbing, etc.).

Check out one of this year's major global city rankings (FIG. 1 on page 3):

http://www.atkearney.com/images/glob...ook-FINAL3.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Seattle to Atlanta???

I cannot speak about why other people said this but one of the first things I think of both cities is trees and forest.
They are both about the same size and level of cities, even though their cultures are completely different. It's just like comparing NYC and LA.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
BTW, even though I said SJ wins, Baltimore is still underrated as a city. It has great potential once most of the city is gentrified.

321 w pratt street baltimore - Google Maps

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40+s+...12,353.69,,0,0

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-21-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
If you had to pick cities on the 2 coasts that correspond to each other what would they be?

NY-LA?
NY-SF?
Boston-SF?
how about Philly?
Seattle?
Portland?
DC?

I'm really curious what people would say. Sure, it's not going to be exact. Just opinions for fun. Feel free to include midwest cities if you feel like it
NYC and LA are nothing alike and I much prefer NYC even if it's freakin' humid and dirty as heck.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Pend Oreille County, WA is somewhat equivalent to Franklin County, ME. Both are woodsy northern tier locales with a rural populace and both have had extensive logging histories. Both counties border Canada. Franklin County has a univesity while Pend Oreille does not.
These are rural equivalencies, though.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 852 times
Having lived in both the City that DOES Sleep and the City by the Gay, the NYC/SF comparison is not only valid, but both are obnoxious and have earned my disdain for their bougie, overrated reputations. I'd move back to LA any day over either. Shoot, I'd even live in Utah with a bunch of do-gooder Mormons before moving back to either NYC or Frisco; yeah, I said it. Deal.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,561 times
The West Coast isn't on our level in any way, shape, or form.

The closest thing to "East Coast" is San Francisco and it is FAR from it.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 AM

96 posts, read 133,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Los Angeles/New York
San Diego/Miami
San Francisco/Boston?
Portland/Pittsburgh
Phoenix/Atlanta
Seattle/Minneapolis
Sacramento/Orlando
I couldn't agree more with the Sacramento/Orlando comparisons because sometimes Sacramento reminds me very much of Orlando, FL because both of them are mid-sized cities, both are flat, both are not on the coast, both are diverse, both are only and hour in a half from the beach, both are only 5 to 6 hours from the bigger cities in the southern parts of both states, and finally both have a lot of retirees from other regions of the states. The only difference is that Sacramento doesn't have Disney World like Orlando does

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
I think we can all agree that there is no west coast version of Philadelphia.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post
I couldn't agree more with the Sacramento/Orlando comparisons because sometimes Sacramento reminds me very much of Orlando, FL because both of them are mid-sized cities, both are flat, both are not on the coast, both are diverse, both are only and hour in a half from the beach, both are only 5 to 6 hours from the bigger cities in the southern parts of both states, and finally both have a lot of retirees from other regions of the states. The only difference is that Sacramento doesn't have Disney World like Orlando does
Sac has a far better DT than Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.