Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,231,055 times

Advertisements

What's your local music scene like? What styles are represented? Any well known bands that live in your town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,936,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What's your local music scene like? What styles are represented? Any well known bands that live in your town?
Nevermore, a great metal band, is from here Best band I can think of from Seattle by far

Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM

64 posts, read 180,570 times
Saddle Creek Records is based in Omaha. Bright Eyes, Cursive, The Faint, etc. Saddle Creek Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neva Dinova is also a well known indie band from here. Though represented through other labels, Saddle Creek is putting out their older records as re-issues, I believe.

Shows happen every day all over the city. Some of the best additions in fairly recent times are The Waiting Room Lounge and Slowdown

The music community here is rather large in context to the size of the city. Though indie rock is really the biggest focus on Omaha nationally, other music scenes are represented well; Hip Hop, Punk (with the now closed Cog Factory as a national legacy) and Hardcore having large communities.

Of course most forms of music are represented somewhat. Though country music is something that I never hear about.

There is a large support network in the city consisting of a handful of local papers and websites focused largely on music and art.

Oh, and Mannheim Steamroller is pretty important.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
Saddle Creek Records is based in Omaha. Bright Eyes, Cursive, The Faint, etc. Saddle Creek Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neva Dinova is also a well known indie band from here. Though represented through other labels, Saddle Creek is putting out their older records as re-issues, I believe.

Shows happen every day all over the city. Some of the best additions in fairly recent times are The Waiting Room Lounge and Slowdown

The music community here is rather large in context to the size of the city. Though indie rock is really the biggest focus on Omaha nationally, other music scenes are represented well; Hip Hop, Punk (with the now closed Cog Factory as a national legacy) and Hardcore having large communities.

Of course most forms of music are represented somewhat. Though country music is something that I never hear about.

There is a large support network in the city consisting of a handful of local papers and websites focused largely on music and art.

Oh, and Mannheim Steamroller is pretty important.
Glad to hear you've got a large music scene, but DEFINATLY not my style! I remember back in high school the people always listening to bright eyes and the like...*shudder* Could never stand that type of music! I would be like here i'll throw in some tunes *Eviscerated Offspring by Dying Fetus blasts through the speakers!*

Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM

64 posts, read 180,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Glad to hear you've got a large music scene, but DEFINATLY not my style! I remember back in high school the people always listening to bright eyes and the like...*shudder* Could never stand that type of music! I would be like here i'll throw in some tunes *Eviscerated Offspring by Dying Fetus blasts through the speakers!*
When I was in high school I hated Bright Eyes, too (and still do, lol). But Cursive and some of the other bands have grown on me as I lean away from Punk/Hardcore.

Metal is pretty underrepresented here, or at least it was when I was more in the loop. As far as heavier music, it was all "stage dives and high fives" hardcore and still is as far as I know.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
When I was in high school I hated Bright Eyes, too (and still do, lol). But Cursive and some of the other bands have grown on me as I lean away from Punk/Hardcore.

Metal is pretty underrepresented here, or at least it was when I was more in the loop. As far as heavier music, it was all "stage dives and high fives" hardcore and still is as far as I know.
Heh yea that tends to be the way it is in much of the midwest/south/plains area, that kinda indie music, newer hardcore type thing, emo etc seems to be the most popular. Of course when i lived in Arkansas, that didn't stop my band(i was in a death metal band) from shredding it up! Had to teach 'em the right way to rock!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,580,426 times
A-Team you are the man, although I am not a huge Nevermore fan....a bit off topic, but are you a fan of Rwake, a sweet band from your native Arkansas?

Right now in Seattle, I think the indie hiphop movement is gathering some steam, and the underground/extreme metal scene is also holding it down. As always in Seattle, there is the strong indie/alternative scene. I have to say, the days of grunge are looooong gone, although you can still hear Nirvana and Soundgarden on local radio all the time.

Now if you will excuse me...

*throws on some brutal grindcore and crashes an emo concert*

Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
A-Team you are the man, although I am not a huge Nevermore fan....a bit off topic, but are you a fan of Rwake, a sweet band from your native Arkansas?

Right now in Seattle, I think the indie hiphop movement is gathering some steam, and the underground/extreme metal scene is also holding it down. As always in Seattle, there is the strong indie/alternative scene. I have to say, the days of grunge are looooong gone, although you can still hear Nirvana and Soundgarden on local radio all the time.

Now if you will excuse me...

*throws on some brutal grindcore and crashes an emo concert*
Always glad to see ya posting toughguy, another metal fan on CD!! And lives in Seattle too...what are the odds I'm kinda the same, there are some nevermore songs i really like, but overall not my favorite, but as far as Seattle goes good metal My favorite metal band from Arkansas was probably DeadEyeJack, a southern doom/groove/sludge band from my hometown of Fayetteville, sounded kind of like EyehateGod, but even more groovy(which is awesome lol) and deeper vocals. The singer was nuts i've never seen anything quite like him....randomly climbing on top of full stacks, then just falling violently off them onto the floor, still screaming lol. Then of course there is Vore, though they're not my favorite. And thank god the days of grunge are loooong gone lol, gone much before i got here

Speaking of brutal grindcore/brutal death, are you an Exhumed fan?

YouTube - EXHUMED - The Matter of Splatter

Brutal! Now then, time to liven up the depressing indie music scene here in Seattle with a dose of Dying Fetus *Blasts Homicidal Retribution! Speaking of which..."

YouTube - DYING FETUS - Homicidal Retribution

You gotta tell me you're a Dying Fetus fan Toughguy!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,580,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Always glad to see ya posting toughguy, another metal fan on CD!! And lives in Seattle too...what are the odds I'm kinda the same, there are some nevermore songs i really like, but overall not my favorite, but as far as Seattle goes good metal My favorite metal band from Arkansas was probably DeadEyeJack, a southern doom/groove/sludge band from my hometown of Fayetteville, sounded kind of like EyehateGod, but even more groovy(which is awesome lol) and deeper vocals. The singer was nuts i've never seen anything quite like him....randomly climbing on top of full stacks, then just falling violently off them onto the floor, still screaming lol. Then of course there is Vore, though they're not my favorite. And thank god the days of grunge are loooong gone lol, gone much before i got here

Speaking of brutal grindcore/brutal death, are you an Exhumed fan?

YouTube - EXHUMED - The Matter of Splatter

Brutal! Now then, time to liven up the depressing indie music scene here in Seattle with a dose of Dying Fetus *Blasts Homicidal Retribution! Speaking of which..."

YouTube - DYING FETUS - Homicidal Retribution

You gotta tell me you're a Dying Fetus fan Toughguy!
I saw Exhumed when they played with Deicide and Soilent Green at El Corazon, back when it was called Graceland (probably before you moved up from Arkansas). The lead singer drank fake blood out of a fake skull, it was pretty sick I actually started listening to them way before I really got into death metal, because they did a split with Hemdale in the mid nineties.

And yes, of course Dying Fetus is one of my faves. However, their best days were when Kevin Talley was drumming.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I saw Exhumed when they played with Deicide and Soilent Green at El Corazon, back when it was called Graceland (probably before you moved up from Arkansas). The lead singer drank fake blood out of a fake skull, it was pretty sick I actually started listening to them way before I really got into death metal, because they did a split with Hemdale in the mid nineties.

And yes, of course Dying Fetus is one of my faves. However, their best days were when Kevin Talley was drumming.
You are amazing! My hero!!!!!! I wish i got to see Exhumed with DEICIDE Haven't gone to many shows since i got here (not a whole lot came through Arkansas lol, got to see Origin and such) I am going to Pagan Fest next Monday though....can't pass up the chance to see Turisas and Ensiferum when they're actually in America Personally, Infatuation with Malevolence is my favorite Dying Fetus album(Eviscerated Offspring is my fav song by far!) when Rob Belton was drumming.

Also forgot to mention Drawn and Quartered is another excellent band from Seattle
MySpace.com - Drawn and Quartered - SEATTLE, Washington - Death Metal / Black Metal / Grindcore - www.myspace.com/drawnandquartered666

Last edited by The A-Team; 05-02-2008 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.