Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Western state has the most Southern influence?
Arizona 29 70.73%
California 10 24.39%
Nevada 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:33 PM

309 posts, read 307,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
California is 5.5% black. Gotta look at the other 94.5%
5.5% of 45-50 million people is still a LOT of actual people.

That 5.5% invented gang banging as we know it, introduced the ghetto to a new generation of "mainstream" America, launched two sub genres of one of the three most popular music styles, and is still a visible minority to this day. I guarantee NO ONE outside this forum knows California's population is less than 10% Black. Black Americans have a visibility that FAR outweighs our relative population and are often mistaken by Americans of all colors for having numbers FAR greater than the reality; for better and worse.

Black people have exported TONS of California culture with a twist that only Black people can apply. Most of those Black people have origins in East Texas and Louisiana.

But since you wanna talk about some of that other 95%, let's talk about many white Okies who found their way to California, as other posters have mentioned. Some of these Okies were likely a bit southern-fried themselves.

Let's not sell California's historical southern influence short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 01:39 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Hey you added like 10 million people to California lol.

Regardless, Black people in California express a distinctly black Californian culture. People don’t think of it as southern and it really isn’t southern culture. While it may have southern roots....some Southern’s roots amongst 5.5% of the population is just that.

I don’t dispute the Texas and Louisiana thing that’s 100% true but the fact is many black people in California aren’t locals-and it’s just a very tiny chunk of the states population were getting into.

I’d need to know more about okies because my impression was many white Californians came from plains states north of there like Iowa Kansas and Nebraska..

Old 11-24-2020, 01:42 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
None are very southern. I voted Arizona but it's probably pretty much a tie between California and Arizona. California has just gone so far in the other direction...

New Mexico is more southern than all of them. And with all that said, I don't think the "western" Texas cities have much in common with cities like Phoenix, Santa Fe, or Albuquerque.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:51 PM

90 posts, read 78,199 times
I live in Arizona and I also used to live in Texas, so Arizona will get my vote. It helps that we have Whataburger and bluebell ice cream here too.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
I thought blue bell was nationwide? Is it only a regional thing??? Big if true

Old 11-24-2020, 02:02 PM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hey you added like 10 million people to California lol.

Regardless, Black people in California express a distinctly black Californian culture. People don’t think of it as southern and it really isn’t southern culture. While it may have southern roots....some Southern’s roots amongst 5.5% of the population is just that.

I don’t dispute the Texas and Louisiana thing that’s 100% true but the fact is many black people in California aren’t locals-and it’s just a very tiny chunk of the states population were getting into.

I’d need to know more about okies because my impression was many white Californians came from plains states north of there like Iowa Kansas and Nebraska..

Yeah.... We know Black California or any other ____ California culture ISN'T Southern...

The question is which place contains the most southern influence. Historically speaking, that answer is California for the reasons I and other posters have mentioned upthread.

And you're right, Arizona and Nevada have higher Black population percentages. But Where do you think those states got their Black (and majority of other) residents from? Historically southern influenced Southern California. Black folks from the Midwest are moving back to the south. Not Arizona or Nevada.

Even to this very day, Black Californians have a twang to their voice that many would mistake for southern if not careful and that's not accident or coincidence. What differentiates the Black California accent from what we know as a more traditional southern accent is the fact even the most hoodest, thugged out Black Californians are SUPER proper in their speech.

Listen to Snoop Dogg (Long Beach Native) talk, then listen to Erykah Badu (Dallas native). Tell me the voice inflections and vowel pronunciations aren't similar...

Old 11-24-2020, 02:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Yeah.... We know Black California or any other ____ California culture ISN'T Southern...

The question is which place contains the most southern influence. Historically speaking, that answer is California for the reasons I and other posters have mentioned upthread.

And you're right, Arizona and Nevada have higher Black population percentages. But Where do you think those states got their Black (and majority of other) residents from? Historically southern influenced Southern California. Black folks from the Midwest are moving back to the south. Not Arizona or Nevada.

Even to this very day, Black Californians have a twang to their voice that many would mistake for southern if not careful and that's not accident or coincidence. What differentiates the Black California accent from what we know as a more traditional southern accent is the fact even the most hoodest, thugged out Black Californians are SUPER proper in their speech.

Listen to Snoop Dogg (Long Beach Native) talk, then listen to Erykah Badu (Dallas native). Tell me the voice inflections and vowel pronunciations aren't similar...
This actually isn't true. They are definitely moving to those places, as are Black Californians. And yea Black Californians are probably a larger share of Nevadas population than Californians. If it's not higher it's probably about the same. Black culture is a weak argument for any of these states but Nevada probably has more of it-organically- nowadays.

California has a bunch of other more prominent cultures before or along with the Black culture. Samoan, Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Central American, Filipino, Armenian, Valley/WASP etc. etc.

Nevada, because it's less ethnically diverse-less so.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:13 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
None are very southern. I voted Arizona but it's probably pretty much a tie between California and Arizona. California has just gone so far in the other direction...

New Mexico is more southern than all of them. And with all that said, I don't think the "western" Texas cities have much in common with cities like Phoenix, Santa Fe, or Albuquerque.
If you mean El Paso, I very much disagree with this. It has a lot in common with New Mexico and to a lesser extent Arizona. If you mean Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, etc, then I agree. Those cities are more like Oklahoma than they are like the Mountain West. I don't think I would say that they are "southern", though. More like Great Plains-ian (but more than anything: Texan).

Old 11-24-2020, 07:15 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post

El Paso in my opinion is very much like the desert Southwest cities.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:37 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
If you mean El Paso, I very much disagree with this. It has a lot in common with New Mexico and to a lesser extent Arizona. If you mean Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, etc, then I agree. Those cities are more like Oklahoma than they are like the Mountain West. I don't think I would say that they are "southern", though. More like Great Plains-ian (but more than anything: Texan).
The west Texas/Panhandle part of Texas is an interesting mix of southern/great plains with a healthy dose of southwestern thrown in from the Spanish/Mexican/New Mexican from the hispanics who have been there for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.