Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most under-rated Major City in the US?
Minneapolis 31 13.36%
Portland 14 6.03%
New Orleans 9 3.88%
St. Louis 12 5.17%
Des Moines 4 1.72%
Omaha 13 5.60%
Cincinnati 6 2.59%
Cleveland 7 3.02%
Columbus 4 1.72%
Philadelphia 25 10.78%
Austin 3 1.29%
Dallas 8 3.45%
Houston 27 11.64%
San Antonio 7 3.02%
Madison 6 2.59%
Milwaukee 14 6.03%
Seattle 12 5.17%
Oklahoma City 13 5.60%
Charlotte 7 3.02%
Baltimore 10 4.31%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times

Advertisements

Would there be ANY metro of 3 million or more... which is 'underrated' ?

I would guess we would all be pretty well familiar with these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesvillian View Post
your not so Mr. Coolio this time, more like Mr. Snoozio,:P just playing. but you did put some cities on that list that are OVERatted in fact, like Austin, Dallas, Houston, St. Louis. and some cities that shouldnt even be on there, like Seattle, Omaha, Portland, Charlette, those cities arent either overated or underated. But you didnt put Detroit! (THE most underated city in my opinion).

Houston: I know that it is growing rapidly, but i dont see why people want to live there, great skyline, but other than that, what else is there to do downtown other than work? Overated

vision-quest
Didn't know people moved to cities because their downtowns are "fun". Btw,Uptown Houston and Midtown is where the fun is at.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:25 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Wow, I don't think Omaha deserves to be alongside these other cities (guess that's why it's italicized... perhaps someone didn't think so either) ... much less Des Moines... but I'm appreciative of those who think it's the 'most underrated' (what are there... 9 Omaha forum members? HAH)

Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Wow, I don't think Omaha deserves to be alongside these other cities (guess that's why it's italicized... perhaps someone didn't think so either) ... much less Des Moines... but I'm appreciative of those who think it's the 'most underrated' (what are there... 9 Omaha forum members? HAH)

lol. It's italisized because it shows which one you voted for.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:52 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
So now we know which one you voted for...

And since we're confessing, I voted for Baltimore.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I'd say Cincinnati. The area and the surrounding suburbs in Northern Kentucky and Ohio are some of the most beautiful places to live in the country, and very affordable. Cincinnati gets a bad rap because parts of the town have high crime rates.

For me Cincy lackluster reputation isnt about crime , rather location.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Austin is probably the most overrated city I have ever been to. Fort Worth which is not on the list must be the most underrated city in the USA

Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesvillian View Post
your not so Mr. Coolio this time, more like Mr. Snoozio,:P just playing. but you did put some cities on that list that are OVERatted in fact, like Austin, Dallas, Houston, St. Louis. and some cities that shouldnt even be on there, like Seattle, Omaha, Portland, Charlette, those cities arent either overated or underated. But you didnt put Detroit! (THE most underated city in my opinion).

Minneapolis: a great city with a striving economy, not underated or overated
Portland: Great city with a neat message, not underated or overated
New Orleans: Neat history, but its to bad about what happened with hurricane katrina, it will be a good city again, underated
St. Louis: considered a great city by alot of people because its the gateway to the west and it has the beautiful arch, nothing against St. Louis, but other than the arch, not much else to do downtown, and parts of it are real ugly, overated
Des Moines: small midwestern town with its thriving economy most likely in the future, to early to tell if its overated or underated
Omaha: talked about a little to much on this forum, but that doesnt mean its overated, its not underated either
Cincinnati: Interesting city with a neat baseball culture, and history aswell, i like visiting it, but wouldnt like to live there, Overated
Cleveland: Not the most exciting place ive visited, not the worst either, but i dont think i want to go back. not overated or underated
Columbus: City much like Indianapolis, a more progresed city than it was in the past, with very little history, but its not that bad, and its not overated or underated.
Austin: In my oppinion, its fairly overated, mostly because i dont see much to do there, and its like most texan cities, HUGE population, overall i think Texas is overated
Dallas: Overated, alot of people say its a great city, but its dirty, and it has a high crime rate, and the skyline/downtown looks kind of dull for a city with 1 million people
Houston: I know that it is growing rapidly, but i dont see why people want to live there, great skyline, but other than that, what else is there to do downtown other than work? Overated
San Antonio: I know that San Antonio has the historic Alamo, but what else? Overated
Madison: Beautiful midwestern small town, and it has a great economy, i wouldnt mind living there, its not at the top of my list though. neither overated or underated
Milwaukee: I dont hear much about that city because of nearby Chicago, so im going to have to say Underated
Seattle: Great city and most people know that, so i dont think it should be on this list
Oklahoma City: it has Huge boundrees of 600 some square miles! but only less than 1000 people per square mile, doesnt make since to me.. i cant say much other than that, so in my opinion, not overated or underated
Charolette: Once again, good city, doesnt deserve to be on this list
Baltimore: I believe theres something special about this city, its one of those places that are loosing alot of people, but i would like to go see what its like someday. Underated

and traveler87, dont give me an infraction again because i disagree about cleveland. alright?

vision-quest
We gotta a Texas Hater in the building. Dallas has a great skyline I am not sure what you drinkin but everybody has there opinion. Like the old sayin say Every things is bigger in Texas.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:08 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Who ever made this list has Houston and Dallas on the list. I am trying to figure out how two world class cities are on this list. The most underrated city in the U.S. is Fort Worth and its not even on the list.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
I suppose a lot of these are underrated in some ways.

But Austin and Dallas are two that are definitely not! I'm sick of always hearing about how great Austin is... well, it's not. And Dallas is overblown on its own ego. These two are overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.