Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 36,214 times

Advertisements

I love this city, but it's too expensive for us to stay here and raise a family (26y old couple, no kids yet--just thinking about our future in the next 3-4 yrs) I've been trying to look at places in Texas, but it seems so blah. We like the Phoenix area, but it too is expensive and so far from family. I haven't touched any northern states-don't want to deal with snow. Any suggestions on affordable places with good public schools to raise a family??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 PM

24 posts, read 68,125 times
There are going to be alot of people bark at this, but Oklahoma!, I have lived here most of my life, just moved back here from Michigan. I do not have any children and cannot stand to sit still, so me and my other half are getting ready to move to the New Orleans area, (thats why an Oklahoman is in a New Orleans thread), but Oklahoma has alot to offer now days, good suburbs of OK city, some really good school systems, and we are about to get the Seattle nba team here. What kind of work do you do?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM

24 posts, read 68,125 times
Phoenix is horrible....have you ever been there? It is so dirty, I could not stand it when I was there briefly.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:40 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
Best places might be Chapel Hill, NC, Athens or Decatur GA for a New Orleanian.

that said, it is expensive but I'll do whatever it takes to stay.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteezcj View Post
There are going to be alot of people bark at this, but Oklahoma!, I have lived here most of my life, just moved back here from Michigan. I do not have any children and cannot stand to sit still, so me and my other half are getting ready to move to the New Orleans area, (thats why an Oklahoman is in a New Orleans thread), but Oklahoma has alot to offer now days, good suburbs of OK city, some really good school systems, and we are about to get the Seattle nba team here. What kind of work do you do?
Actually, I agree about Oklahoma

Additionally, check out Greenville, South Carolina or places in Alabama like Birmingham and Anniston

Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Best places might be Chapel Hill, NC, Athens or Decatur GA for a New Orleanian.

that said, it is expensive but I'll do whatever it takes to stay.
She said "affordable"!!! Don't send the poor girl to Chapel Hill (though it is a very nice place!)

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
personally if I lived in the New Orleans area I would just move to Gretna or osmething. After staying there a few times, it really isnt that bad of a place. Some parts are really nice and its just across the river from N.O. for easy access.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
North of Austin, Williamson County or north of Dallas - Collin County, both in Texas. Those would be my first choices. Both are nice areas, but both are highly suburban as well. Both have excellent school districts. Austin has the hill country and a very eclectic personality to it. Collin County has urban commuter rail going as far as Plano with possible future extensions that can get you to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth if need-be.
I like it up north, but I don't know about living up north. I might would consider eastern Tennessee though, Knoxville to the Smokies. That's probably as far north as I'd want to live.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM

144 posts, read 744,110 times
Closer to home, there are some good districts in Baton Rouge...

And I will concur on the Texas suggestions. Good public schools, very affordable housing.

Finally... Oklahoma! Seriously look into it. I would recommend other places more mid-west b/c the cost of living can be great, but you said you are anti-snow.

Northshore would certainly be easy for you two!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteezcj View Post
Phoenix is horrible....have you ever been there? It is so dirty, I could not stand it when I was there briefly.
Really! And the people there are trying to move and get to other places like NC and Georgia!

So, here's what I'd vote for of all those listed so far as nice affordable cities with good quality of life:

Texas (Crawford, Belton)
Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)
North Carolina (Greensboro, Winston Salem)
South Carolina (Greenville)
Alabama (Birmingham)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.