Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Central Jersey is sort of a combination of Philly/NY....South Jersey is partially an suburb of Philly, and the rest is rural or shore towns.
Depends on what part of central Jersey,when I lived in Somerset County pretty much everything was still geared towards NY. We didn't even acknowledge Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,315 times
Quote:
on the whole i agree w/ you TJ, but honestly, more crowded, more diverse? i suggest visiting New Brunswick, Highland Park, Edison, Montclair, Bloomfield, Woodbridge, Clifton, Fort Lee, Weehawken, Secaucus, Cliffside Park, Union City, Bayonne, Atlantic City and get back to me.
I should have rephrased this better; both states have diverse populations, but I find Maryland to be more integrated than NJ. There is no disputing the diversity in NJ; it does have the second highest Indian population in the US and the second highest Arabic concentration in the nation as well. So yes, both are diverse, but Maryland seems to be more integrated.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
If you think MD is south (even NOVA) then you have never been in the south.
True to some extent. But Maryland had Jim Crow laws. The University of Maryland did not admit blacks until the late 50s/early 60s.

As for today, sure, Montgomery and PG counties are northern for the most part. But beyond there, people have southern accents and there are not a few Stars & Bars flying in places such as Edgewater.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
I should have rephrased this better; both states have diverse populations, but I find Maryland to be more integrated than NJ. There is no disputing the diversity in NJ; it does have the second highest Indian population in the US and the second highest Arabic concentration in the nation as well. So yes, both are diverse, but Maryland seems to be more integrated.
you're probably right about that

Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

As for today, sure, Montgomery and PG counties are northern for the most part. But beyond there, people have southern accents and there are not a few Stars & Bars flying in places such as Edgewater.
ahahaha! you're not from Maryland, i can tell

Old 11-22-2014, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,853 times
I thing nj is very bad all the gangs and bad thing who even likes nj.I hate Newark and east orange .Nj loses.Maryland wins they have better homes better schools for your kids move to Maryland so that you can't be in nj

Old 11-23-2014, 02:55 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,451 times
I've lived in both. I would pick MD hands down over NJ, but I have no desire to move back to either one.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:43 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,440 times
I would go w/ Maryland for the simple fact that you can pump your own gas.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYLAND123 View Post
I thing nj is very bad all the gangs and bad thing who even likes nj.I hate Newark and east orange .Nj loses.Maryland wins they have better homes better schools for your kids move to Maryland so that you can't be in nj
I love Maryland, but let's not act like Baltimore has no gangs. It also seems Maryland overall has more crime per capita too (since you're worried about safety):

10 States With the Highest Rates of Violent Crime - FindLaw Blotter

EDIT: good lord I didn't realize how old this thread was

Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYLAND123 View Post
You do realize that Baltimore (which has a higher crime rate than many places in NJ) is located in Maryland, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.