Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 09:31 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Really? I find that surprising. I mean, I've never been, but it has a lot going for it: nice downtown; beautiful parks, including Olympic Centennial Park; racially diverse; light rail that connects to major international airport; 5 major league sports teams; GSU and GA Tech; museums; aquarium; zoo; botanical garden; and plenty of eating and drinking establishments. Looks like a great place to live. Sure, I suppose it's uncool and very traffic-y if you live in a sleepy outer suburb, but the same can be said of almost every city.
I'm personally with you, and not lizap when it comes to Atlanta. Anyone who says a stupid remark like that, has obviously not explored Atlanta deeply enough. And while yes some suburbs of Atlanta might be bland, you could honestly say this for most suburban areas of any bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 04:14 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Atlanta is definitely cool. There is an Absurd amount of people, yes mostly
Black that moved there because it’s Atlanta and no other real reason. Obviously a growing population and strong job growth also help a lot.

Also on Atlanta not being racially diverse it’s not even majority black, on top of that black people aren’t the biggest race in Atlanta, and the Asian and Hispanic population is very fast-growing.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:23 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
I don't know the coolest state but Washington, Florida, and Arizona are the hottest states, gaining the most population over the last year or two.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:17 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
ATL has a lot of great offerings for black people but I never got the hype around it. The city gives off a negative vibe for me.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:26 AM

505 posts, read 250,479 times
Atlanta is very cool. It's Hollywood southeast now. And the black capital. Undeniable.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:18 AM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I’m assuming you mean a large African American population when you say ‘racially diverse’.
Yes, and no. I'm going off of C-D's population stats:

Black: 48.5%
White: 39.1%
Asian: 5.3%
Hispanic: 4.9%

Given that Blacks make up just 13.6% of the US population, this means Atlanta is a lot more diverse on this dimension alone. But still a significant Asian and Hispanic population as well.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:19 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Atlanta is very cool. It's Hollywood southeast now. And the black capital. Undeniable.
The brush is wearing off of Atlanta now. It very much was so during the heights of the pandemic, but there has been a big slowdown and retraction in Atlanta.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:23 AM

383 posts, read 181,467 times
Alaska will ALWAYS be cool

Old 11-08-2022, 08:49 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
I would say Tennessee is a relatively new addition to "cool".

Nashville is cool. Chattanooga is considered pretty cool also. Lots of people are moving to the state overall. It's also a little less extreme in the summer compared to deeper in the south.

Other states were either already cool, or are neutral/not cool.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:46 AM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Yes, and no. I'm going off of C-D's population stats:

Black: 48.5%
White: 39.1%
Asian: 5.3%
Hispanic: 4.9%

Given that Blacks make up just 13.6% of the US population, this means Atlanta is a lot more diverse on this dimension alone. But still a significant Asian and Hispanic population as well.
The Hispanics and Asian population are usually out in the burbs instead of being in the city anyway.

Just drive along Buford Highway in NE part of Metro Atlanta...

Atlanta (city proper) demographics reminds me somewhat of DC - also very black and white with a dividing line, areas that are gentrifying, with very diverse suburbs.

Personally to me Atlanta is not really "cool"...it's not a bad place to live but as they said, it's "too busy to hate" as its reputation is more of a place where corporate type can make a living. Reminds me of Dallas (which is anything but "cool") in that sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.