Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 10:45 AM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If somewhere is cheap, it's usually for a reason. High cost-of-living areas benefit from good job markets, higher salaries, higher quality of life, better public schools, etc. which is why it typically costs more to live there.
I don't think this is universally true. Some places are more expensive primarily because land for new housing is limited and/or regulations have artificially constrained supply. Whereas other places have both good schools and affordable housing because the city is well managed and has planned for growth.

Take for example this 2700 sqft house in Omaha for $395k. High GreatSchools ratings across the board, from 8-10. You can't buy anything in SF for anywhere near this price, and the schools for this house in Omaha as good if not better than most SF neighborhoods (also, school assignments in SF are kinda unpredictable).

Regarding salary. Per salary.com, median pay for Accountant II in SF is $85k whereas the same job in Omaha is $65k. So yes, salaries in SF are higher, but the median home price in SF is $1.3M. You can easily live on $65k in Omaha and home-ownership is within reach, but living on $85k in SF would be a stretch and buying a home is completely out of reach.

Ah, but what about quality of life? I'd argue that this very subjective and personal. Omaha has more going that you may expect. Of course it's not at the same level as SF or NYC, but it's also not rural or devoid of culture. Lower crime, lower cost of living, a clean downtown with lots of restaurants and things to do. Many people would find QoL in Omaha better, especially compared to barely scraping by in a HCOL area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 02:50 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
One of the main reasons I am in St Louis is the COL for my lifestyle is significantly lower than in Denver, San Diego or many other cities. My salary doesn't change with where I live.

The premium I would pay to live in the DMV or Boston just doesn't seem worth it unless I was young starting my career in tech or working for the government. There seems to be a lot more upward trajectory in larger premium cities for certain entry-level professionals.

It really depends upon where the individual is in their life. Some choose based on lifestyle others career. There is no right answer to OPs question.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:11 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Medians in metro:
Seattle $848k
Sammamish $1.32 million
Redmond $1.19 million

Beyond the metro:
Arlington $569k
Sequim $599k
Mt. Vernon $570k
But good luck finding a nice house in a good area of Arlington or Mt. Vernon for that price. They go fast and many of the houses in those price ranges have issues. Many people end of over spending on the house or living in area near crime, the freeway, in a flood zone or near train tracks to get lower prices in outlying towns. The nice houses will still be expensive. There's more variability in housing stock in rural towns.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:36 PM

783 posts, read 695,595 times
So awhile ago I made a map in QGIS of all the metro areas by how affordable they are for housing. Other things matter, but not nearly as much imo and from looking at what people actually say when they move to a sunbelt city for a cheaper house.

You can take a look at which metro areas are the most expensive. I got the data from realtor.com & the Census Bureau.

As you can see the most expensive metro areas in the country per sq foot are in the Bay Area. (San Jose specifically) But the most expensive metros in the country of size when accounting for housing costs are #1 Honolulu & #2 LA. They are both 7x the median household income. Miami, San Diego & SF all are next and about even at ~6.15x the income. You pay a heavy toll for warm weather/beautiful landscapes. So live in amazing weather if you want, but you will pay for that. This also assumes that you can make the median household income which is very high in the Bay area.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:19 PM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
Generally it's true in the long run. Exception being special situations like vacation areas where home prices will be well above local median income because of wealthy vacation home buyers. Short term there can be mismatches as people migrate but those equalize over time.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:22 PM

193 posts, read 152,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If somewhere is cheap, it's usually for a reason. High cost-of-living areas benefit from good job markets, higher salaries, higher quality of life, better public schools, etc. which is why it typically costs more to live there.
This. And those things are, for the most part, worth the extra cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.