U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Mayor change: provide more jobs, privatize the airport, mass transportation, reduce wage tax

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,836 times
Default If elected mayor of a certain crummy city or town, how will you change or improve things?

If elected mayor of a certain crummy US large city or small town, how will you change or improve things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 AM

5,824 posts, read 11,242,744 times
No offense to Detroit (not saying it's crummy), but they probably need a new mayor. They've been trying to kick Kwame Kilpatrick out of office for a while now because of his purjery charges (and possibly some other nonflattering things).

I'm sure being mayor of a city that's seen a downtown economically, like Detroit, would be hard. It would take an ambitious and creative person to help it. Mostly it would take somebody who actually gets things done.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 AM

769 posts, read 1,424,391 times
If I was mayor of the Chocolate City a.k.a. New Orleans I would try to provide more jobs. Maybe I'd start a build your own house program for all those folks who lost their houses because of Katrina. I'd also try to bring in some more international businesses to help spice up an already spicey pot.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 AM

12,634 posts, read 18,490,215 times
If mayor of Atlanta, I would:

Order an independent audit
Privatize the airport (which has been a cookie jar for every administration since the 70's)
Trim the fat from city govt (firing friends and family of the previous mayors would likely cut the payroll in half)
Fire the Police Chief, revamp the police dept budget and create a larger police presence downtown
Institute a hard-line policy with regard to vagrants and panhandlers downtown.
Turn over Underground Atlanta to private ownership and push for legalized gambling in that district.
Consolidate all mass transportation initiatives in the metro area.

All of this would likely make me the most unpopular mayor in the city's history.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:21 PM

26,044 posts, read 45,074,088 times
If I were mayor of Scranton:
  • Reduce Wage Tax
I would first seek to locate new sources of revenue generation in order to significantly reduce the city's outrageous 3.4% wage tax. The lowest I could possibly reduce it to would be 1.0%, since that is what the city's public school district levies upon taxpayers, but that remaining 2.4% could most certainly be raised in more efficient means that won't encourage people to move out of the city. One such source would be an amusement tax in which surcharges would be placed upon concert tickets, bowling league tournaments, movie tickets, etc. so that those partaking in such events, many of who live in the suburbs, would pony up. Another way to raise funds would be to enact a 1% city sales tax. With the exception of perhaps car dealers, who may squabble that potential buyers will have to pay an additional $200 on a $20,000 vehicle purchase, most other day-to-day purchases that taxed people $0.01 on every $1 spent wouldn't be noticeable. For example, if John and Jane Doe and their two children dined out at a nice city restaurant for dinner and had a bill of $75, they'd be subject to just $0.75 to the city's sales tax. Even in these tough times that's mere pocket change. Hopefully revenues generated from the new sales tax and amusement tax would be plenty to offset the 2.4% city wage tax and shift s of the financial burden of providing city services off of residents themselves and onto suburbanites and visitors who likewise utilize these services for free under the current system.

The wage tax is one of the few remaining hurdles in attracting new residents to Scranton. We've seen several families, including a college professor who now works at the University of Scranton, who moved to our area from other states and only wrote off Scranton proper because of its high wage tax. These folks all settled in adjacent suburbs instead of further contributing to the city's renaissance.
  • Enact Tourism/Relocation Promotion Campaign

Scranton is right on the newer outer edge of the ever-expanding BosWash Corridor. With fuel prices edging ever higher now is the perfect time for the Electric City to capitalize upon its strategic location just two hours from Philadelphia or New York City by creating a massive new campaign for not only tourism promotion but also for relocation to those who may seek a slower pace-of-life, lower cost-of-living, better schools, cleaner air, etc. than what they currently have in the cities. Newspaper ads, television commercials, flyers, banners on the sides of buses, etc. would all be fine ways to promote a new web site giving people more information about a weekend getaway or a whole new life in Scranton, PA.
  • Capitalize Upon "The Office"

I've always been amazed at how little our city does to leech off of the novelty of the hit NBC sitcom "The Office" that is set in Scranton. Yes, there was a somewhat disastrous convention held last Fall in which we endured flooding downpours the entire time along with the noticeable absence of John Krasinski, Jena Fischer, Rainn Wilson, and Steve Carrell, but why not more? What about some sort of "The Office" museum that would feature some outfits, props, etc. donated by the show's producers as a goodwill gesture to the city complete with a gift shop run by the city that would profit nicely off of "Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party" t-shirts, season DVDs, and other novelties. A small sign could be erected along I-81 to direct tourists traveling through the region to the downtown location, at which point they may be tempted to also stroll through town a bit to eat or do some shopping. The convention should be made an annual event.
  • Lure In Downtown Housing Developers

Nationwide there is a trend of suburbanites and exurbanites trading in their SUVs and long commutes for the pleasures of in-town living. Sadly Scranton still has been a laggard with no downtown living options. The bare bones exist for a flourising residential neighborhood to really take off---movie theater, shopping mall, churches, employers, university campus, hospitals, cultural center, bars, restaurants, clothing stores, etc., but there is no housing available to meet an untapped demand. Adding a few hundred new housing units downtown to cater to variable demographics would increase foot traffic, decrease crime, spur existing businesses, and make it viable to open up new businesses to latch onto that increased foot traffic. A healthy, vibrant downtown will normally radiate its benefits to help gentrify adjacent neighborhoods.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,678,661 times
If I were the mayor of this small city, I would insist that we exist within the budget that has been set; that perfectly good streets would not be continuously torn up just to keep DOT workers busy; and that one particular high school would stop trying to terrorize neighboring home owners into selling their homes so that the school can build a new, adjacent athletic facility. Student enrollment is dropping and this city has 5 high schools. I'm pretty sure that consolidation would be a viable option and the other schools all have nice athletic fields. I'm sure that there are SO MANY other things that could be fixed but those popped into my head first.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,099,814 times
If I were mayor of Portland Oregon I would: Investigate several aspects of this city. Beginning with why there was so much poverty and homelessness and drug usage in such a small city. I would no longer allow public displays of homeless camps and drug useage in public view as has been going on. THere would be mandotory rehab or jail. I would beg the govenor to begin a sales tax in Oregon. A tax that would fund our poorly funded schools as well as our police depts. I would begin a program to attract businesses and employment to this area as well as studies into what is causing them to go elsewhere. I would try to instill in our citizens that Portland is a city for all, not certain select segments of society. Our lack of diversity and Radical Politics is an embarrassment and definitely a cause of some of our social problems. I would begin a complete investigation into our transit company TRIMET. I would put them on notice if they are to operate in Portland they are to provide proper security and end the honor system of fare payment or take a hike. I would definitely investigate thier numerous rate hikes yet the loss of thousands of dollars in loss revenue daily. This lack of revenue due to large numbers of riders that do not pay at the expense of those that do . These added fare hikes to make up for loss revenue at the expense of the paying citizen would not fly with me as mayor.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM

79 posts, read 126,591 times
If I were the mayor of my current location (Bayonne, NJ) I would cut off all the "old money" that overrides the authority of the city council, as well as entirely dissolve the BLRA and put a stop to PATH and other corporations owning parts of our town. I would stop focusing on residential expansion (condos on every available spot, and on some that aren't available) and actually try to bring jobs back to the town instead of catering solely to wealthier out-of-towners, raising property taxes and trying to drive the residents of the city out who have been here for generations.

Instead of putting the commercial district on the far side of town, across the highway by the waterfront it needs to return to the main strip, which is a continually growing field of abandoned buildings and empty lots. They also really need to finish building the community museum that's been under construction for 10 years now, also shine attention on our small (read: dead) art scene.

Instead of just being a bedroom for the NYC/Hoboken crowd, there are many things that could be done with the city to make it as much of a desirable stop.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,737,828 times
I'd just declare martial law

Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 AM

13 posts, read 4,319 times
Where ever you are AT, you need "culture" AND, you must -fight crime- "Crime" may be weeds growing out of the curbs of your STREETS - everyplace. We need better maintenance and also a better National scope -study- to-that-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.