Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,228 times

Advertisements

Which county is better? Bergen County (In Northern New Jersey) or Nassau County, NY? (Which is basically Long Island, not too far away from Bergen County) .. I think Nassau is better because there's more diversity and I heard the people there are nice. I live in Bergen & I hate it especially my area. The education might be better but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Nassau is more diverse? Both counties are almost 80 percent white. The only difference demographically between the two counties is that Bergen has more Asians than Nassau and Nassau has more black people than Bergen. Also, Nassau has a bit higher median HH income (though we're splitting hairs here because both are very affluent overall, identical poverty %).

I prefer Bergen, because it has some great little towns, more rugged terrain for hiking, and it's on the US mainland. Nassau has some nice beaches, but Long Island is a pain in the tuchus to drive to from almost anywhere.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:14 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
I'd probably go with the north shore of Nassau only because I know it and don't really know Jersey but lammius makes a good point that L.I. is annoying to get to anywhere from. I guess if I was forced to live outside NYC it'd be Westchester.

...now can we move this thread to the NY forum

Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I'd put this in the NY forum, not the entire united states

Old 03-20-2011, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 13,887 times
Both Bergen and Nassau Counties are wonderful places to live, but, in my humble opinion, Bergen comes out on top between the two.
Here's why:
1) Bergen County is more eclectic, with several eclectic downtowns, as well as bordering adjacent Manhattan directly. In fact, I've heard the expression that Bergen County is actually a suburban extension of Manhattan.
2) The beautiful (while simultaneously world's busiest) George Washington Bridge is right here.
3) The topography is more inviting, from the beautiful Palisades Cliffs overlooking the Hudson River to the beautiful Ramapo Mountains.
4) No offense to the rest of New Jersey, which is truly is an impressive state on its own merit, but Bergen County really is different from every other county in New Jersey. Bergen is a veritably chic and authentic combination of urban New York City and suburban New Jersey psyches.
5) The highways in New Jersey incorporate safety reflectors (raised pavement markers) between the lane stripes, which New York State highways for the most part do not seem to have. These reflectors are actually very functional and valuable at nighttime and in bad weather.
6) The park system in Bergen County is absolutely amazing.
7) The shopping is arguably better in Bergen.
8) New Jersey is more accessible than Long Island from the most of the Northeast.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Bergen County is home, so it gets my vote.

Bergen County has dozens of little walkable downtown's and so many different types of communities. It's a very interesting place- Sure it's mostly suburban, but it's the charming type of suburbia. Good public transportation, BC literally is a shopping mecca of the NYC region (there's over 5 shopping malls), rolling hills towards the north western area of the county (Ramapo mtns) and I can't forget the food! Growing up in BC, there was always great pizzeria's/italian restaurants, delis, bagel shops, asian cuisene, and of course... the Bakeries!
I also believe BC has one of, if not the highest graduation rates (high school) in the nation.

Nassau county is very similar really, it's just a bit more isolated and harder to break free from (not to sound dramatic, because it's not that bad)- Though you do get the beaches. I especially love the north shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.