U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which of the following represents the most true southern state?
Georgia 30 8.80%
Louisiana 16 4.69%
Mississippi 180 52.79%
Alabama 82 24.05%
South Carolina 33 9.68%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM

3,014 posts, read 5,829,388 times
Default What is the most "southern" state?

not logistically speaking, what state is the most southern? You know, which state do you consider to have the most southern values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,103,608 times
Whenever I think of the south I immediately think Alabama.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,182,954 times
I immediately think of either Alabama or Mississippi. Probably followed by South Carolina

Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,776,518 times
MS, probably.

Alabama is a close second.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,409,407 times
Alabama is the first state I think of also when I think of the south, its not so overrun like Georgia,SC,NC or Florida and not so advertised and popular like New Orleans,Louisiana and South Texas, so that leaves the southermost states Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 AM

10 posts, read 109,386 times
i live in al and i would have to say miss. is the most stuck in the past if that is what you mean by southern wish i lived there

Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 AM

12,791 posts, read 18,917,527 times
Mississippi to me has the most unadulterated southern culture...my mother was a native of Hattiesburg, and visiting her family was like walking into a William Faulkner novel. I was from GA and still felt out of place...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 AM

9,016 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Mississippi, hands down. Alabama would come in a close 2nd, but because of all the Northerners in places like Huntsville and (to a lesser extent) Birmingham it's not quite as Southern as Mississippi.

Mississippi really is like stepping back in time, no matter where you are. Its one "big" city, Jackson, is still steeped in Old South culture. Its fastest growing area, DeSoto County, is a suburb of Memphis, another Old South area.

I went to grad school at Ole Miss, the quintessential Southern university in Oxford, the quintessential Southern college town and home of William Faulkner. People from all over the world descend on Oxford to learn about Southern culture, and holy cow do they get it.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM

8,183 posts, read 11,202,621 times
Alabama with Mississippi a real close 2nd.
Then probably SC.

Love them all...love the South!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM

9,800 posts, read 10,951,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Mississippi, hands down. Alabama would come in a close 2nd, but because of all the Northerners in places like Huntsville and (to a lesser extent) Birmingham it's not quite as Southern as Mississippi.

Mississippi really is like stepping back in time, no matter where you are. Its one "big" city, Jackson, is still steeped in Old South culture. Its fastest growing area, DeSoto County, is a suburb of Memphis, another Old South area.

I went to grad school at Ole Miss, the quintessential Southern university in Oxford, the quintessential Southern college town and home of William Faulkner. People from all over the world descend on Oxford to learn about Southern culture, and holy cow do they get it.
I agree with this, and others who have listed it the same way (Mississippi followed by Alabama). Just on a related tangent, there was a thread a while back which asked posters to "rank" the states as to their "Southerness" (or at least those considered part of the U.S. Census Bureau definition of the South).

Anyway, I am just going to "copy and paste" my own ranks and rationale below (but limit it to the 5 choices given on this thread).

5. Louisiana (the northern part of the state is Deep South. The reason I rank it #5 is that there is a heavy Catholic and French Cajun influence in the southern part which, while Southern in its way, is not typical of the true Deep South).

4. South Carolina - (The first state to secede, and with the most support within. The only reason it might be not be ranked "most Southern" is the colonial influence and its own certain brand of independence.)

3. Georgia - (Gone With the Wind. The Empire State of The South, epitome of the "southern accent". ONLY problem is Atlanta nowdays!)

2. Alabama - (Azaleas, plantations, DEEP Deep South thru and thru. Literally, in all ways, the geographical "Heart of Dixie" whether or not one defines "The South" by the Old Confederacy, or the commonly thought of Deep South states (South Carolina thru Louisiana). Only reason it is second is that the northern part is a bit different from the Old South way of life).

1. Mississippi - (I might mention that this is my own ancestral state, but I dont think that fact influences my opinion. LOL Anyway, Mississippi combines all things commonly considered "Southern" with very few dilutions at all).

Interesting thread, by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.