U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:08 PM

88 posts, read 220,482 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a 24 year old single mother of a 2 year old girl and full time college student. I will be graduating in a little over a year. I've been living in Richmond Virginia all my life and want to move. I would love a big metro city but have concerns about being single with a small child. So... I need some place with great schools, that's safe, with good public transportation, decent sized apartments, close to shopping and muesums, etc. I'm also considering Chicago and San Antonio but tell me about some other places. I will receiving a degree in business management and marketing and I'm a licensed esthetician so I'd say my income would be around $35,000 +.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-04-2008 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Young Single Mother

Hi,
I'm a 24 year old single mother of a 2 year old girl and full time college student. I will be graduating in a little over a year. I've been living in Richmond Virginia all my life and want to move. I would love a big metro city but have concerns about being single with a small child. So... I need some place with great schools, that's safe, with good public transportation, decent sized apartments, close to shopping and muesums, etc. I'm considering Lincoln Park Chicago but tell me about some other places. I will receiving a degree in business management and marketing and I'm a licensed esthetician so I'd say my income would be around $35,000 +.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:33 PM

421 posts, read 213,873 times
What's your point? Are you trying to rope in some sucker to be a father to someone else's children?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:45 PM

4,165 posts, read 5,254,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
What's your point? Are you trying to rope in some sucker to be a father to someone else's children?
That's uncalled for. Don't you think you are jumping to conclusions?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,910,556 times
At $35k a year, as a single parent, you'll want to shoot for the most affordable cities. Sorry to break the news, but you probably wouldn't be able to live comfortably in major cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. In these places, you probably wouldn't be able to live in a big apartment located in nice, safe area that's zoned for good schools, unless you want to give up everything else. It's too much of a longshot.

Less trendy, more affordable cities are likely to give you more of what you want at a reasonable price.

Saint Louis, for example, is very affordable, and there are quite a few nice areas that could be reasonable to you. It's not NYC, but it does have some cosmopoltian aspects.

The Texas cities could be good too. They're larger, they tend to have nice urban downtowns, and they're quite affordable. Plus, the schools tend to be pretty good.

Closer to home, maybe Baltimore? There are some bad areas, but if you shop around, you can find plenty of nice areas at a decent price. It's actually a pretty nice city. The density will probably appeal to you.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:55 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,147,297 times
For how large and cosmopolitan it is, Minneapolis is very affordable. Portland, OR is supposed to be pretty affordable. Denver is nice, but may be a little out of your price range. Atlanta isn't as affordable as it used to be, but it's still quite affordable for what the city offers. Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are always good cities for situations like this. St. Louis is a good choice. Pittsburgh is very affordable. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA are good towns. Columbus and Cincinnati, OH.

To live the most glamorous life in a large city, Austin and Minneapolis would be my first choices.

Maybe if you tell us more about what you're looking for...like the climate or if you have family in certain areas that you would like to be near.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 AM

2,746 posts, read 9,838,143 times
Quote:
God, what a jerk.

Anyway, while I live here (San Antonio) and pretty much hate it, Texas IS affordable and might suit your needs if you can stand the weather. Cost of living here is decent. I paid under 80k for a 3 bedroom house.. I'm not in the "best" area but even the better areas are still pretty reasonable. PARTS of town are accessible with public transportation anyway. We could live quite comfortably on 35k a year here I imagine.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 AM

5,216 posts, read 9,020,203 times
Quote:
Um, what?

Anyway, I'm wondering how open you would be to suburbs close to a city. Also, specifically what your price range is for housing, as everyone has a different idea of what is "too expensive." Not being sure without a number for you rmaximum price, I will still agree with those who conclude that the Northeast corridor's big cities have some of the highest costs of living, and would be tough on pay of 35k. I like jessemh's suggestion of Minneapolis. If you're open to most regions of the country, another Midwestern city I would suggest is Columbus. Economically healthy, yet still has a fairly modest cost of living. Public transit is all by bus, but there are some gentrified inner-city neighborhoods where transit should not be a problem, as well as some nearby suburbs that border, or nearly border, the city, which are nice pleasant towns, with solid local shopping, but are still not nearly as expensive as well-to-do 'burbs in the Northeast, around the Bay Area, etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 AM

4,165 posts, read 5,254,832 times
I suspect the cost of raising the child is going to seriously limit how many living choices you will have. 35k for yourself would give you a fair number of options especially if you only plan to rent for a few years. But adding the child into the mix and you will be limited to living in only the most affordable cities in the country. As someone mentioned earlier some smaller metro areas would probably be your best bet from a cost of living standpoint as larger metro areas tend to be more expensive.

Pittsburgh and St. Louis and probably Cincinnati would be exceptions to this rule. Each metro area exceeds 2 million people, has a climate that is at least somewhat close to that of Richmond and will have affordable apartments. Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, while smaller also have an ample amount of affordable apartments.

You should probably identify which areas of the country have jobs in your field and then research each area to see which one offers the most bang for your buck and then offers most of the things you need to give you the quality of life you desire in your price range and income level.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
For how large and cosmopolitan it is, Minneapolis is very affordable. Portland, OR is supposed to be pretty affordable. Denver is nice, but may be a little out of your price range. Atlanta isn't as affordable as it used to be, but it's still quite affordable for what the city offers. Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are always good cities for situations like this. St. Louis is a good choice. Pittsburgh is very affordable. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA are good towns. Columbus and Cincinnati, OH.

To live the most glamorous life in a large city, Austin and Minneapolis would be my first choices.

Maybe if you tell us more about what you're looking for...like the climate or if you have family in certain areas that you would like to be near.
I would prefer 4 seasons but the weather does bother me I can work with it. I have a decent car now it's only 3 years old. I'm also basing my income on VA standards like McDonalds here pays $8 per hour and pays $15 per hour in New York I'm guessing that's how it works. If the transportation system is good like New York and Chicago I could sell my car but if not I'll keep it. Just thinking about gas and travel time and parking. My major concern is safety, schools and liveliness of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.