U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 PM

259 posts, read 737,310 times

Advertisements

Let me start out by saying, I love this country and I want to die here, so I am not a hater. Now, let me say this.

I love to walk and run. In Sweden were I am from you can basically walk everywhere. I am from a little suburb, about 10 miles south of Stockholm.
You can step out of your door and walk anywhere you want without worrying about being hit by a car. I have after a night of drinking in the city, walked, at 2.00 am with my friends, on pedestrian roads all the way home. Yes, 10 miles is quite a walk but it got me sober. I really miss that.
Here, in the states, you almost always have to go to a park to find safe walking environments.
So, that’s been my 2-cent with of complaining. Have a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM

5,775 posts, read 9,292,685 times
Move to a more rural suburb and perhaps you will be closer to oudoor recreation. My hometown in Connecticut is surrounded by hills and forests that are open to hikers. No fee involved. You can also find plenty of trails in most areas of rural New England.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:00 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,286,846 times
I'm not sure what you mean by walking trails. Where I live outside Boston there is an enormous forest to walk in. But there are also sidewalks on every single street so you can walk the 8 miles into Boston without worrying about cars, but these aren't "pedestrian roads". There is the Minuteman trail but that's just one example, there are similar smaller trails around town where I live in Winchester, but not a complicated network. and they're sketchier than sidewalks at night anyways.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by walking trails. Where I live outside Boston there is an enormous forest to walk in. But there are also sidewalks on every single street so you can walk the 8 miles into Boston without worrying about cars, but these aren't "pedestrian roads". There is the Minuteman trail but that's just one example, there are similar smaller trails around town where I live in Winchester, but not a complicated network. and they're sketchier than sidewalks at night anyways.
If she were to move to Simsbury, CT she'd be able to walk around the numerous trails of McLean Game Refuge forest. And even the developed areas of town are quite safe to walk around. There also are trails at area reservoirs that serve the city of Hartford. There are plenty of safe areas in Farmington and West Hartford that can be utilized by walkers during the day and night.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I know because I don't think they have anything similar in the States. I f I were to walk outside my house the majority of the roads are pedestrian roads. Picture it in your head. You actually have to walk 1/8 of a mile to get to your car and them there are one road that will take you to the major freeway or highway. You can let your kids out playing on the streets because there are no vehicles driving there. Thats how it is in a lot of suburbs. There is no wonder people in Europe are in better shape then here. They get exercise without even trying. They don't even call it exercise. Walk 2 miles to the store to buy grocery's and 2 miles back is nothing.Thats part of everyday life. Sure, Swedes drive too. We drive a lot but our society is just more pedestrian friendly, thats all.
But like I stated, our country's are very different. And I accept that. I just miss it, thats all.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
walking trail,
What I mean is a concrete road only made for pedestrians and bicyclists.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 PM

Try Overland Park, KS a suburb of KC. Everything around there is paved over including the walking trails. Very antiseptic.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM

5,915 posts, read 9,126,068 times
We have one of those in Knoxville, called a bike trail or greenway. There are more on the drawing boards but for now they are just snippets here and there. Seattle has a lot of good bike trails.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 AM

5,915 posts, read 9,126,068 times
snippet = section. I just realized English is not your 1st language.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

Add the Denver metropolitan area to this list too. Last I knew they had over 400 miles of these paved trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.