U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:09 PM

746 posts, read 3,458,230 times

Advertisements

This is something I've thought of long and often....just what meaning, if any, can one attribute to a "top 10" list? Again, it isn't just for breakfast anymore, as movies, music, and the like are all in that same category. To what extent is it subjective? How do you think they weigh the items?
For cities, how can you even come up with a "top 10" list? Why is it always top 10, which is the funniest of all? Never top 3,5,7, 11, 15.....ALWAYS that safe, same, metric-orientated 10. I think it possible, disregarding for the moment if top 10 lists have any merit at all, that some cities are just in vouge at any time, and appear on them BECAUSE they appear on them, in a tautalogical sense. Denver and Seattle, and to a lesser extent, San Diego, were on them all the time in the 90s, and now seem to have overstayed their welcome in the top 10 world. Austin seems to be the poster child of all time on these lists. What affect has Austins eternal presence on these lists had in generating relocatees? I would say that at least half of all Californians came to Austin SOLELY on the basis of "top 10" lists, trendy as they try to be. This reassures them that they are making the rightmove, and are indeed reaffirming their "coolness" and "wisdom" in making that move to Austin. Just to prove how ridiculous these lists are, check out Kiplingers latest, which ranks Houston as the number one city for relocatees..

No. 1: Houston, Texas - Kiplinger.com

Now, 98% of the ex-Houstonites I've met in Austin loathed Houston, from the stench that emanated 24/7 from the ship canal, to the refineries that dumped toxic plumes like a pox over the metro, the humid stench from may to oct, and the off-the-charts crime, particularly post-Katrina. And this top 10 list placed Houston 1st, which makes you realize how meaingless they truly are....

So, what do you folks out there think of top 10 lists? Pure marketing tools? Just PR for cities? Or is there a certain objective reality about it that I'm missing, that really does guide a large mass of relocatees to herd about enmasse to "hot" destinations they are told are the next big thing?

BTW, here is the holy grail compendium of all the "top 10" lists that Austin has appeared on. Read this completely, and realize that if any city truly lived up to this, it would be by default one of the greatest cities in the history of mankind, from the domestication of agriculture by the babylonians to the current day.....as we all know, who actually live and deal with Austin on a daily basis, this is hardly the case. How can a city which relies on bar band music for 90% of its enterainment, with essentially no museums or pro sports, and abject lack of a decent park system, no paved bike trails, no bike trails that go through the vast majority of the city, an almost non-existant public library system, and a road structure that is built for half the current carrying capacity be on all these lists? What am I missing? Yes, Austin is nice in many ways, but it does not come even close to living up to these lists. Most of it is ugly sprawl, and mega-apartment complexes dominate huge swathes of the north and north west. This selling of "Austin" must rank as one of the greatest PR selling jobs in the history of marketing......

The holy grail of Austin "top 10" lists is as follows...

City of Austin - Austin Rankings

Last edited by scongress1234; 06-01-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
They're utterly unreliable, the subjective product of whatever reporter typed it out on a deadline. They're interesting, but not terribly factual.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,547,612 times
I personally don't care about rankings and top-10 lists and I don't follow them. Seems like a marketing gimmick, designed to lure in unsuspecting suckers too lazy to do their homework.

No way they can rank a city and expect that to represent my individual circumstances.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,182,754 times
No top 10 list would decide my move, EVER!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,455,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Austin seems to be the poster child of all time on these lists. What affect has Austins eternal presence on these lists had in generating relocatees? I would say that at least half of all Californians came to Austin SOLELY on the basis of "top 10" lists, trendy as they try to be. This reassures them that they are making the rightmove, and are indeed reaffirming their "coolness" and "wisdom" in making that move to Austin. Just to prove how ridiculous these lists are, check out Kiplingers latest, which ranks Houston as the number one city for relocatees..

No. 1: Houston, Texas - Kiplinger.com

Now, 98% of the ex-Houstonites I've met in Austin loathed Houston, from the stench that emanated 24/7 from the ship canal, to the refineries that dumped toxic plumes like a pox over the metro, the humid stench from may to oct, and the off-the-charts crime, particularly post-Katrina. And this top 10 list placed Houston 1st, which makes you realize how meaingless they truly are....
I see. It's what you've heard so it must be true?

Please see my previous post on the subject of how Austin grew in popularity here: Cities poised for the future...

I forgot to add in that post that a bunch of transplants (mostly Californians) forever following trends and unable to think for themselves answered the call and voilą! you have the Austin of today.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,169,681 times
Believe any top 10 list, and base a move on one? NO WAY!

With that being said though, I am going to put together a "guys list of the top 10 cities" So if there are any cities that should be included, an all expense paid trip for 12 for a week... two weeks (liqueur,food, drink and song included of course). and a city check that makes you run out of ink. I'll be right over to that city and consider it. Oh wait; Shoot, gave away my plans now somebody else is going to find out it was just a scam. Which would be what I think 99% of the "Top 10" lists are anyway.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:49 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,313,421 times
Those top 10 lists provide a few minutes of entertainment and that's about it...

Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
I would never trust a top 10 list or any list again in my life. They most certainly are marketing gimmicks and one must be very very careful when reading them. They do not cater to most of the population in one way or another. I found many of them really cater to the more affluent person. I make my own list now, and I recommend everyone do the same.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
They're utterly unreliable, the subjective product of whatever reporter typed it out on a deadline. They're interesting, but not terribly factual.
Their reliable, so long as Omaha is on them, Omaha was ranked third on Kiplinger's, yay! What a reliable list!

By the way, these are the factors that made Houston number 1

Population: 5,542,048
Population Growth Since 2000: 14.9%
Percentage of Workforce in Creative Class: 31.3%
Cost-of-Living Index: 88.1 (100 being national average)
Median Household Income: $50,250
Income Growth Since 2000: 13.1%

and what made Omaha number 3!

Population: 821,356
Population Growth Since 2000: 6.6%
Percentage of Workforce in Creative Class: 30%
Cost-of-Living Index: 89.4 (100 being national average)
Median Household Income: $51,627
Income Growth Since 2000: 15.1%

Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,417,663 times
I mostly like the top 10 lists (w/ Austin in them) because it validates that much more my decision to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or