Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,012 times

Advertisements

I want to live in a city that has a lot of good places to go such as museums, theaters, restaurants etc....
A city with at least a fairly educated population, and a lot of libraries. A city with a good public transportation system as I will be living there without a car. A city with a fairly diverse population that has reasonably few problems with racism. I don't want to live in a city with a lot of crime. Don't want to live in a city that gets really hot. Maybe most importantly the city needs to have fairly affordable rentals, I don't want to pay more that 800$ a month for a 1br apartment. Is their a city like this in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times
your requirements are far fetched, but chicago and boston come to mind. they are expensive cities, but by your standards, they fit most on what you are looking for. also, check out seattle. to me, it's the best west coast alternative to san francisco. if i were you, i would focus on new englands large cities, as they are very compact and walkable, like san francisco, and match your requirements modestly well.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Honestly, any of the giant cities are going to be expensive and/or dangerous. Places like NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. are quite expensive. Cheaper major cities, like Philly, are known for having higher crime. Theses places will all have diversity and things to do...but at a cost.

You may be better served by mid-sized cities. Portland could work...it's dense and cultured, but a lot less expensive than Seattle (which was mentioned previously). Or maybe Providence (which is like a cheaper version of Boston). Or perhaps Pittsburgh.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Mpls/St Paul fits your criteria quite well.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 PM

166 posts, read 705,473 times
I would recommend Providence RI, Portland ME, and Burlington VT... however living car free in these places takes a lot patience, although it is possible. You can find 1 bedrooms for $800 in Boston and New York City, but obviously they won't be in the best neighbourhoods. The Staten Island borough of NYC is cheap, but seems worlds away from the rest of the city both in feel and distance.

Chicago might be your best bet as it's probably the cheapest of the nicer major cities.

It's also technically possible to live in Las Vegas without car, but again would take a lot patience. The flipside is that you can rent a whole condo for $800 there.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:06 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,882 times
I think Portland, Oregon meets much of your description. It's a decent sized city with museums, theater, good restaurants, shopping, etc. It has one of the best, if not THE best, public transportation in the country and would probably be very easy to live without a car. Crime is very low there compared to most other cities of it's size. It rarely ever gets very hot there. Most of the times its in the 50s of 60s, sometimes the 80s in the summertime.

I don't know where you're coming from, but Travel and Leisure magazine had said in one of their last year's issues that, to them, Portland seemed to be the most European feeling cities in the country, next to Charleston, SC. Portland's amount of parks and green spaces reminded them of Europe's cities.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,445 times
Definitely Minneapolis/St. Paul. Your list matches our strengths item for item. You could even buy a house or condo in a reasonably safe neighborhood for $800/month, if you can scrape together a downpayment and are not too picky.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
I third Minneapolis-St. Paul

Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,516,684 times
Rochester NY, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philly, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh all fit your criteria better than anywhere else.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
I thought of Washington DC... but your city is like... non existent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.