U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 AM

57 posts, read 144,209 times

Advertisements

Being born In Ca. and living their the last 39 years of my life I moved recently and have a warning for people considering moving their. The state is going to end up like a Manillia suburb in the next 15 - 20 years. The biggest fx being the consistent movement {exodus} of small buisness/professionals leaving the state and being replaced by immigrants and uneducated natives. The main problem with this is, if you think taxes are high now, wait until 10 years from now, all the bonds that have been created to push back the debt are going to be due, when you factor the quality of life issues, with the huge amount of debt your children will be paying, the future is bleak. Please think about this thread.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 AM

597 posts, read 1,785,841 times
yes, CA has more people leaving it today than are moving there. This is the first time this has happened since the 1970's due to the economy. The difference today is that our economy is pretty good and the reason people are leaving is because the quality of life has dropped so dramatically due to the illegal immigrants pouring in and an insane housing market. I used to always dream of one day living in California. Sadly, not anymore and I warn people from moving there all the time because many are ignorant to what is happening.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:38 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times
Exclamation yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
Being born In Ca. and living their the last 39 years of my life I moved recently and have a warning for people considering moving their. The state is going to end up like a Manillia suburb in the next 15 - 20 years. The biggest fx being the consistent movement {exodus} of small buisness/professionals leaving the state and being replaced by immigrants and uneducated natives. The main problem with this is, if you think taxes are high now, wait until 10 years from now, all the bonds that have been created to push back the debt are going to be due, when you factor the quality of life issues, with the huge amount of debt your children will be paying, the future is bleak. Please think about this thread.
That is in South Florida as well. seems like Central Florida Orlando/St Cloud/Kissimmee is going that route too. I feel for anyone who may move there.

sunny

Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,790,503 times
I second this. Florida has ceased to be a fun place to live. CA is having the same problem as are some other states and costal regions. Im moving to where theres no hurricanes, earthquakes, illegals and has affordable housing. I feel my quality of life will be much higher elsewhere.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:38 PM

889 posts, read 2,798,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
yes, CA has more people leaving it today than are moving there. This is the first time this has happened since the 1970's due to the economy. The difference today is that our economy is pretty good and the reason people are leaving is because the quality of life has dropped so dramatically due to the illegal immigrants pouring in and an insane housing market. I used to always dream of one day living in California. Sadly, not anymore and I warn people from moving there all the time because many are ignorant to what is happening.
So true,MANY people are very ignorant as to what is happening there.Some people on this forum who dont live there, have never lived there but dream or dreamed of living there have no idea how discouraging it has become to the ones that were born and raised there.Somewhere along the line, between the dot com era and even before, people with money came in to buy second homes, built lavish gorgeous homes by tearing down the little ones and driving the cost of the homes up. Other factors of course being no land to build as well for certain areas of the state.
And yes, untill you live/lived there and saw just how much the "immigration issue' forever changed the state many are ignorant as to what has and continues to happen there.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:42 PM

944 posts, read 3,575,198 times
I just learned yesterday that my nanny from when I was a toddler is moving from CA to Austin, TX. I called my siblings in CA to chat about it but they were busy with dinner guests who were telling them about how excited they were to be leaving Santa Barbara and moving to Austin. There are 2 other wealthy families I know from Santa Barbara who moved here in the past year, and it's starting to feel a bit scary. Like, I'm afraid Austin is just going to be the next Los Angeles. Sometimes I think about moving back to CA as many others have done.

Don't write off CA. It's unique in so many ways, it will never be Manila or a 3rd world country. There's too much about the place that cannot be found anywhere else. And in my experience, a lot of what keeps CA ticking is the hard work of the immigrants.

My nephew, who lives close to Oprah in Montecito, says that a week without Mexicans would effectively shut down the entire city because everyone depends on them to keep their utilities running, their yards looking nice, their roofs free of leaks, and the new mansions are all built by immigrants as well.

CA bashing is all the rage but I think it's myopic and doesn't recognize the complexity of the situation. Just because more people will have darker skin doesn't mean that it's a 3rd World country. I'm a living example of why Euro-Americans are not going to keep the USA competitive in the global economy. I'm completely incapable of working as hard as a Latino immigrant or an Indian entrepreneur.

Sorry if anyone is offended by the stereotypes but let's get real, stereotypes exist because they're mostly true.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,341 times
I don't know about California as a whole, but according to my relatives in Los Angeles and San Diego, the middle class is being priced out. Like many third world countries, the residents are either very rich or very poor. The middle class is moving to Oregon, Washington, Arizona, or the Midwest.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:27 PM

944 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
The middle class is moving to Oregon, Washington, Arizona, or the Midwest.
California is well known as the state that predicts what will happen in the rest of the nation. The middle class is going to be priced out of the whole country in a generation. Bush Administration tax policies, globalization, weak labor laws and corporate power are all leading to the destruction of the middle class in the USA. Good for California for giving us a preview of the entire USA. If you vote Republican and you're not rich, then you're either a moralist right-winger or ill-informed.

Hit me with your best shot, Ye Conservatives.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
California is well known as the state that predicts what will happen in the rest of the nation. The middle class is going to be priced out of the whole country in a generation. Bush Administration tax policies, globalization, weak labor laws and corporate power are all leading to the destruction of the middle class in the USA. Good for California for giving us a preview of the entire USA. If you vote Republican and you're not rich, then you're either a moralist right-winger or ill-informed.

Hit me with your best shot, Ye Conservatives.

Florida has followed the prediction "what LA is now Miami will be in 15 years". Lost of old timers who lived here said that and I believe it. Hopefully people will simply get fed up with this and revolt, and begin retaking the government and kicking out the illegals and start boycotting the rich who are driving up the real estate prices, before some crazy person or persons starts targeting them. I feel that if we cut off the relentless flow of illegal immigrants the downward pressure on wages will stop. Then target govermnent regulations and give the honest working man a chance.

As for me I think both Dems and Republicans are for the wealthy, their own peers. The system is rigged to keep the middle class out. If conditions become where the whole US is like California, I feel a civil war will once again hit the USA. This is the last country we can live the world's best lifestyle in all history, is everyone willing to let it go so we can all live in million dollar studio condos All of our income will go to mortgage , taxes, and food. We'll be just like Europe....or worse. As for me I liked the American dream, and if we lose it, the world will never be the same.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times
Lightbulb reality-

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I just learned yesterday that my nanny from when I was a toddler is moving from CA to Austin, TX. I called my siblings in CA to chat about it but they were busy with dinner guests who were telling them about how excited they were to be leaving Santa Barbara and moving to Austin. There are 2 other wealthy families I know from Santa Barbara who moved here in the past year, and it's starting to feel a bit scary. Like, I'm afraid Austin is just going to be the next Los Angeles. Sometimes I think about moving back to CA as many others have done.

Don't write off CA. It's unique in so many ways, it will never be Manila or a 3rd world country. There's too much about the place that cannot be found anywhere else. And in my experience, a lot of what keeps CA ticking is the hard work of the immigrants.

My nephew, who lives close to Oprah in Montecito, says that a week without Mexicans would effectively shut down the entire city because everyone depends on them to keep their utilities running, their yards looking nice, their roofs free of leaks, and the new mansions are all built by immigrants as well.

CA bashing is all the rage but I think it's myopic and doesn't recognize the complexity of the situation. Just because more people will have darker skin doesn't mean that it's a 3rd World country. I'm a living example of why Euro-Americans are not going to keep the USA competitive in the global economy. I'm completely incapable of working as hard as a Latino immigrant or an Indian entrepreneur.

Sorry if anyone is offended by the stereotypes but let's get real, stereotypes exist because they're mostly true.
ok but everyone is discussing the evaporation of the middle class here. I am very sorry, but I have NO sympathy because Oprah may not be able to get a good gardener, or Rep Mark Foley can't get a cheap illegal nanny. This "do the work Americans won't do" sounds like the agenda of the haves and have-mores. If we can no longer get strawberries picked by illegals, I say fine. We can do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or