U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 AM

64 posts, read 254,770 times

Advertisements

A little history. I'm from Long Island originally, but went to college in Ohio - lost my acent a long time ago. Husband was born Germany to an American/Canadian family; moved to NH when he was 15, went to college in TN. We met upstate NY where we lived 6 years. We've lived most of our married life in Austria, the past 10 years, have 3 kids (10,8 and 6) and are now heading back to the US. Both sets of parents moved to Florida the last few years - too expensive and unpredictable for us. Our office is out of the home, not a huge income, and I am a stay-at-home mom. We can afford max about 230K, but would rather spend more like 180K for a home - needs to be 4 bedrooms. We are looking for:
*an open-minded community where transplants are welcome
*of course, a safe community, good schools
*love the idea of a "homestead" - enjoy gardening etc., but are open to a community with a pool etc. for the kids (but would perfer at least .3 acres)
*area where people appreciate the outdoors, hunting and fishing, farmer's markets, pick your own vegetables etc. and are not so materialistic
*really hate traffic, but would like decent shopping within 10 mintues drive (right now we live in a village just 3 miles from a town of 50,000 - this is IDEAL)
*would like 4 seasons, but not really too much snow
*needs to be in an area on solid evangelical churches for my husband's work - the further he has to travel, the more likely it is he will have to overnight away from home

Our delimma is this: We like the Richmond suburbs because of family in DC (temporarily) and MD, and the history of the area, proximity to the coast and mountains, good schools etc., but the price range is a little bit of a stretch. We like the Charlotte area since it is halfway between my relatives and my husband's in Fla., the cost is much less for a home (easily 180K for big and beautiful), but are concerned it is exploding at such a rate, that we will wake up in a few years and find that it is not what we originally wanted - traffic is supposedly very bad because of the sprawl without good planning, and gee, not so much history (or?) and we really don't want our kids in a "plastic" environment where what money can buy is everything. The outskirts of the city sounds real nice, but it seems rumor has it that it will be overwhelmed with sprawl within 5 years. I wouldn't go back to Long Island because of the cost and while I relate well to those folks, if so much of NY and NJ bombard Charlotte, will it inevitably turn into a mini-metropolis with the same mentality and eventually high taxes etc. - they say it is the "new Florida".

We've missed so much about the States living over here, not to mention the distance from family all these years; this is such a hard decision. During the summer we'll be in the US and can finally be more "on the ground", but we'd like to do our homework as much as we can before then - can't afford to waste too much time on the other end trying to get settled. Anyone out there who has lived in either or both. Maybe it will just take seeing it?

Can someone tell me, other than a mortgage, is cost of living really different in either place - according to Sperlings, it seems like housing is the main difference, but with growth in Charlotte, maybe taxes will skyrocket?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,644,649 times
North Carolina.. I hear its on a upswing.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,281,403 times
I live in the Charlotte area (Concord) and love it here. Yes, the growth is high right now, but many areas around here are trying to put some control on the growth. How will it be in 10 years or so? It's hard to say. I just know right now, it's a great place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or