U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,731,073 times

Advertisements

I agree with lovethewest that the west is the best when it comes to license plates (and everything, really). I am a license plate afficionado. I found an interesting web page, World Licence[sic] Plates where you look up current and historical plates for license plates all over the US and the world. Wyoming without a doubt has the most distinctive look of any license plate. Apparently, Wyoming has had the same exact Bucking Horse and Rider design on their license plates since 1936, even though the background has changed a couple of times in the last few decades. I also really like the standard Colorado plate (the designer model looks really ugly though). The basic shape of the mountains on the Colorado plate has not changed since 1960, even though the white and green colors have been flip flopped a few times and some years the mountains were at the bottom rather than the top. Green mountains and white sky make more sense than the current white mountains and green sky, although the current one looks surprisingly good on most cars. I also greatly appreciate that Colorado does not have any corny slogans on the standard license plate. It looks great the way it is. Imagine being from Idaho-- everywhere you drive, everywhere you go, it has to say "famous potatoes."

I agree with the previous poster who said that some license plates these days are getting too "messy." The whole designer license plate thing has gotten out of control. Colorado has dozens and dozens of different slogans you can get on your license plate. I even recently saw one that says "Italian-American" printed on it. States like Nevada have dozens of different designs that are each totally different with no common theme. Arizona has some ridiculous ones, like "Pets enrich our lives." Their new one, "live the golden rule," has way too much dark color on it. Plus, it promotes the old geographic myth of saguaros of the Sonoran desert and the red rocks of the Grand Canyon mixed together (hint-- those are two totally different environments hundreds of miles apart). The standard Arizona plate is plenty good. Now that they've switched to 7 digits (AAA0000) and laser printing instead of stamping, it's very hard to read though.

I actually like California's plate. Very simple, but very elegant and clean looking. Just red, white, and blue, a stylish cursive "California" name on it. Surprisingly, in California, the most populated state in the nation, designer license plates are very, very rare. New Mexico's balloon plate is kind of bland to me. The old yellow Zia plate is pretty cool, but it sticks out like a sore thumb any time they go out of state. Utah has a pretty cool looking design, with the arch (Arches National Park is my #1 favorite NP). I hope they don't change it. Montana isn't my favorite, but it's not bad either. Oregon has a good design with the tree, but the colors are totally off, IMO. Washington state has an excellent license plate. Hawaii's plate with the rainbow is classic. I hope they NEVER change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 61,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
What are your favorite state license plates? Least favorite?
Illinois (fav) delaware (least fav)

Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
I hate Missouri's new plate by the way. That bluebird looks like it was stuck on there with photoshop. The current ones are much better.
Haha; I thought the EXACT same thing when I first saw it.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,037,377 times
I like Maryland, because of it's simple design, classic script, and the Maryland state crest is the best in the country. I don't like Texas or Wyoming because of the cowboy imagery.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 PM

89 posts, read 343,723 times
I really like North Carolina, looks better in person though. Seems like Delaware and Vermont will be my least favorite. Okay and this might not have anything to do with the topic. But we at the office are playing a game, to find license plates from all 50 states in alphabetical order. You have to stick with that order or it doesn;t count. WE've been stuck with Delaware for over 5 months now. We are looking in the Denver-boulder area. We're not like driving around looking for it. But one time we did drive around the University of Colorado at boulder. And we found all the other states even all the way to Rhode Island, canadian plates, even DC, but no delaware. So just wondering if people from Delaware don't travel? or because the population is so small? But I though Delaware's population is small, but not the smallest 4-5 in the country. Anyone from Delaware in denver metro with delaware plate? haha let me know and we will drive by ur place.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:36 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,532,758 times
Texas. I love the "cowboy imagery."

Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,417,925 times
My favorites and Least Favorites....

Favorites
  • Kentucky, I like how they have the horse and just the way the print is. I also like there old plate with the sun or whatever it was. lol
  • Tennessee, The mountains/plateaus in the background with the state it self on the top of the plate. Very cool!
  • New Hampshire, "Live Free or Die" you can't beat that. I just love the background image on there plate.
  • Oregon, It's simple but very cool with there woods theme and the mountains.
  • Minnesota, They have a specialty plate out that is for endangered species that has a duck and it's swimming in a pond with fog rising. Very colorful.
Least Favorites
  • California, Come on! This is California and all's they did was there state name. WOW!
  • New Mexico, I Just think that there whole theme is way off.
  • Washington D.C., Boring!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,138,241 times
California's is awful....

I love Montana's, Texas's, Alabamas, Mississippi's....

Look at Hawaii's!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,037,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Texas. I love the "cowboy imagery."
I find it detestable.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,632,256 times
This is my new North Carolina plate I got back in April

http://www.nccoast.org/license/licenseNEW.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or