Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,223,731 times

Advertisements

I like Georgia's new plates, very clean look to them. I was SO glad when they got rid of the silver fade from the 2005-2007 era, those were UGLY : http://www.15q.net/us1/ga04.jpg

However, I liked the 1998-2005 ones better though, mainly because they had "Georgia...On my Mind" on them:

Favorite State License Plates?-ga98.jpg

Colorado's plates are classic and iconic.

California's are nice, but dull. The only other state I know that uses the 'lipstick' font is Louisiana.

But this is my favorite Cali plate (from 83-87):

Favorite State License Plates?-ca86a.jpg

The art deco lettering and the sun and the lines that make up the horizon are what do it for me.

Arizona is another favorite. I usually hate 'busy' plates, but the colors and the cactus scream "Arizona" to me.

DC's "Taxation Without Representation" plates are plain jane, but I love them just for the snarky slogan.

Michigan's "Great Lakes Splendor" specialty plates are nice.

I love Tennessee's new plates. Absolutely gorgeous. I do kinda miss the "Sunny side up" plates though: http://www.15q.net/us5/tn01a.jpg

...But I HATED the smiling sun on Kentucky's plates. Cheesy cheesy cheesy!

Maryland is another favorite of mine. They have the best state crest and flag to me, so having it on their plates is icing on the cake for me. And it's simple and clean.

Florida's plate looks like it was made on MS Paint. Boooooo! But they have millions of specialty plates, I swear!

Mississippi has usually had nice plates over the years. The new "Biloxi lighthouse" one is great, and it's a great tribute to the Gulf Coast. MS was one of the first states in the 70's to use a graphic (the iconic magnolia) and a slogan.

I actually like New York's plate. I'm pretty sure they couldn't have NYC dominate all over the plate without upsetting the Upstate, so they compromised pretty well.

New Jersey's plate still looks good, and it doesn't look dated for it to be from the 90's.

North Carolina's plates look dated to me.

Rhode Island's are simple, but get the point across.

South Carolina's plates that had "Smiling Faces Beautiful Places" are nice too.

I hate Delaware and Indiana's flat plates. I miss the "Crossroads of America" plates they used to have in the late 90's/early 2000's.

As For Canadian Provinces, I HATE Alberta's plates. They're stuck in the 70's:

Favorite State License Plates?-ab05.jpg

Last edited by grindin; 06-05-2008 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,549,919 times
Them sunny side up plates for Tennessee are nice. I will agree there.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 AM

433 posts, read 2,349,699 times
Some of the plates with all the colors like Idaho, Utah and Wyoming may look good alone, but they can be really busy and clash with your vehicle color/lines. Can make your car or truck look like a clown wagon.

I was in Utah not long ago and those plates were just awful on some of the cars depending on their color/design. I remember sitting in traffic thinking how ugly they look...

Someone mentioned the North Carolina plates looking better in person. I agree, they're a nice looking plate.

I guess I like the more understated/neutral types of plates. Maine, Maryland and Tennessee etc. Obviously, we're all different in our preferences.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,653,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Oh! I forgot to say which plates appealed to me, personally. I like Alaska's and Maine's. Delaware is sort of bland (the plate, not the state!).

Is it me or does the Massachusetts plate example say something slightly naughty?
Heh heh, yes it does, here it is:

I find this really funny for some reason, it looks like Die Poo, The Spirit of America!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM

287 posts, read 1,023,370 times
New Hampshire will always be the best as far as I'm concerned. Live Free or Die, it's just such a mellow dramatic thing to have of a license plate. Make me smile every time.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:24 PM

145 posts, read 507,323 times
i like my California plates

people treat you like royalty when you drive out of state

Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfk View Post

Just because you act like royalty doesn't mean that people treat you like royalty.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,534,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I like the classic California license plate, but the ones with the palm trees & sun images. But the regular California plates (just white background & red slanted words of 'CA') are boring.
I like the Kentucky one with the smiling sun. I don't find that corny at all.

We have appealing state plates here- I don't like the blah ones I see overseas.
Kentucky no longer has that plate. Got rid of it 3 years ago.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,879,141 times
Maine just came out with this agriculture plate:

http://www.umext.maine.edu/piscataquis/gardening/2005/vol3iss8/MaineAgTag.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,579,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfk View Post

LOL lets roll out the red carpet, a Californian has decided to grace us with his presence! How old are you bro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.