Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is THE city that represents this current decade?
New York 28 30.11%
Houston 16 17.20%
Las Vegas 16 17.20%
Atlanta 16 17.20%
Boston 2 2.15%
New Orleans 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,256 times

Advertisements

New York.

New York has the edge on the experience of this decade. First there was 9/11, and NYC as "America's City", then there were the massive war protests there in 2003, the 2004 Republican Convention, 2006-2007 marked the rise of the "hipster" (spawned in Brooklyn's Williamsburg), and in 2007-2008, spawned two major presidential candidates (Hillary and Rudy Giuliani. Three if you count Bloomberg.)

Los Angeles is close, but I think it's actually in a weaker position now than when the decade started. Its lost a hold on the global media culture as the world goes global--indie and foreign films are more popular than ever, and movie revenue has dropped precipitously. Also, I would argue that the O.C. and Hollister period marked more of a fad than a real cultural event.

I don't think Las Vegas' sort of 24/7 carefree hedonism reflects the mood of this decade at all, no matter how much the city has grown or how many TV shows/movies are set there. In fact, that might be the reason so many are--that it feels like a place removed from the rest of the country. It might be the city of the next decade, but this one just hasn't been a flashy, fun one.

I really don't see any case for Atlanta or Houston. Growth is nice, but it doesn't make a city stick in the American imagination. Rap doesn't do it for me either, since the trend in music seems to be going away from rap right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
In this narcissistic, "I'll do anything to be on TV," youtube-obsessed, Paris/Lindsey/Britney-watching era we currently live in (the 2000s), I cannot think of a more representative city than Las Vegas.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I put down Vegas because of those reasons and it's apperance in shows and movies (CSI, the Ocean's 11 sequals, and Rush Hour 2). Also, Vegas hosted the NBA All-star game eventhough it has not team and the NASCAR event held there has drawn more than 165,000 fans. And Panic! at the Disco came from there.
Didn't you hear? Panic at the disco removed the exclimation point in their name! ugh, some people. just joking

I believe NY is the city of the decade.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Chicago has alot, but I still don't feel that the city made a HUGE impact on this decade. It may represent this decade when it comes to growth, but I still dont feel Chicago should be on the list.

....then again, we still have this and 2009... so maybe, just maybe Chicago could be in this thread. But for now, I just don't think it should be. But that's just me.

goozer made a good point in that this decade is the "I'll do anything to be on TV," youtube-obsessed, Paris/Lindsey/Britney-watching era. And two cities that come to mind are Vegas and (even though it's not on the list) Los Angeles.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Quote:
Throw in the fact that its in the top 10 fastest growing metros in the country [Chicago]
What? Since when? The top 10 has been all Sunbelt and Mountain cities for awhile now.

10 fastest-growing U.S. counties | 1 | CNNMoney.com
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas grows more than any other U.S. city - Mar. 27, 2008

Quote:
Maybe Vegas, but the 90's were kinda Vegas' big coming of age.
I don't think Las Vegas is even close to being the city of the decade. But I will say that it has more of a national importance now than it did 10 years ago. All the "What Happens in Vegas" commercials, and the Paris Hilton appearances, and the TV shows are all recent things.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,542 times
the 2000s have been marked by:
-hedonism
-an all-about-me attitude
-self-conceitedness
-snobbishness
-backstabbing in order to get ahead
-materialism and an obsession of money for the sake of having more
-celebrity obsessions (the more useless of a celebrity, the more focus) along w/ the ultimate desire by teens and young adults in life to live like one
-a significant decline in morality, faith-based religion, social progress, race relations, and even in music, TV, movies, and entertainment
-a widening gap between the rich and poor

I think we can safely say that Los Angeles characterizes this decade

Quote:
My list from the 1930's up until now.

2000's: Los Angeles
1990's: Seattle
1980's: Miami
1970's: Chicago or New York
1960's: the San Francisco Bay Area
1950's: Los Angeles
1940's: Detroit
1930s': Chicago
I was hoping that someone else would see the 1990s as more of a progressive time. I just hope that I can live in an era like this again, but I'm not sure that the cycle for America (and its desire amongst its people) has reached a point to live in a decade where we're defined by more of a progressive place like San Fran, Seattle, Minneapolis, or Denver. But I do have a slight hope that once Obama can get into office, he can contribute to making the 2010s America more like Honolulu.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
the 2000s have been marked by:
-hedonism
-an all-about-me attitude
-self-conceitedness
-snobbishness
-backstabbing in order to get ahead
-materialism and an obsession of money for the sake of having more
-celebrity obsessions (the more useless of a celebrity, the more focus) along w/ the ultimate desire by teens and young adults in life to live like one
-a significant decline in morality, faith-based religion, social progress, race relations, and even in music, TV, movies, and entertainment
-a widening gap between the rich and poor

I think we can safely say that Los Angeles characterizes this decade

I was hoping that someone else would see the 1990s as more of a progressive time. I just hope that I can live in an era like this again, but I'm not sure that the cycle for America (and its desire amongst its people) has reached a point to live in a decade where we're defined by more of a progressive place like San Fran, Seattle, Minneapolis, or Denver. But I do have a slight hope that once Obama can get into office, he can contribute to making the 2010s America more like Honolulu.
Yeah. L.A...... and I don't even have it on the list..... silly me.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM

422 posts, read 758,421 times
Quote:
My list from the 1930's up until now.

2000's: ????
1990's: Seattle
1980's: Miami
1970's: Chicago or New York
1960's: the San Francisco Bay Area
1950's: Los Angeles
1940's: Detroit
1930s': Chicago
Good list, but the 1970's were a horrific time for New York, and I believe Chicago was losing a lot of population. I would pick something else.

For the 2000's, I might give the nod to New York.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
It's definently Vegas. New York may be mammoth in size and represent every second of progression, or retardation, depending on how you look at it. However, the current source of vibrancy is found in Las Vegas. That town, simply put, is just happening. It is currently the "it" city thus represents this decade the best.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Quote:
Chicago has alot, but I still don't feel that the city made a HUGE impact on this decade. It may represent this decade when it comes to growth, but I still dont feel Chicago should be on the list.

....then again, we still have this and 2009... so maybe, just maybe Chicago could be in this thread. But for now, I just don't think it should be. But that's just me.

goozer made a good point in that this decade is the "I'll do anything to be on TV," youtube-obsessed, Paris/Lindsey/Britney-watching era. And two cities that come to mind are Vegas and (even though it's not on the list) Los Angeles.
Chicago will get the nod next decade with the 2016 Olympics and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.