U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is THE city that represents this current decade?
New York 28 30.11%
Houston 16 17.20%
Las Vegas 16 17.20%
Atlanta 16 17.20%
Boston 2 2.15%
New Orleans 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 AM

932 posts, read 1,693,777 times

Advertisements

Phoenix should be on the list. Remember 20 years ago when many people avoided the are? Now look at it, emerging as the 5th most populated city in America. Plus it has it's own charcter which sets it's self away from the cold, wet cities of the East and the continuous sunny smoggy days in LA. For 60 years we've had a population explosion and we were suburban for the longest time. As we progress we are becoming more known and urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,442,425 times
Houston.
NY and Boston have a weak pop growth and are old.
Atlanta is good but too small compared to Houston.Las Vegas had a very huge pop and eco growth but it's much weaker since 2008.New Orleans lol (katrina, rita..).
Houston is the winner.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,972 times
My thought on the criteria should be multiple ones for differnt things. One set would be what represents the times. I figured there are two sets there for each half of the decade, NYC for the first half and for the second half New Orleans, Detroit, and either Las Vegas or Phoenix. Other categories are cities/metros that started their faster growth this decade and/or the area recovered or stabilized after a long decline. Any takers as to some examples of those two categories. Many of the cities mentioned wouldn't be a good fit since they are just continuing what happened from at least the previous decade. (They would of been a fit for the decade it started not this past one)

A big caveat is cities have just had the biggest shakeup in at least 40 years and we still don't know the effects long-term on an areas growth. A story that could play out is the boom times in growth are over in a number of places and just beginning in others as a result. Some could of hit such a wall that some previously hot areas turn into a new "Rust Belt" as it were.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,661,724 times
the giants won the superbowl, the yankees won the world series for the 27th time, 9/11 happened, we bounced back, i think we win. at least IMO.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,819,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the giants won the superbowl, the yankees won the world series for the 27th time, 9/11 happened, we bounced back, i think we win. at least IMO.
Don't forget all the attention to Wall Street, the blackout, all the subway heros, the discussion of the Freedom Tower (Yeah it came on the radio every now and then- I used to listen to it on my drive to school a few years back) all the movies set in NYC and of course that idiot car bomber from a month ago.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Don't forget all the attention to Wall Street, the blackout, all the subway heros, the discussion of the Freedom Tower (Yeah it came on the radio every now and then- I used to listen to it on my drive to school a few years back) all the movies set in NYC and of course that idiot car bomber from a month ago.
Wouldn't if we used that criteria NYC would be the city of the decade every decade? I think the criteria should be where something changed for good or for bad that makes it different than the decade before. New York has a better argument for such a distinction for the 1990's or especially if we used the years 1995-2005.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,143,764 times
New York and New Orleans
Both cities have bounced back from major disasters (plus N.O. is dealing with another right now)
Both have also been in the spotlight for more positives than negatives in the past couple of years.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Wouldn't if we used that criteria NYC would be the city of the decade every decade? I think the criteria should be where something changed for good or for bad that makes it different than the decade before. New York has a better argument for such a distinction for the 1990's or especially if we used the years 1995-2005.
I agree somewhat, some decades in the past really have gone to other cities but the 2000's was definitely New York City's. However, i feel this decade won't be about them. For some reason.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I agree somewhat, some decades in the past really have gone to other cities but the 2000's was definitely New York City's. However, i feel this decade won't be about them. For some reason.
One thing that might happen the start of a new term of cities called the Dust Belt. Basically Sun Belt cities that have lost their shine. There is a real possibility they could be like the rhymed name Rust Belt and have stagnant to declining populations as many people start leaving. It is too early to tell if a region develops but the candidates that I see are primarily in Arizona, Nevada, and Florida. California and the Miami area would of been this way if there wasn't the influx of immigrants to offset people leaving.

I have a hard time picking a good city of the 2000's since several pop up for different reasons good or bad. That and it might do well to have it vary by size as well. As others mention NYC would be a good one, but I think it would of been an even better candidate for the 90's or a 10 year period ending in 2005 or so. Also a good candidate would be a city that stopped its decline the past decade and started to get back on its feet, although at this point it'd be easier to know the best example for that a few years from now to make sure its not short-term.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
One thing that might happen the start of a new term of cities called the Dust Belt. Basically Sun Belt cities that have lost their shine. There is a real possibility they could be like the rhymed name Rust Belt and have stagnant to declining populations as many people start leaving. It is too early to tell if a region develops but the candidates that I see are primarily in Arizona, Nevada, and Florida. California and the Miami area would of been this way if there wasn't the influx of immigrants to offset people leaving.

I have a hard time picking a good city of the 2000's since several pop up for different reasons good or bad. That and it might do well to have it vary by size as well. As others mention NYC would be a good one, but I think it would of been an even better candidate for the 90's or a 10 year period ending in 2005 or so. Also a good candidate would be a city that stopped its decline the past decade and started to get back on its feet, although at this point it'd be easier to know the best example for that a few years from now to make sure its not short-term.
I think Cleveland is trying to do that. Detroit is too far gone right now to make a recovery immediately but Cleveland seems to be trying.

But I can't name any city that has successfully done that last decade.

The Dust Belt? I think Phoenix can make a strong come back in the future, but it's only if it plays it's cards right. Las Vegas, I haven't any idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or