Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is THE city that represents this current decade?
New York 28 30.11%
Houston 16 17.20%
Las Vegas 16 17.20%
Atlanta 16 17.20%
Boston 2 2.15%
New Orleans 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,342,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I think Cleveland is trying to do that. Detroit is too far gone right now to make a recovery immediately but Cleveland seems to be trying.

But I can't name any city that has successfully done that last decade.

The Dust Belt? I think Phoenix can make a strong come back in the future, but it's only if it plays it's cards right. Las Vegas, I haven't any idea.
Washington DC ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,945,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Washington DC ?
DC has always been a strong location. It's always had a stable economy and even though it lost a lot of population it's metro always gained more just like Chicago and Philadelphia, and Boston have in the past.

Like what I meant was a city that economically sank like Detroit or Cleveland.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,041,663 times
Even though each decade had cities that delivered in one way or another, my list is different as I think of cities when I believe they "arrived" or "reinvented" themselves even if they had previously "arrived" for different reasons in other decades.

60's - San Francisco (Hippy Movement - Haight-Ashbury)
70's - San Francisco (Castro), Houston (energy/oil)
80's - LA (pop culture, became #2 populated city), Dallas ("Dallas", Oil, excess), Miami ("Miami Vice", style, freestyle music even though it began in NYC, snowbirds),
90's - Atlanta (Beginning of growth boom, Olympics, CNN, Hartsfield/Jackson Atlanta Int'l Airport #1 in World), Seattle (Grunge Scene, Microsoft/technology companies, Starbucks), San Jose (Silicon Valley),
00's - Phoenix (tourism, growth boom, retirement, mini-LA), Las Vegas (growth boom, rebirth as upscale, hedonistic, adult destination), Portland (city planning and development model, micro-breweries), - Devastation/Rebuilding: New York City (9/11), New Orleans (Katrina)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.