Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is THE city that represents this current decade?
New York 28 30.11%
Houston 16 17.20%
Las Vegas 16 17.20%
Atlanta 16 17.20%
Boston 2 2.15%
New Orleans 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

I already started this thread a long time ago, but I felt I should have made a poll to close this question out.....

My top 6 cities for this decade, whatever you want to call it, are:

-New York
-New Orleans
-Atlanta
-Houston
-Boston
- and Las Vegas

*note: To be a "city of the decade", the city has to have a direct impact on most of the country in major news events, pop culture, science/technology, sports, music/arts, and/or growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Why are those the only choices? Anyway, I think it's hard to pin it on one city...each factor that you listed is strong in a different city.

-For news events...well, it's hard to beat 9/11 and Katrina. NYC and New Orleans here.

-Pop culture...it's kind of shocking how so many people (even grown women) try to immitate the lifestyle on shows like the OC and Laguna Beach. Even the popularity of teen stores like Hollister point to Californication in pop culture. LA here.

-Science and technology...doesn't Houston have the world's largest medical center? I believe it's supposed to be a pretty prestigious facility, as well.

-Sports...The Patriots and Red Sox have both been pretty big throughout the decade. Boston.

-Music...as always, lots of bands coming out of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle here, maybe. Lots of bands are coming out of small towns too.

-NYC would probably have the edge in art.

-Growth...Las Vegas, Atlanta, and Houston.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Im curious as to what Vegas has done for this country besides sprawl, waste water and be a haven for tourists abroad. I voted NYC, its the most important on the list and is known worldwide not only as a tourist destination, but a financial powerhouse, etc, etc. I dont see anyone replacing NYC as the city of the decade in the forseeable future, its just too important.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM

I would have put down L.A....
Actually, I should have because I mentioned it earlier.

L.A. would be the only other city I would have added.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I would say New York. It finally completed the unbelieveable turnaround from the 70's, and then there was 911 that threw the city to the front stage of the world.

Maybe Vegas, but the 90's were kinda Vegas' big coming of age.

Not sure what other cities I'd put for the 2000's. The sunbelt cities all exploded in suburban sprawl, but i'm not sure if that's going to be looked at as a "city of the decade" or a huge mistake.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im curious as to what Vegas has done for this country besides sprawl, waste water and be a haven for tourists abroad. I voted NYC, its the most important on the list and is known worldwide not only as a tourist destination, but a financial powerhouse, etc, etc. I dont see anyone replacing NYC as the city of the decade in the forseeable future, its just too important.
I put down Vegas because of those reasons and it's apperance in shows and movies (CSI, the Ocean's 11 sequals, and Rush Hour 2). Also, Vegas hosted the NBA All-star game eventhough it has not team and the NASCAR event held there has drawn more than 165,000 fans. And Panic! at the Disco came from there.

I put down NY mainly just because of 9/11 and how the city bounced back. We all know New York (and L.A.) are always important, but to me, the city of the decade is the one city that sticks out the most during those 10 years. Like Seattle during the 90's or Miami during the 80's..... but (looking at it from the sports perspective) I guess you could include the Subway Series in 2000 and the Yankee's big let down the year after against Arizona. And Isiah Thomas' time with the Knicks. And the demolition of both Shea Stadium and Yankee Stadium, with the Yankees hosting the All-star Game this year....

Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
with the exception of having good sports teams I don't see why Boston would be. and trust me, I really want an excuse to put that as my answer.

Tough question. No city stands out but it'd probably be easier to look back 10 years down the road and decide.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
I voted for Atlanta.Its already a very populated city and metro area,and it is still growing at a very fast pace.If its growing very fast that probably means the job market there is very good.Plus there is a huge rap scene there right now.Its seem like 75% of all the big mainstream rap songs now are by rappers out of Atlanta.And I think mainstream music and pop culture go hand in hand.NYC would be second.There has been alot of major news to come out of New York City this decade so far.And its great how the city rebounded from one of the worst things to ever happen to our country.New Orleans would be third because of Hurricane Katrina.Again its another case where even after tradgedy the city seems to have rebounded alot since then.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

My list from the 1930's up until now.

2000's: ????
1990's: Seattle
1980's: Miami
1970's: Chicago or New York
1960's: the San Francisco Bay Area
1950's: Los Angeles
1940's: Detroit
1930s': Chicago

Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I put down Vegas because of those reasons and it's apperance in shows and movies (CSI, the Ocean's 11 sequals, and Rush Hour 2). Also, Vegas hosted the NBA All-star game eventhough it has not team and the NASCAR event held there has drawn more than 165,000 fans. And Panic! at the Disco came from there
Well, Chicago has spawned Liz Phair, Disturbed, Chevelle, Smoking Popes, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. As well as movies such as Batman Begins, Batman: Dark Knight, The Weatherman, My Best Friends Wedding, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc, etc. Several shows are also filmed here as well. It should also be noted that Chicago was voted as "city of the future" as well as claiming the title for most corporate relocations and expansion projects, too. Throw in the fact that its in the top 10 fastest growing metros in the country, and more important globally than Las Vegas. Where is Chicago on the list? I think it definitely deserves a spot, would you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.