U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,240,088 times

Advertisements

My top picks:
(1) Austin, TX
(2) Houston, TX, namely the up-and-coming Third Ward, or anywhere near the West Loop (I-610) & Katy Freeway (I-10), or suburbs like Katy, The Woodlands, or Sugarland. (Be sure to avoid the southwest side, inner southeast side, and Greenspoint.)
(3) Fort Worth, TX
(4) Chicago, IL, namely Bucktown, River North, maybe Andersonville, certainly the northwest side, and don't forget to check out suburbs like Evanston and Schaumburg.
(5) Nashville, TN, but stay outside Briley Parkway
(6) Hoover, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, or Alabaster, AL, all suburbs of Birmingham. (DO NOT LIVE IN BIRMINGHAM proper, whatever you do, as it is a very dangerous place!)
(7) Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC, a.k.a. Research Triangle

All of these are excellent locales with high qualities of life, safe neighborhoods, and good schools (okay, in the case of Chicago you might not want to send your kids to Chicago Public Schools, but rather to a suburban district or, if you can afford it, a private school.) I think all of these would be great fits! Chicago and Austin would be most expensive; Nashville, Alabama, and Fort Worth would be least expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM

835 posts, read 2,085,817 times
Steven's Point Wisconsin.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 PM

11,900 posts, read 32,955,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
Franklin, TN.
Agreed. Franklin is a very desirable town. It's a fast-growing suburb of Nashville yet it's also historical, very upscale, and has excellent schools.

Here are some pics of the area, taken from Google Images:

http://www.franklin-gov.com/images/Cool%20Springs%20View_large.jpg (broken link)

http://www.miriamspromise.org/MPGT200602.jpg (broken link)

http://www.franklin-gov.com/images/hills_large.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,467,236 times
I would pick-

Nashville area
somewhere in South Carolina
somewhere in Alabama
West Texas

those would be my choices

Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 AM

3,692 posts, read 8,788,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris213 View Post
Today 09:49 AM
jharris213

A great place to raise my family????? My husband interviewed for a job where you can live just about anywhere in the USA. We have the opportunity to live anywhere. We have 2 kids - 4 and 6 years old. We like to bike and walk and play!!! Prefer nice weather, but will endure some winter for a great place. Excellent Schools are a must and a small to medium city near by for stuff to do. Traffic and commutes dont pose a problem for us. We are looking in the 300-400k price range for a home...I am hoping people can help us find a great place to live with all of the above!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
jharris213
Fairfield County, CT. Excellent schools, fantastic quality of life, super safe. NYC is 45 mins to 1 hour and 15 mins away. Coast line is right here, mountains are an hour or so away. We have several snows per winter, and 4 lovely seasons. Culturally advanced as well as a wonderful place to live. It's one of the better areas in the US.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,421,738 times
Them Tennessee pictures are beautiful.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,054,652 times
Quote:
Tennessee or Wisconsin. Wisconsin has 2nd best ACT scores and really good schools. We also have four distinct seasons. Our summers rock because we get only a few real hot days and some really nice days of low 80's and high 70's. Wisconsin is expensive to live in, but it's all worth it. We have very many terrains just like Tennessee which I also recommend! Tennessee is a bit warmer in the summer and winters. etc.

I also recommend Louisville, KY as Censusdata said. Northern KY is beautiful.

All in all, Check out Southcentral Wisconsin, Eastern Tennessee, Northern KY.
Someone who prefers warm weather and can only "tolerate" the cold as a last resort would hate WI weather.

TN and KY would be better. I'll agree there.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,054,652 times
I'll also second Houston. Many of the schools are supposed to be quite good.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,421,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Someone who prefers warm weather and can only "tolerate" the cold as a last resort would hate WI weather.

TN and KY would be better. I'll agree there.

Good Point. I think that most people don't realize though that Wisconsin is so beautiful in Winter. I can walk out my door and see for miles the peaceful snow covered valleys of the Driftless area in Wisconsin. Wisconsin has four distinct seasons and I will say that each one is just right. Winter may be long sometimes but it just makes Spring, Summer, Fall that much more enjoyable. Tennessee and Kentucky are very good choices that I hope the OP considers.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 AM

746 posts, read 3,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Are you not happy with where you are now?
Human nature says that we are never happy with where we are now, that the grass is always greener, other people are always happier, and that the next big thing will make us feel happy inside(the last point is what advertising has thrived on for the last 120 years).......this is all from our disposable society......just jettison the old place, and look for the new.........

Factoids about so called great places to live in USA.....

Key West.....little island.....drunken tourists everywhere....few well-paying jobs......very boring after a few months.....

Honolulu......local islanders hate outsiders.....very inbred and insular mindset per the native islanders....Japanese locals are cliquish to the nth degree....

Aspen....small and boring....great for a few weeks in winter.....beyond snobbish residents...

Lake Tahoe .....see above......

San Diego...sky-high prices.....vain locals,,,,,

Austin...Houston....Dallas....overcrowded....hot as hell in summer.....ranked near bottom in educational spending......executes
more people than the rest of the world combined, outside of Red China
and the middle east

PNW.....rains much of the year.....on the damp and cold side much of the year...high cost of living........

and on and on and on....

The point is, there is NO utopia, and we will continue to look for one until our last dying breath..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or