U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My dad commented on Milwaukee smelling like yeast from the beer factories. I don't find the smell of yeasty(or I think it might be that) bread particularly offense so much as it is weird and and it reminds me of "too many calories" when I think of it.
Ever drive by the Anheuser-Busch plant in St. Louis? It's not especially pleasing, either.

The local news here was saying that iDot (Illinois Department of Transportation) is low on money, so they're not picking up roadkill in Southern Illinois anymore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 AM

12 posts, read 24,828 times
rode a greyhound bus cross country, and when we got to Monroe, LA the busdriver had to pull us over and let us get a breather because of the stench filling the cabin.

its either the city, or the voodoo lady on board that got off at that stop... and thats a whole 'nother story that i can elaborate on if anyone wants me to.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
I agree, paper mill cities do stink. Duluth, Cloquet and International Falls are the hot spots in MN.

I remember traveling coastal Georgia several times many years ago and there was a town with a turpentine factory (Brunswick?). It was horrid for miles, and the humid summer air made it hang like an invisible wet blanket.

RE: Milwaukee, when I lived there there were still 3 major breweries operating. The smell of malt was very strong, but I liked it. When you'd drive into the city on I-94 from the West, you'd encounter it as you approached the Miller brewery. Drive another mile and all you'd smell was the Ambrosia Choloate factory. It was great! (Little known off-topic fact, the Ambrosia factory is where Jeffrey Dahmer worked).

Cedar Rapids, IA is called the "city of 5 seasons" by the C of C, but local wags used to call it the city of 5 smells. There was the Quaker Oats cerial factory, the Wilson meat packing plant, the sorghum mill, and the corn starch factory (actually, the worst of the bunch in my estimation).

Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,332,967 times
I don't know if it's still like this, but going over the bridge between KCMO and K.C. Kansas had an awful smell. I was told there was a hot dog plant underneath.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:40 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times
and how can we forget North Jersey (around exit 13, i believe )

Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I don't know if it's still like this, but going over the bridge between KCMO and K.C. Kansas had an awful smell. I was told there was a hot dog plant underneath.
I suspect it is either the river or another strategically located waste treatment plant. And on some days it wafts across the entire downtown airport. A good chunk of North KC also smells from some kind of industrial plant. And cross over I 435 at Front St. on the east side and you can get a real wake up call on most days from a waste treatment plant.

I've resorted to popping peppermint Altoids in my mouth anytime I drive near these places. It does help to alleviate the stench somewhat.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM

812 posts, read 3,582,796 times
I haven't seen anything mentioning the Northern suburbs of Salt Lake City. The lake's pretty raunchy, stagnant and full of brine shrimp, and when the wind gets to blowing Eastward, it's not always pretty.

Hold your breath when crossing the street in San Francisco when you see either a sewer or steaming manhole cover.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 PM

746 posts, read 3,457,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
I haven't seen anything mentioning the Northern suburbs of Salt Lake City. The lake's pretty raunchy, stagnant and full of brine shrimp, and when the wind gets to blowing Eastward, it's not always pretty.

Hold your breath when crossing the street in San Francisco when you see either a sewer or steaming manhole cover.
To be fair, almost ALL our US metros have rancid pockets of smells....usually its a variation on the following:

The poor part of town gets all the smells and toxic wastes, along with the factories and such
The better part is removed from it, like a different world......and makes all the money killing the poor folks, and stinking up their neighborhoods....
and of course they live in the idyllic burbs...

Same old song...everywhere....who ever said life was fair?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,556,633 times
The Chesapeake Bay area at low tide is offensive to all but the most hardcore locker room sniffers.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 PM

51 posts, read 161,449 times
Decatur, IL has a dominating smell of soy processing. I'm sure its not the most objectionable smell in the US, but it is overpowering. I'm amazed how its residents can live with it.

I'm really curious what these paper mill cities smell like. I've been to Appleton WI which is supposed to be a big mill town, but I didn't notice anything bad about its smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or