U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,274,563 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis is a good candidate for a city that his happy the way it is. Indianapolis is moderately laid back. Skycrapers are seen here but their arent that many as compared to other cities of the same size. Indy people do kind of the same thing. In ways Indianapolis seems small and in other ways it is HUGE. The Upper class do somewhate seperate themselves from the rest of us and most people can mix together. there are a fair number of mansions here. Indianapolis is a city full of history and Character to. and i also agree the people of indianapolis do try to keep it the same way also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,634,703 times
I don't know but Austin should have stayed that way and it would be a lot better today. Instead it's declined and overrated now.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,274,563 times
I agree with you went to Austin twice once back in 2000 and in 2007 and it was totally different.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Philadelphia Metro- it has no want or interest for what happens in other places. It doesn't care about anywhere else but Philly. It never changes. I could come back 25 years from now and it'll look exactly the same. Thats why it'll always be dirty, corrupt and stagnant.
Right,and also remember ignorance is bliss...

Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,050,716 times
How about Honolulu? I think they're pretty happy the way they are.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,049,655 times
I would also like to add Raleigh. For a city its size it doesn't have that remarkable of a skyline. It is commited to research and technology, fields that have made it what it is today. It is diversifying its economy and is growinf rapidly but is not losing its flavor. The field of education is huge in this area since it does have the first public institution in the U.S., UNC Chapel Hill. I think Raleigh would qualify.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,134,235 times
Definitely New Orleans. N.O. thinks that is the world and is set in its ways, anything modern is almost tabboo. It's good in as many was as it is bad as it preserves the culture and historical aspects of the city but can hinder the rebuilding process. The rest of the state thinks we're backwards. I think we're on pause.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 PM

311 posts, read 454,009 times
A city that is "happy" with the way it is? Does this have to mean no sky-scrapers, or just really happy being itself - or- not trying to be something it's not? well, New York city has always been happy with the way it is, did NY ever try to be something it wasn't? did it ever seem not "happy" being NY? just because the place likes tall buildings does it make a place "unhappy"? with itself?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM

48,098 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Rome,GA. It has three colleges and yet it doesn't feel like a college town. I see alot of things in that city that remind me that I'm not in metro Atlanta. I don't see alot of progress there.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,989,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Which cities do you think are happy the way they are and dont try to be something they arnt?

I ask this cause the city of Albuquerque is so laid back and content with the way they are that they dont try to build skyscrapers and try to act like a larger city. The people here still treat this place like a small town and the upper class dont seperate themselves from the rest of us but blend in and everyone mixes together.There really arnt big mansions here like in other cities and Albuquerque is so full of history and character that I think they try to keep it that way as much as possible.

So what other cities are like this and which cities are opposite?
I know many people in Albuquerque want rapid growth, and aspire to be the next Phoenix. Why? Who knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or