U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM

746 posts, read 3,458,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've never been to Austin so I can't really base anything off of personal experience, just my perception and opinion of it. I've read it's overrated and not all cracked up to what's they claim it is like, not saying that is true cuz I have no way of judging that myself right now. It appeals to me as maybe a place to live and settle down, but not to take a vacation to. I can see what makes it special and unique being inside Texas but outside of TX I don't think it would be such a big deal personally. It seems hip, funky, liberal, etc..but do so other cities. Not trying to say anything bad about Austin, seems like a perfectly fine city overall.

I went to Mardi Gras in 2004 and the one this past February and I really didn't notice much of a difference. I stayed in the main tourists areas, which were not nearly as damaged or affected as other parts so that is probably part of it for me. The city still had plenty of soul and character to me as it did in 2004, but it was Mardi Gras and you just can't help but have a great time there.

Honolulu is pretty far out there and I think people on the West Coast probably rank it higher b/c we have easier access and cheaper flights to it, so are probably the biggest group mainland visitors to it. It's a very unique city which is why I put it up there, despite it not having many people. Although for a metro area of around only 800,000 it has a TON of skyscrapers and dense development. Plus my mom's family is from there and I go often so I like it a lot.
True about Austin.....people in Texas think its the best thing since sliced bread....but they live in a different world here......I don't know what you
would do on a week vacation here, as there are no mountains, beaches, major bodies of water besides damned up rivers, and lots of big box stores. If I was a tourist, I could handle hanging out on 6th a few nights, and maybe walk south congress once, but, after that, not much else.Hang around the capitol maybe? I'm just being honest......walking down 6th street will not make it worth burning a weeks vacation, especially for a family...no amusement parks, no pro teams, no decent museums or zoos.....I could not imagine a family taking a weeks' vacation in Austin, though its fun for conventioneers looking to hang on 6th for the week-end, or for longhorn fans looking to hang on 6th st(yes again...indeed that is all there pretty much is to do here), for a football week-end........Now, if you want to live in a city with a college feel, and a young ambience, Austin would be your thing.....but there are at least 50-60 college towns and cities where you can do the same, hence it isn't that unique after all....Madison wisc has all austin has to offer with 1/4 the population.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Denver itself is not a top 10 city...just a fancier great plains city, like Omaha on steroids....I can't count how many people from Denver come here to Austin saying how they cant wait to get away from there. If Denver was in the top 10, they wouldn't be itching to move....now, its immediate access to the Rockies trumps that problem, though the front range is inundated with rather boring cities, like greely, ft,collins, pueblo, and even col springs.....again, if it wasn't for the rockies, denver would be a large Omaha.....
Oh ya thanks sooooooo much for insulting my city, when was the last time you were here, do you even know what we have or whats happening here?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Oh ya thanks sooooooo much for insulting my city, when was the last time you were here, do you even know what we have or whats happening here?
yes I do...hence the Omaha on steroids reference....sure, you can drink microbrews in SODO, but, after that, not much...go to pepsi center?
Again, a very boring city, though better than greely or pueblo.....Again, here in austin we get reams of people trying to get out of denver, that hate the dry climate, the boring great plains atmosphere, and such.....I will give you this much.....god knows it has access to the rockies, which is its saving grace.......go west young man indeed.......and that makes it all better.....even just checking out a concert in red rock makes it better, let alone trucking out to mountain bike or ski in the rockies.........than again, ANYPLACE with access to the rockies would be great...Peoria with access to the rockies would be great....the boring ambience of the general denver metro is personified by "South Park"....it says it all.......At least Denver doesn't have all those freaky right-wing white supremist christian groups like colo springs.....though denver's metro can get weird, ala Littleton..........Denver, again, is an area people try to LEAVE, not go to....though Barack Obama will be coronated in Denver this summer....Hail to the chief! and Pepsi Center!

Site of Obama's Coronation this summer! Hail to the chief!!!!
Sorry Hillary........you and bill can go back to your 5 million dollar speaking tours now....no vice-presidency for you, my dear!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Ummm, GoNe was referring to Omaha, not Denver.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,310,390 times
Miami & Austin seem borderline as major US cities. Houston should replace Austin. Minneapolis should replace Miami.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
yes I do...hence the Omaha on steroids reference....sure, you can drink microbrews in SODO, but, after that, not much...go to pepsi center?
Again, a very boring city, though better than greely or pueblo.....Again, here in austin we get reams of people trying to get out of denver, that hate the dry climate, the boring great plains atmosphere, and such.....I will give you this much.....god knows it has access to the rockies, which is its saving grace.......go west young man indeed.......and that makes it all better.....even just checking out a concert in red rock makes it better, let alone trucking out to mountain bike or ski in the rockies.........than again, ANYPLACE with access to the rockies would be great...Peoria with access to the rockies would be great....the boring ambience of the general denver metro is personified by "South Park"....it says it all.......At least Denver doesn't have all those freaky right-wing white supremist christian groups like colo springs.....though denver's metro can get weird, ala Littleton..........Denver, again, is an area people try to LEAVE, not go to....though Barack Obama will be coronated in Denver this summer....Hail to the chief! and Pepsi Center!

Site of Obama's Coronation this summer! Hail to the chief!!!!
Sorry Hillary........you and bill can go back to your 5 million dollar speaking tours now....no vice-presidency for you, my dear!
I am from Omaha, bub, hence why it says my location is Omaha. Why do you think me name is Go NE? Because I'm from Denver and absolutely hate it and love Nebraska?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I am from Omaha, bub, hence why it says my location is Omaha. Why do you think me name is Go NE? Because I'm from Denver and absolutely hate it and love Nebraska?
Crap, now I have 3 million Denverites hating me for nothing.....SORRY DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, for Omaha......I don't know much about it....just the following...I went though there on a Greyhound bus once.....I remember a TV show called "Wild Kingdom" sponsored by Mutual of Omaha.....I know that this guy lives there somewhere....

Other than that, its okay, I guess.......Tell Warren I said Hi......

Old 06-05-2008, 05:30 PM

334 posts, read 1,261,265 times
1. New york city
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. San fransisco
5. Philadelphia
6. Detroit
7. Los angeles
8. Baltimore
9. Atlanta
10. Portland

^As you can see I like old industrial cites with lots of history lol. I know a lot of people don't like Detroit, but the cars, music, and sports is what I find interesting about it.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
1. New york city
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. San fransisco
5. Philadelphia
6. Detroit
7. Los angeles
8. Baltimore
9. Atlanta
10. Portland

^As you can see I like old industrial cites with lots of history lol. I know a lot of people don't like Detroit, but the cars, music, and sports is what I find interesting about it.
Detroit IS one of the great cities/metros....just the music alone make it the case, and not just Motown either....and they transformed the american and world landscape with the automobile......indeed, a great metro by anyones measure, and they have a hell of a hockey team too..
http://sharkspage.com/jpgs3/hockeytown2.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Crap, now I have 3 million Denverites hating me for nothing.....SORRY DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, for Omaha......I don't know much about it....just the following...I went though there on a Greyhound bus once.....I remember a TV show called "Wild Kingdom" sponsored by Mutual of Omaha.....I know that this guy lives there somewhere....

Other than that, its okay, I guess.......Tell Warren I said Hi......
Ok then, I shall inform you of all the wonderful things of Omaha (Steve-O remembers this)

1. We have the tallest building between Chicago and Denver(how ironic) and Tulsa and Minneapolis, One First National Center (First National Bank Tower)
http://www.fmsp.com/images/port_OT_FirstNational.jpg (broken link)
2. We were ranked the third best city to live by Kiplinger's Magazine

3. Our Downtown is in the middle of a Renaissance of growth and revitalization

4. Our economy is growing with a lot of high paying jobs coming here

5. We are getting tons of Condos, such as Wallstreet Tower, a 373 ft tower and Riverfront place, two twin condo towers on the Missouri River

http://www.downtownomahaliving.com/assets/properties/DLT08_wallstreet.jpg (broken link)
Wallstreet Tower
http://www.omaha.com/neo-images/photos/large/102207kcriverfrontplace.jpg (broken link)
Riverfront Place
6. The Qwest Center, our convention center, attracts tons of good acts and is ranked 10th in the nation for ticket sales

Qwest Center

7. We have a large and successful music scene, including Saddle Creek records

8. We are on of twenty cities to have 5 or more fortune 500 companies headquartered here, Berkshire Hathaway, Union Pacific, Conagra, Peter Kiewit, and Mutual of Omaha.

9. The richest man in the World lives here, Warren Buffet, owner of Berkshire Hathaway

10. We are building a landmark pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River

11. Gallup, a significant, world renowned and reliable poll company, has their headquarters here

12. Our zoo, Henry Doorly Zoo, is one of the best in the Country and the World and is going though a massive expansion, including adding a large polar area, a Madagascar exhibit, a new Elephant exhibit which we will get a herd of 12 for, potentially a panda exhibit, and a ski-lift like thing that will go across the zoo. They also recently opened a butterfly exhibit with dozens of different types of rare butterflies flying around you and they actually land on you (its also nearly impossible to step on them unless you had the intention to.) Plus, the zoo already has tons of records, the largest indoor rain forest, the largest indoor desert, the largest cat complex in North America, the largest indoor swamp, the second largest geodesic dome, and I think we have the largest gorilla complex.

13. We are home to the College World Series, which we are getting a new stadium for.

14. Mutual of Omaha is building a massive Condo/commercial complex called Midtown crossing

15. Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwards) Village, a mixed use complex, is being built in midtown

And those are just the Huge projects, there are tons of other projects going on here also. I don't even know all of them, check the Omaha forum if you want more.

So, is Omaha as bad as you thought it was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or