U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM

746 posts, read 3,458,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ok then, I shall inform you of all the wonderful things of Omaha (Steve-O remembers this)

1. We have the tallest building between Chicago and Denver(how ironic) and Tulsa and Minneapolis, One First National Center (First National Bank Tower)
http://www.fmsp.com/images/port_OT_FirstNational.jpg (broken link)
2. We were ranked the third best city to live by Kiplinger's Magazine

3. Our Downtown is in the middle of a Renaissance of growth and revitalization

4. Our economy is growing with a lot of high paying jobs coming here

5. We are getting tons of Condos, such as Wallstreet Tower, a 373 ft tower and Riverfront place, two twin condo towers on the Missouri River

http://www.downtownomahaliving.com/assets/properties/DLT08_wallstreet.jpg (broken link)
Wallstreet Tower
http://www.omaha.com/neo-images/photos/large/102207kcriverfrontplace.jpg (broken link)
Riverfront Place
6. The Qwest Center, our convention center, attracts tons of good acts and is ranked 10th in the nation for ticket sales

Qwest Center

7. We have a large and successful music scene, including Saddle Creek records

8. We are on of twenty cities to have 5 or more fortune 500 companies headquartered here, Berkshire Hathaway, Union Pacific, Conagra, Peter Kiewit, and Mutual of Omaha.

9. The richest man in the World lives here, Warren Buffet, owner of Berkshire Hathaway

10. We are building a landmark pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River

11. Gallup, a significant, world renowned and reliable poll company, has their headquarters here

12. Our zoo, Henry Doorly Zoo, is one of the best in the Country and the World and is going though a massive expansion, including adding a large polar area, a Madagascar exhibit, a new Elephant exhibit which we will get a herd of 12 for, potentially a panda exhibit, and a ski-lift like thing that will go across the zoo. They also recently opened a butterfly exhibit with dozens of different types of rare butterflies flying around you and they actually land on you (its also nearly impossible to step on them unless you had the intention to.)

13. We are home to the College World Series, which we are getting a new stadium for.

14. Mutual of Omaha is building a massive Condo/commercial complex called Midtown crossing

15. Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwards) Village, a mixed use complex, is being built in midtown

And those are just the Huge projects, there are tons of other projects going on here also. I don't even know all of them, check the Omaha forum if you want more.

So, is Omaha as bad as you thought it was?
No, It looks pretty damn nice, actually. I didn't see much from that bus, and that was 10 years ago. I like it because its not boastful like some places that get on top ten lists(like my Austin!), and it really does seem to be going through a renaissance...I would consider moving there, if that means anything........
I have two questions....
How is the job market?
and
How friendly are the people?

I just know that Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett came from there...they both had talk shows, so I guess they must be pretty friendly out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:31 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
No, It looks pretty damn nice, actually. I didn't see much from that bus, and that was 10 years ago. I like it because its not boastful like some places that get on top ten lists(like my Austin!), and it really does seem to be going through a renaissance...I would consider moving there, if that means anything........
I have two questions....
How is the job market?
and
How friendly are the people?

I just know that Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett came from there...they both had talk shows, so I guess they must be pretty friendly out there.

The job market is really strong right now, there are rumors of Pacific Life making some sort of headquarters here, whether regional or just plain headquarters, I dont know but they are building a Tower, and there are rumors of another tower by an unknown corporation being built in an abandoned lot.

The people are very friendly, I see people helping each other all of the time and people always smile and wave at each other.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM

214 posts, read 782,812 times
my top ten city
1.new york city
2.los angeles
3.chicago
4.san francisco
5.phily
6.boston
7.washington d.c.
8.seattle
9.houston
10.las vegas

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The job market is really strong right now, there are rumors of Pacific Life making some sort of headquarters here, whether regional or just plain headquarters, I dont know but they are building a Tower, and there are rumors of another tower by an unknown corporation being built in an abandoned lot.

The people are very friendly, I see people helping each other all of the time and people always smile and wave at each other.

Well, if Buffet lives there, there is surely money to be made........I just may move there.......you may have coaxed someone with those pics!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreezy View Post
my top ten city
1.new york city
2.los angeles
3.chicago
4.san francisco
5.phily
6.boston
7.washington d.c.
8.seattle
9.houston
10.las vegas
Hey, vegas finally amde it on someone's top 10 list! I did live there for 4 years in the late 90's, and it was some of the best times of my life! I think I aged 10 years from the sun(only reason I got out of there), but man was it a blast to live in! And thats when it was still cheap and you could get specials on the strip....we used to get 3 dollar steaks at Binions, go to huge buffets for 3-4 bucks all over.....just have a time, and it was a blast mingling with tourists on the strip when you were bored. Still, never saw
better looking single women anywhere, as so many worked on the strip
as dancers, you name it(no, most were legit!).....I think Vegas attracted every hot chick from southern cal who wanted to get away from it all....
my god, what a time!......

Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Well, if Buffet lives there, there is surely money to be made........I just may move there.......you may have coaxed someone with those pics!

Cool, I'm sure everyone in the Omaha forum would really be helpful, first of all, what kind of areas are you interested in? Urban or Suburban?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Cool, I'm sure everyone in the Omaha forum would really be helpful, first of all, what kind of areas are you interested in? Urban or Suburban?
Well, I'm pretty good with either, but, with the look of those new developments, looks like they have an urban renewal renaissance there, from what it appears. Urban would be ideal, if they have anything like those pics downtown. BTW, last time I remember, the pop of omaha was about 300K and change. Still about that? Do most of the people in the metro live in the city proper? How is the library and cultural scene there?
I like it because it seems like a different but nice place that is just getting on the national radar. The same old suspects like Austin get really old after awhile, as the sheeple seem to just flock to one place at a time.

Keep in mind that I'm actually really thinking about this now. These are the kind of places you want to go to, just before they get big, just like
Buffet's stock picks.....as he might say, a good time to pick, or be short on, Omaha.

I'm really tired of this place, Austin, trying to be so cool, which it really isn't anyway......so refreshing to see a down-to-earth metro that is booming, and excited to show off all their new developments.....

It seems like it would be a friendly place, and a place where locals would appreciate the attention and interest of relocatees, unlike Austin, and the "cooler" places, which look on newbies as peasants, like the Parisians.

Kiplinger picking it third might make sense now. I honestly laughed a bit, but after seeing the pics I can see something major going on there.
I'm very intrigued, anyway, at this point!

-Scott

BTW, one of my favorite places I've lived in was Indianapolis, which was actually pretty awesome, and no one outside of it thought of it. We could care less.
We had the speedway, two sports teams, one a superbowl winner, killer library districts and bike paths that went for 20 miles through the city, and on and on.
Again, a city doesn't have to be considered cool, by californians or anyone else, to be a great city to live in....I must check Omaha out!

Another BTW..just reread kiplingers #3 ranking again.....I see that Omaha has GOOD jobs, not the crappy service and hospitality ones you usually see in booming cities....finance, health care, information technology and insurance, for starters.....no tip related crap, or a bunch of crappy retail....
I really like the job mix....and the folks with bucks give back big time to the community, per the Holland Center, for starters.......in Austin, the movers and shakers throw nickels like sewercovers....I think Mikey Dell has given about a buck and a half back to the community all these years, and prob wrote that off as well anyway..LOL!...homes are affordable, and the region appears very prosperous and safe.....looks like a winner to me!

Last edited by scongress1234; 06-05-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM

120 posts, read 422,485 times
My list

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Seattle
4. Miami
5. Honolulu
6. Austin
7. Atlanta
8. Chicago
9. Boston
10. Houston

Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
My list

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Seattle
4. Miami
5. Honolulu
6. Austin
7. Atlanta
8. Chicago
9. Boston
10. Houston

Atlanta...great city, but the crime rate is so high........out of these 10, by far the highest.....other than the high crime Atlanta is booming and jumping out at the seams with great jobs.....ironically, one of the most educated work forces, right up there with austin and DC for % of collge grads.....nice people too! And don't get me started about the beautiful georgia peaches there..most beautiful women in the south hands down!
(Sorry Texas, georgia women are hotter, but Texas chicks are right behind, no pun intended)!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM

120 posts, read 422,485 times
Quote:
Atlanta...great city, but the crime rate is so high........out of these 10, by far the highest.....other than the high crime Atlanta is booming and jumping out at the seams with great jobs.....ironically, one of the most educated work forces, right up there with austin and DC for % of collge grads.....nice people too! And don't get me started about the beautiful georgia peaches there..most beautiful women in the south hands down!
(Sorry Texas, georgia women are hotter, but Texas chicks are right behind, no pun intended)!
Yea it is high but I still felt it was one of the nicer cities I have been to, hopefully they will clean up the crime in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or