U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,659,924 times

Advertisements

My observations from this forum and my own opinions:

1. Chicago - good sports town, fairly affordable for its size
2. New York - Great town, over priced and crowded, but apparently a great town anyway.
3. St. Louis - I love St. Louis. The history of it. The beautiful architecture, the people, and the fact that it's so cheap despite it's size. And obviously the Cardinals, Blues and Rams.
4. Detroit - Has rough edges. In some areas I feel kind of sorry for it. But it fascinates me.
5. Los Angeles - Big, somewhat ugly, crowded, incredibly expensive, but the weather apparently makes it all okay.
6. Atlanta - Hot, sticky, spread out, but seems like a nice place to visit.
7. Milwaukee - seems like a middle-class working town with a history of beer, sports, and cheese. I like sports and cheese.
8. Orlando - nice weather, old people, amusement parks
9. Raleigh, NC - Seems like a nice college town, decent weather
10. Kansas City - It's still in Missouri, so I need to give it some props. It seems like a decent town. They're often accused of having fair weather baseball fans, but when you have a team that's consistently out of the playoffs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM

746 posts, read 3,458,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ok lets get this started, first of all, I dont know everything about price ranges, post a thread on the Omaha forum for way more info, what is your price range anyway, and whats your occupation? And do you have kids because thats an important factor when it comes to a living areas.

In 2006, we had an estimated population of 427,872 in the city proper, so we probably have a population around 435,000 now. The metro in 2007 was estimated around 830,000.

By the way, one of the Twin Riverfront condo towers is done if you could afford something like that, and the Pedestrian bridge will be done in November and I think Aksarben Village is almost done though I'm not sure.

As for Library and culture scene, we have libraries all over the city, though I dont know how many. Culturally, we have a mix of the great plains and Mid west, we get all kinds of concerts (ranging from Symphony to rock and rap) and we have a huge music scene here and we get tons of Broadway plays that come through here along with a lot of non Broadway plays, we have a children's museum and theater, and a lot of historical sites such as the Lewis and Clark memorial along with a Mormon Cemetery up in North Omaha. The Old Market in downtown has the feeling of a small towns downtown with tons of local restaurants and shops converted from old ware houses, they still have a brick road there and along with those old light posts from the 1800's. We also have the original and very historic Boy's Town, which is still in operation.

For sports teams, we have Omaha Lancers, our hockey team who for some reason plays across the river in Iowa, Beef arena football, Creighton University has every type of sport except for Football and all of the teams there are good too, especially the basketball team.

Omaha has had its share of National and International events this year. First of all we had the Hannah Montana concert (but who really cares about that except for 6-12 year old girls?) We also played host to part of the NCAA Basketball tournament. This year, the Qwest Center is hosting the US Olympic Swim trials, which as we all know is a huge world class event. If it goes really well, we could be getting a lot more things like this.

IF you were to consider suburban, your best bet would be west Omaha in the Millard or Elkhorn areas, or La Vista and Papillion in the south, both have high wealth neighborhoods and have malls and such, if you have kids, they have the best school districts as well. These areas also have high paying jobs too, several companies have Campuses here, including First National Bank, Bank of the West, Paypal, C&A, and there are hospitals too. Our Childrens hospital here is one of the best in the Nation and we are the smallest city in the country to have 3 national research hospitals, Boys Town National Research Center, Creighton Medical Center, and the University and Nebraska Medical Center.

I advise you to avoid North Omaha because that area has high crime rates and their is a lot of poverty there, south Omaha is similar but not nearly as bad.

I really hope you do move here, and you should post a thread in the Omaha forum to get way more information than I can provide.

Thanks for the info...I'm surprised and saddened that Omaha proper has such a high crime rate, but thats pretty much how it is everywhere.......
but tons of info, and I much appreciate it....I hope you entice others with it as well....again, everyone doesn't have to move to the same 2-3 places.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you must be a realtor or work for the Chamber of Commerce
Or pitched Kiplingers for the #3 slot! LOL! Actually, seems like a person that just loves to boost their area.....and its okay to be a realtor or chamber member too.....either way, they evidentally see a lot of upside in their city, and I can see it too...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
My observations from this forum and my own opinions:

1. Chicago - good sports town, fairly affordable for its size
2. New York - Great town, over priced and crowded, but apparently a great town anyway.
3. St. Louis - I love St. Louis. The history of it. The beautiful architecture, the people, and the fact that it's so cheap despite it's size. And obviously the Cardinals, Blues and Rams.
4. Detroit - Has rough edges. In some areas I feel kind of sorry for it. But it fascinates me.
5. Los Angeles - Big, somewhat ugly, crowded, incredibly expensive, but the weather apparently makes it all okay.
6. Atlanta - Hot, sticky, spread out, but seems like a nice place to visit.
7. Milwaukee - seems like a middle-class working town with a history of beer, sports, and cheese. I like sports and cheese.
8. Orlando - nice weather, old people, amusement parks
9. Raleigh, NC - Seems like a nice college town, decent weather
10. Kansas City - It's still in Missouri, so I need to give it some props. It seems like a decent town. They're often accused of having fair weather baseball fans, but when you have a team that's consistently out of the playoffs...

Orlando is one of the few fla cities with a young population.....ft. myers,
St. petes, and some of Ft. Lauderdale would be in th older category though..

Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
Oakland
San Francisco
San Jose
Los Angeles
Long Beach
San Diego
Honolulu

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,010,055 times
Only including cities I've personally seen...

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
Washington DC
Philadelphia
Columbus
Cleveland
Cincinnati

Gotta give Ohio some love!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you must be a realtor or work for the Chamber of Commerce
Nope, I'm just a very proud and informed resident.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Thanks for the info...I'm surprised and saddened that Omaha proper has such a high crime rate, but thats pretty much how it is everywhere.......
but tons of info, and I much appreciate it....I hope you entice others with it as well....again, everyone doesn't have to move to the same 2-3 places.
What is your price range for housing anyway? It would be nice to know to give you a good area to live or to see if you could live in one of the really nice condo towers

The crime is mostly in the Northern and southern areas of the city proper, the western areas are fine, they have all been annexed by the city here's a small map of the city proper

The north eastern areas are the crime areas so are the southern, the western areas west of that northern peninsula like thing are fine, so are the central eastern areas

Here are the southern suburbs in Sarpy county

La Vista

and Papillion, these are the nice southern suburbs with really good schools

This is Gretna another nice suburb which is growing fast

Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,035,933 times
I had never really heard much about Omaha until I started posting on these boards. Is it well known regionally? I can't even really think of where it is on the map.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I had never really heard much about Omaha until I started posting on these boards. Is it well known regionally? I can't even really think of where it is on the map.
It's more of a State and regional city then a national city but its starting to gain fame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or