U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:00 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times

Advertisements

I think I should finally list mine except it will be my top 11 because my first is obvious

1. Omaha, duh

2. Chicago

3. New York City

4. Minneapolis/St. Paul

5. Kansas City

6. Seattle

7. San Francisco

8. Anchorage

9. Des Moines

10. Dallas

11. Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 AM

746 posts, read 3,457,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It also has many undesirable qualities, such as a lack of culture, lack of public transportation, a very cookie-cutter character, etc. Great weather can only take you so far.
Orlando IS one of the more dynamic metros in FLorida. It is the youngest in population along with Jacksonville, and has a very unique geography, being totally inland, and having a nice bunch of lakes in the DT center, not unlike the twin cities.....and truly the job market is very good there...the only problem is that it is very low paying, and centered on service and tourism, which are mostly dead end. Now that is not entirely the case, as they have a decent tech sector as well, with Disney and local NASA on the coast jump starting a latent tech center, though it is not huge, and hasn't quite lived up to the promise of a decade ago.......that being said, it IS one of the better Fla metros...

Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Orlando IS one of the more dynamic metros in FLorida. It is the youngest in population along with Jacksonville, and has a very unique geography, being totally inland, and having a nice bunch of lakes in the DT center, not unlike the twin cities.....and truly the job market is very good there...the only problem is that it is very low paying, and centered on service and tourism, which are mostly dead end. Now that is not entirely the case, as they have a decent tech sector as well, with Disney and local NASA on the coast jump starting a latent tech center, though it is not huge, and hasn't quite lived up to the promise of a decade ago.......that being said, it IS one of the better Fla metros...

So are you going to move here?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 PM

46,857 posts, read 37,027,875 times
Default Scattershooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
What do you mean for a change? It is a FACT that NYC is one of the top cities in America. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.
Sorry, but the OP was not specific about what kind of top ten; thus, all the opinions you've seen given so far. NYC gets too much attention, anyway. Top ten cities don't necessarily have to include the highest-populated, smelliest, dirtiest, or rudest. We've got a few good lists going and I can't wait to see what others come up with. With this group, you have to expect the unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i wasn't thinking hard enough when i typed! I forgot Minneapolis/St. Paul, Tulsa, Denver, Newport, Charleston, etc..! man, too many good cities
Your second list is actually better than the first one, Billiam. Lots of deserving cities get left off, and I'll bet we'll see a list of smaller cities, with no rhyme or reason. Don't worry about not thinking hard enough. You should just go with the second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I think I should finally list mine except it will be my top 11 because my first is obvious

1. Omaha, duh

2. Chicago

3. New York City

4. Minneapolis/St. Paul

5. Kansas City

6. Seattle

7. San Francisco

8. Anchorage

9. Des Moines

10. Dallas

11. Atlanta
You go, Go Ne! I agree. Omaha has to go in there somewhere. Nice cheating to sneak in the eleventh pick. I should have gone with fifteen, myself, with a few ties.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Tourism - That's A Good Thing

Quote:

Very nice pic from Orlando. Tourism isn't so bad for a metro. As a matter of fact, Orlando benefits from that. That's all the more reason for people to pick it.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM

746 posts, read 3,457,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Very nice pic from Orlando. Tourism isn't so bad for a metro. As a matter of fact, Orlando benefits from that. That's all the more reason for people to pick it.
Actually, I'm a bit partial to Orlando, as I lived there for a few years in the mid 90's. I actually thought DT Orlando was beautiful, with two large lakes right in the city center, like Madison, Wisc., with lake mendota, or Minne-saint paul. On pleasant week-end days, we used to ride these neat little swan boats on the DT lakes, with the skyscrapers in the background. Much prettier DT than Austin, and they never brag a bit about it. Strangely enough, most of the locals hate Disney, and never go there except for employment or out of town visitors. I went there more before as a kid than the three years I lived there. And, the locals are very friendly, if you can weed them out from the tourists, which wasn't hard.

Winter Park was a really cool arty neighborhood, with Un of cen fla in the area, and some very very cool shops and clubs....here are a few pics of it

Lots of wine tastings
http://blog.orlandoavenue.com/m/blogs/orlave/Orlando_Florida/DanceClass_000.jpg (broken link)

Adult jazz dance studios, some with yoga hybrids

Lots of very ambiant townhomes and rehabbed classic homes

AND, you have a bunch of great college kids going to the UCF, right in the middle of the neighborhood!

Really beautiful campus!

And you have the famous swan boats downtown

Yes, its cheesy, but its actually loads of fun chilling on them on a hot day, and one thing the tourists never get to!

Lastly a few shots of beautiful DT Orlando....

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/lkeola.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Good God can't you two do this privately?

From the Terms of Service:

"Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."
How is he supposed to share with everyone the glory of Omaha if that conversation is in private. Golly, don't you know anything??

Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Downtown Scenes

Quote:
[IMG]
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/lkeola.jpg (broken link)

Good contrasts for Downtown Orlando. I might need to redo my top ten and this time I might put them in order.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 AM

9,466 posts, read 12,309,257 times
Default Just for a twist less try some 3rd and 4th tier Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
Here are my list of the Top Ten U.S. Cities based on no particular criteria. The order of the cities reflects no particular ranking. This is just a general top ten. Which cities, if any do you think don't belong on this list and which cities would you add to this list?

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Seattle
6. Austin
7. San Francisco
8. Washington D.C.
9. Denver
10. Boston

1. Tulsa OK.....Bok Arena....Philbrook....Riverside Park....Historic Route 66
2. Oklahoa City....Bricktown.....Professional Sports NBA......OU/Norman OK
3. Fresno Cali......55 Miles from Yosemite National Park.....
4. Long Beach Cali....Next door to LA but Ocean/Land Breezes (no smog)
5. Omaha/Lincoln...Downtown Construction Boom will top off in 2010-2012
6.Louisville Kentucky......America most under rated City
7.Albuquerque New Mexico....Will emerge nationally by 2012
8.Tucson Arizona...Will emerge nationally by 2010 before Albuq/NM
9. Rapid City S.D.....Mount Rushmore..Big Town/Medium City Attitude
10.Columbus S.C.....Small City/Big City Attitude...Progressive
11. Charleston S.C.....Small City/Big City Attitude...Resort Area

Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

1. Tulsa OK.....Bok Arena....Philbrook....Riverside Park....Historic Route 66
2. Oklahoa City....Bricktown.....Professional Sports NBA......OU/Norman OK
3. Fresno Cali......55 Miles from Yosemite National Park.....
4. Long Beach Cali....Next door to LA but Ocean/Land Breezes (no smog)
5. Omaha/Lincoln...Downtown Construction Boom will top off in 2010-2012
6.Louisville Kentucky......America most under rated City
7.Albuquerque New Mexico....Will emerge nationally by 2012
8.Tucson Arizona...Will emerge nationally by 2010 before Albuq/NM
9. Rapid City S.D.....Mount Rushmore..Big Town/Medium City Attitude
10.Columbus S.C.....Small City/Big City Attitude...Progressive
11. Charleston S.C.....Small City/Big City Attitude...Resort Area
if Sioux Falls fits in that ranking I'd throw them in, I've been there and to Rapid City, and while I liked both, I never really felt I found a downtown area in RC. with SF, it had a nice community, with some slightly taller buildings that stood out offering a nice downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or