U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 15,560 times
Default Best rural places to move with great weather, no snow

We currently live in Ft. Wayne, IN and want to move to a state that gets very little to no snow, has decent schools with opportunities for teacher employment, and is very rural, but with in an hour or so drive to a good size city. We don't mind diversity, just no gangs or thugs, Ft. Wayne is getting pretty bad that way, and a way of life like it used to be in the country when I was growing up, you know where people say hi on the street even if they don't know you and wave when driving by on country roads, and where neighbors still know and care about each other, but still maintain some privacy. If I'm asking for too much then I guess I'll have to pick and choose which things are most important, but I'm hoping there's a place out there somewhere in this country that is waiting for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:02 AM

22 posts, read 64,874 times
Well, not many responses here, so let me offer something not too far from your present location. Northeast Tennessee, called the Tri-Cities area for Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol, has plenty of rural country left, yet is close to a good regional airport, a top-notch medical center, and a really good regional university. Let me know what you think, and good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Craig

Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 AM

6,758 posts, read 14,098,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnski View Post
Well, not many responses here, so let me offer something not too far from your present location. Northeast Tennessee, called the Tri-Cities area for Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol, has plenty of rural country left, yet is close to a good regional airport, a top-notch medical center, and a really good regional university. Let me know what you think, and good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Craig
Don't they still get snow?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 AM

8,887 posts, read 20,353,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Don't they still get snow?
Yes they do. NE TN is definitely not a good suggestion.

Besides, I would hardly call the airport in the Tri Cities "good" unless you happen to like limited service, tiny planes and outrageously high air fares.

If ctnski is determined to recommend somewhere in Tennessee, better options would be places like Cookeville, Shelbyville, or Tullahoma. They're small'ish communities with good school systems, they get very little snow, and they're close to Nashville which really does have a good airport (hub for Southwest Airlines, cheap air fares and lots of flights to all over the country).

I would also recommend the areas around Huntsville, Alabama or Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,088,158 times
Lake Side, Ramona and Santee (San Diego County) are all rural (some more than others) and are relatively close to San Diego proper. There are others further out like Julian (snows there though). The upside I think about the area is you have beach, mountains, desert, etc. So many options within a reasonable travel area.

I've never lived in the rural areas but haven't heard anything bad about them and have known people who lived out that way. If nothing else it gives you somewhere to start.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:51 PM

5,577 posts, read 9,588,411 times
Most rural areas worth anything will get snow on occasion. That's much of the appeal, I thought.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM

835 posts, read 1,462,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes they do. NE TN is definitely not a good suggestion.

Besides, I would hardly call the airport in the Tri Cities "good" unless you happen to like limited service, tiny planes and outrageously high air fares.

If ctnski is determined to recommend somewhere in Tennessee, better options would be places like Cookeville, Shelbyville, or Tullahoma. They're small'ish communities with good school systems, they get very little snow, and they're close to Nashville which really does have a good airport (hub for Southwest Airlines, cheap air fares and lots of flights to all over the country).

I would also recommend the areas around Huntsville, Alabama or Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Sssshhh.

Lol keep telling everybody that there won't be any rural areas.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 17,441 times
where would a good place to live with little to no snow & ice, good place to raise a family, easy living, laid back, and affordable?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 12,149,088 times
Texas Hill Country btw Austin and San Antonio.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM

6,256 posts, read 7,097,551 times
Perhaps in the low country of South Carolina or the Athens, Georgia area? I'm pretty sure Athens has some relatively wealthy areas surrounding it since it's a growing city...good schools usually follow. You'd also be close enough to enjoy University of Georgia football games.

I went to college in Clemson, South Carolina which is about 90 minutes away from Athens. In my four years, I believe it only snowed twice. I use the term "snow" lightly...there was maybe a half-inch each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.