U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States convert to the metric system?
Yes, almost the whole world use the metric system! 36 43.90%
We should use both! 6 7.32%
Nah, Imperial is better 34 41.46%
I don't care 6 7.32%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,925 times

Advertisements

The imperial is all I know. I've never understood the metric system. But then I've never really studied it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM

22,381 posts, read 27,568,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
The imperial system is so stupid and counter-intuitive. God, I hate it. Def change to the metric system!
Fortunately, many Americans don't agree with you.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,121 times
i think u mean unfortunately lots of dumb americans dont agree...i love being in a country where the metric systeme is used... casue it really smart to strat measuring temperature from 32 and not zero...i was being sarcastic if u didnt realise...

Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filangely View Post
i think u mean unfortunately lots of dumb americans dont agree...i love being in a country where the metric systeme is used... casue it really smart to strat measuring temperature from 32 and not zero...i was being sarcastic if u didnt realise...
You're back! Of course spelling is now optional I see. I'll just put you on my Ignore list right now, so this whole blooming argument doesn't fire back up again.

If you really are somebody else other than NorthNJ, Mattias, or Suryoyo sory for jumping to that conclusion, but your first two posts are on threads started by the same person and both are already calling Americans stupid and ignorant. Same type of person at the very least, and one that is quick to draw broad conclusions from a small sample of people. Which make you the narrow minded fool, not us. Welcome to my ignore list. With only 2 posts, this has got to be the quickest anybody has ever made it onto the list. But you have already shown the level of quality of the posts you will be making so, I am sure it is a safe bet.

Last edited by Bydand; 11-12-2008 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: content

Old 11-12-2008, 06:07 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,384,690 times
Please not another imperial vs metric poll!

Or is it the same one coming back again and again?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Please not another imperial vs metric poll!

Or is it the same one coming back again and again?
Same one again. I think probably same person as well. I mean come on, not even smart enough to know the metric system doesn't "Start" measuring temp at 0. There are plenty of days that are below 0C here during the course of a winter. If you start measuring temp at 0 you are using the Kelvin scale (Which is the one used in the SI measurement system anyway, and NOT Celsius). I have yet to hear a proponent of the metric system use the correct accepted unit of temp. Nobody says it is a fine 297.0388889 K outside (75F by the way). OR 296.15K instead of 23C.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,502,933 times
We should convert eventually. The conversion will have to be little-by-little and not immediate because most people here have lived with Imperial - and only Imperial - for their entire lives. It all needs to start in schools. The mind of a child is malleable; learning metric is easy at a young age. After several years, we should just phase out Imperial.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:40 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,359,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh please, can't you figure out in your head how to get from Fahrenheit to Celsius? It's not that hard. And why do you have to do it anyway? Aren't you bright enough to figure out that anything below 32F is freezing?

Sorry, if someone from another country is driving in the US, it's up to that person to change to our system and not the other way around. Again, it's not that hard to figure out how many kilometers equal one mile. If you're not bright enough to figure it out in your head, then you probably have no business driving a car in the first place.

Now I guess you'll say that we should also have all of our road signs in Spanish to accommodate all those drivers from Mexico.

LOL, you have to call somebody stupid because they think a far logical system should be used.

Have you ever done Mechanics problems, physics problems, thermodynamics problems and have to use the IP system? If you ever learn these sciences come back and tell me that using the IP system is better than using a metric system. Tell me a system that uses the length of a old kings foot is better than using something that uses a logical format of numbers used by multiples of 10.

This isn't about other people from other countries driving in America. This is about a system that uses logic vs a system that has no logic at all. I can't believe something like this is turned into a argument of "Pro-America" against the rest of the world. This country gets more stupid by the day.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,520,596 times
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I don't know how many grams it takes...and I don't care!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM

10 posts, read 13,817 times
Default Not a into making a profit are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If it's not broke don't fix it.

No reason to switch to Metric. You can convert measurements back and forth between the two.

While we're at it, let's teach everyone one language. That would make things easier.

But it is 'broken' American companies are at a complete disadvantage because now They are the only ones in the world that are force to buy and use English and Metric tools and hardware. They have twice the cost to keep up in making products. If they only use and design in Metric, they can make more profit.

[URL="http://www.change.org/actions/view/twenty-first_century_metric_america"]Twenty-First Century Metric America | Change.org[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.