U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,175 times

Advertisements

Have any grandparents out there considering it or have already moved to be closer to their grandkids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM

2,293 posts, read 5,589,551 times
My parents are almost retired and are trying to figure this one out. I live in DC 'burbs, my sisters family in Chicago 'burbs, my brothers family in San Antonio. What they are considering is doing short term rentals in each area throughout the year.
That is unrealistic because of the cost and as they get older, they want to be in their home where they have familiarity and feel comfortable driving, etc. (which is currently Kansas) not in some other town.
I have said this before, moving near the family to establish a closer relationship with the grandkids is not as idyllic as it sounds. In my case, my mother is very bossy and overbearing-it's a constant 'you don't do this right', it's an interruption to my daily schedule and her attitude stresses me out and puts pressure on my hubby. My siblings feel the same but we all want her to have a relationship with the grandkids.
I can only assume that Grandma has issues/pressures when she visits any of us so its not all fun for her either.
What I would like is for my parents to move to a place they wish to retire to (in their case, NYC suburbs), then make a committed effort to fly in an visit for 7 days twice a year, on a regular schedule. That way, I know when they'll be here and I can prepare myself for the eventual fights, my kids will have a personal relationship with them and when they get old enough, they can fly to Grandmas to spend a week there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or