U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 15,114 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Utah. I hate it here. We live in the Ogden area. I need to get out of here to save my sanity. We have 5 kids soon to be 6. I do not want to give birth to the new baby in this state! My husband is Mexican and works in construction. I am used to doing administrative / office type of work. We are trying to find a place to move that is accepting of Mexicans and has job opportunities. I have a degree and don't mind working, but right now I am not. I would like to rent something cheap at first to get to know the area. I would like to live in a place that has a lot of trees and grass (green). I don't mind the humidity but I don't like the snow too much but I can tolerate a little. I would like a place that has a lot of stuff for children to do, a diverse cultural atmosphere, (something Utah doesn't have) and a variety of restaurants and places to go. I don't mind some crime but don't want as much as Phoenix Arizona. Good schools would be nice but I would probably put the kids in a private school. We have about 10K to move on with so that is not enough money to visit a place first and land a job so we will just have to move to a place we know will work out for us. After reading these forums it seems that you really have to move somewhere first before you can land yourself a job. I am really not to fond of the west coast. I (think) I would prefer the southern or eastern states. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice. I would really like to make the BIG move within the next month or two. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
Default Some Snow

HI, I live in Colorado. Not sure that this will help you out or not. We do get snow here but the Southern Part of Colorado does not get as much snow in the Pueblo area. Pueblo folks are very receptive to mexian folks. It has typically been a great place and west western part of Pueblo has grown alot on the past 10 years. There are alot of nice outdoor activities if you enjoy that. It is about 35-40 minute drive south of Colorado Springs area and about 25 miles north of the New Mexico Border. I am not that familiar with the schools.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
Louisville, Kentucky
- 8th safest large city in the US
- has many eccletic neighborhoods with tons of local shops and restaurants
- one of the best city park systems in the US. 3 large parks were designed by same person as NYC's Central Park. These 3 are connected by tree lined roads called parkways
- has a zoo, childrens science museum
- home to the largest municipal forest in the US with over 6,000 acres (Jefferson Memorial Forest) , features over 30 miles of hikinh trails
Jefferson Memorial Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/LouLoop.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/Jcf-tuliptree_trail_6-2.JPG/796px-Jcf-tuliptree_trail_6-2.JPG (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Louemaindev.jpg/800px-Louemaindev.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144304.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-06-2008, 03:02 PM

11,870 posts, read 32,895,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville, Kentucky
- 8th safest large city in the US
- has many eccletic neighborhoods with tons of local shops and restaurants
- one of the best city park systems in the US. 3 large parks were designed by same person as NYC's Central Park. These 3 are connected by tree lined roads called parkways
- has a zoo, childrens science museum
- home to the largest municipal forest in the US with over 6,000 acres (Jefferson Memorial Forest) , features over 30 miles of hikinh trails
Jefferson Memorial Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are plenty of places in the South that have more job growth and more Hispanics than Louisville.

Using statistics from the Ceneus Bureau and from individual states' departments of labor, here are some facts and figures that might interest the OP:

Raleigh-Cary NC has added 11,000 jobs in the last year and is 8% Hispanic. Its current unemployment rate is 4.0%.

Nashville TN has added 10,000 jobs in the last year and is 7.1% Hispanic. Its current unemployment rate is 4.3%.

Charlotte NC has added 4,000 jobs in the last year and is 9.8% Hispanic. Its current unemployment rate is 5.1%.

Louisville KY has added 3,500 jobs in the last year and is 2.6% Hispanic. Its current unemployment rate is 5.6%.

Birmingham AL has added 3,000 jobs in the last year and is 2.6% Hispanic. Its current unemployment rate is 3.1%.

By contrast, Ogden UT has added 3,000 jobs in the last year and is 15% Hispanic.

So if you want to come to the South, it looks like your best chances of getting a job are in Birmingham AL, Nashville TN or Raleigh NC. Of those, Raleigh has the highest concentration of Hispanics with Nashville not too far behind.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM

32,319 posts, read 55,123,408 times
I was going to say Utah till I read your first post! LOL

Anyway,
Utah is perhaps the most immigrant friendly state in the country. Utah gives driving priviledges and a college education to illegals which I've personally think are good things.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM

8 posts, read 15,114 times
Default Thank you for the input

I had looked into north carolina a little bit. I couldn't find any good apartments to choose from but I have heard that they are "Mexican friendly" I don't want to move to a part where the majority of the population is mexican either. I have also heard that they have a lot of racist attitudes towards blacks and mexicans. I am not sure if that is true though. I love the idea that it is near a beach. The pictures of louisville kentucky are just beautiful that looks like that would be a great place to go I will have to look into their apartments and stuff. What do you guys think about austin texas? I don't want to go to a place with high crime. That is another reason I was scared to look more into north carolina. If you could tell me of some areas that are decent around those north carolina areas. I heard that alabama was really bad with crime and mostly blacks or racist whites but I know they have mother angelica and her monastery there which is great! I am not a racist and I don't mind blacks or whites or mexicans but I don't want to be in an area that they are not able to mix all together with out tension. I don't really want my children exposed to that junk. Utah I think is beautiful but I am not mormon. I do not like the culture and there is really no diversity here. It is killing me. Utah does have a lot of mexicans but they pretty much are just in one area.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,046,767 times
Las Vegas is Mexican friendly, diverse overall, and there are always lots of construction jobs.
Crime isn't particularly bad, either.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 AM

980 posts, read 2,908,211 times
How about Ocala, Florida it has always seemed like a nice place to me, about 6% hispanic, and 25% African-American. Since its a little more off the coast it is less prone to the brunt of hurricanes.

Ocala National Forest:

Found at:
Flickr - By: Jim's outside photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or