U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:40 PM

699 posts, read 1,777,969 times

Advertisements

I think one of the points people have been making is that...the kind of behaviour you described is not unique to the south. It is also not the norm, but it does still show it's face sometimes. Ignorance and prejudice is certainly not limited to the southern U.S. and backward, uneducated people live in every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:12 AM

569 posts, read 880,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
Everyone that lives in the "Colonies" is a "Yankee!" I hear it all the time from my friends that swear allegiance to the King....uh, Queen, in the "Mother Land."

Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 PM

943 posts, read 140,110 times
Default Nauseating Posts

Im not from any of these places johnnyboy or whatever your name is and the few others on here, that have actually showed what your trying to get away from. There is a tremendous amount of looking down your nose at people, not all southerners thankfully, but there is a lot of it there. My point is, listen to your self, the post is about YANKEE, and you went right to bashing gays, like it was gay marriage your opposed to. YOUR OPPOSED TO GAYS PERIOD, your not fooling anyone, and thats your perogative. I have mine to, and this is not intended to all southerners, but the day you get to talk about some gay, to vote on them, like they were some slop on the side of the road, is the day, I tell you to stay in your hickville, and I just did.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 10,800,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue1 View Post
As for the {damn Yankee} thing. As the joke goes. A yankee comes south to visit----------a damn yankee stays.
My version...a yankee comes south to visit, a damn yankee moves here, and a ***damn yankee moves here, complains about how great it was back up north, and then WON"T move back!!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 10,800,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
... even a 6th grader knows that a Wyomingite is no more Yankee then a Californian is a Southerner. Should not have said that. haha
Actually, in the South, anyone US citizen NOT from the South is called a yankee. It could be friendly...or not. Depends on the "furrener" and his/her attitude. But yeah, that guy sounds like he'd had a couple too many. Better to clear out than confront.
About 30 years ago, we had a lot of Michigan folks move here to Alabama when the auto industry began moving down. A few years ago, one of them said to me, "I used to think Southerners were obsessed with the Civil War, but now I understand. You live here among the battlefields, your grandfathers and great-grandfathers actually fought in the war."

Last edited by Southlander; 02-16-2007 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 PM

101 posts, read 224,899 times
The North/South debate has been done to DEATH here. I guess some people really have to much time on there hands!!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 PM

34 posts, read 2,967 times
Default Southern Revenge

The South got its revenge when most Northern cities were invaded by certain people from the South and pretty much destroyed. Sherman didn't accomplish 1% as much destruction. And so permanent too.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,317,707 times
Um, but then a lot of rude northerners ruined southern towns and cities too.

So it worked both ways.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:11 PM

22,016 posts, read 39,697,317 times
I wouldnt know why a new yorker would be offended by the word yankee considering it a baseball team, no different than calling a carolinian a tarheel.

Im not obsessed with civil war but I am proud to discuss my family heritage considering one of my great great great great grandfathers took part in this war and it has a strong history in what made the area where I was raised to become a part of this nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I am new here and after shifting through an awful lot of negative posts about the south (from northerners and others who had to move there and then quickly moved out) I have two pertinent questions for the southerners here:

- is "yankee" considered an insult? I've been called yankee many times by southerners but I still can't figure out if this is meant as an insult (as in damn yankee) or is it secret code for "you don't belong here"? Or is it an endearing nickname for enemies of the state?

- why are southerners obsessed with the civil war?

I mean really obsessed. Here in the northeast, nobody talks about the civil war. It's ancient history and we don't hold any ill will towards the Confederacy. But it's a different story down south where people endlessly discuss it and still consider us "yankees" as traitors. I don't get it.

One of the first wars we are taught up here is the Revolutionary War but you don't see us talking about it as if it happened last night and still hold a grudge against those damn redcoats.

In many ways, visiting the south is like seeing my sixth grade history textbook come to life.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:44 PM

585 posts, read 425,989 times
Momof2dfw and Friendnc, well said!!! I would just like to add that I have many friends who have relocated here in the past year and I loving call them damn yankees...meaning they have decided to call themselves southerners and I tell them no one else would let them stay and we are too polite to make them go!! It is all in fun. Not once have we discuss the Civil War nor do I plan to. We are too busy just hanging out together, grillin and chillin while watching the grass grow and drinking a tall glass of sweet tea or a beer.

Again, no matter where you go, it is all in what you make of it. Don't blame it on the ones who have lived there all their lives, just try to enjoy. We will surprise you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.