Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,353,610 times

Advertisements

There are three races, or sub-species of humans.

Caucasian, Negroid and Mongoloid.

There is no "Asian" race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM

4,795 posts, read 12,324,710 times
In America, we generally consider Asian to be what we used to call Oriental referring to Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and Vietnamese. Now we call them Asian but that leaves out a huge number of people on the Asian continent like Indians, Iranians, and Arabs. it would be better to come up with a better term, if indeed we really need one at all which is a whole other subject.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Asians are a distinct race but Latinos are Caucasian.
tell that to the Latinos that are inherently Indian, and I mean from the americas. My SIL would be highly offended of she were grouped as from europe.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 PM

983 posts, read 3,587,691 times
Default Is "Asian" a race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
In America, we generally consider Asian to be what we used to call Oriental referring to Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and Vietnamese. Now we call them Asian but that leaves out a huge number of people on the Asian continent like Indians, Iranians, and Arabs. it would be better to come up with a better term, if indeed we really need one at all which is a whole other subject.
Well, according to the US census, as radraja mentioned, Asians from Persia westwards and Central Asians are considered White (green area), yet even in the turquoise area, many, if not most, Indonesians and Indians are racially very distinct from East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.).

China, India, and Indonesia constitute the 1st, 2nd, and 4th largest countries in the world, yet their populations are deemed to be of one race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
People have been stressing that Latino is not a race.
Don't you think the same can be said about Asian? At least the way it is being used today.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
There are black, white, native American and (yes, really) Asian Latinos. Most Latinos are mestizos which is a mixture of Caucasian European descent and native American blood. There can not be a black or white Asian, with some VERY notable exceptions listed in this thread, although they would technically still not be considered Asian despite living/originating in Asia, at least by the US census definition, such as Arabs.

Basically, there are only really three "real" races anyhow, caucasoid, negroid, and mongolid. Everything thing else that we use is a U.S census created umbrella term.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
There are black, white, native American and (yes, really) Asian Latinos. Most Latinos are mestizos which is a mixture of Caucasian European descent and native American blood. There can not be a black or white Asian, with some VERY notable exceptions listed in this thread, although they would technically still not be considered Asian despite living/originating in Asia, at least by the US census definition, such as Arabs.

Basically, there are only really three "real" races anyhow, caucasoid, negroid, and mongolid. Everything thing else that we use is a U.S census created umbrella term.
arent most of us mongrels if we really shook the family tree a bit?
I suppose some folks would be appalled if they really looked at what fell out of their respective trees.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
arent most of us mongrels if we really shook the family tree a bit?
I suppose some folks would be appalled if they really looked at what fell out of their respective trees.
If you shake the family tree, you're bound to get a few nuts!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you shake the family tree, you're bound to get a few nuts!
Some of us more than others, I daresay!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,587,691 times
Default Is "Asian" a race?

Quote:
There can not be a black or white Asian

This is a picture of Melanesians, yet many Indonesians look just like them.

Most Indians don't look "Asian", either.

Yet these people are considered to be of the same race as Koreans.

Btw, Melanesians and Australian Aborigines fall into the "racial" category of Pacific Islanders in America. Often grouped together with the "Asian" and/or "Native American" race.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Pretty clever way to disguise the bigger picture there. Let's just quote from the particular sentence that you mutilated.

Quote:
There can not be a black or white Asian, with some VERY notable exceptions listed in this thread, although they would technically still not be considered Asian despite living/originating in Asia, at least by the US census definition, such as Arabs.
Even if my sentence was as narrow as what you quoted, you still didn't make a compelling argument. Would you ever think a native of the Greek Isles is of the same "race" as a Nordic, Scottish or Ukrainian person? Well technically they are. Look no further than kshe's post to see why.

I apologize if my toned seemed harsh, I just didn't think the way you quoted my post was appropriate. To me that was like putting words in my mouth. If that was not your intention, I apologize for wrongly accusing you.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-08-2008 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.