U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times

Advertisements

The census map is obviously wrong. I use to live in central Asia and can quite assure you that the people there are not caucasian, they are the mongolid, or as others call asian decent. The only exceptions are those who immigrated there after the local clans submitted their territory to Russia in exchange for protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Pretty clever way to disguise the bigger picture there. Let's just quote from the particular sentence that you mutilated.

Even if my sentence was as narrow as what you quoted, you still didn't make a compelling argument. Would you ever think a native of the Greek Isles is of the same "race" as a Nordic, Scottish or Ukrainian person? Well technically they are. Look no further than kshe's post to see why.

I apologize if my toned seemed harsh, I just didn't think the way you quoted my post was appropriate. To me that was like putting words in my mouth. If that was not your intention, I apologize for wrongly accusing you.
Thank you, compelledtoreply, I really wanted to highlight that no one seems to be of one race or another these days, I think thats a good thing.
I am sure I am going to call down the hounds of hell upon my head, but I am going to do it anyway, because someone must, and I have broad shoulders.......
this whole thing seems to smack of racial nonsense, and do I need to remind anyone of an Austrian someone with a certain racial agenda that I need not name?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 AM

985 posts, read 3,189,850 times
Default Is "Asian" a race?

I honestly don't really care that much about man made racial classifications.

The reason I created this thread is the repeated sentence "Latino is not a race", leaving Black, Asian, and White as "races".

As if on one side there's ethnicity (Latino or non-Latino) and on the other side the races (Black, Asian, and White).

At least in the way US Census classifies it, Asian is actually closer to ethnicity (like Latino) than race.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,589,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
This is how the census determines race:

Image:800px-US Census 2000 race definitions

Blue = Native American (including many modern day Hispanics)

Yellow = Black / African American

Green = White / Caucasian

Turquoise = Asian.

Pink = Pacific Islander.
That is funny though... when you thin Asian... you think a Chinese looking guy... The central Asia former Soviet states are full with orientals but by definition they are 'white'.
Latino should be a separate race... some do look Caucasian but Native Americans are descendants of Asians so I guess.... really... many more more Asian...
Maybe they should make new Categories...
White, Black, Brown, and Yellow...LOL
Race is race though...whatever... I'll put down what I feel like putting down...

Old 06-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I honestly don't really care that much about man made racial classifications.

The reason I created this thread is the repeated sentence "Latino is not a race", leaving Black, Asian, and White as "races".

As if on one side there's ethnicity (Latino or non-Latino) and on the other side the races (Black, Asian, and White).

At least in the way US Census classifies it, Asian is actually closer to ethnicity (like Latino) than race.
I believe you just created a conundrum, or at the very least, you contradicted yourself.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 AM

985 posts, read 3,189,850 times
Default Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I believe you just created a conundrum, or at the very least, you contradicted yourself.
I guess I'm too simple (aka dumb) to understand what you mean with that.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I guess I'm to dumb to understand what you mean with that.
-rolling eyes- oh, please, dont disenfranchise yourself so obviously.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,884,343 times
I think this is something far too complex to answer out of pure speculation.

If you look to the experts, many scientists actually don't believe that races exist at all (on a biological level). This includes ~75% of anthropologists.

Use and Measurement of Race in Health & Social Science Research
The Biology of Race
Race (classification of human beings) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,054,258 times
The ultimate outcome of any discussion on race is that we are all blended & even asking a person what race they are can lead to confusion.

For example, why does Obama consider himself black? His mother was white. My cousins are Anglo & Latino. In California there is so much inter-racial marriage that it is impossible to figure out race.

I think we are evolving into a people that is clearly the human race not all these antiquated descriptions that separate us

Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The ultimate outcome of any discussion on race is that we are all blended & even asking a person what race they are can lead to confusion.

For example, why does Obama consider himself black? His mother was white. My cousins are Anglo & Latino. In California there is so much inter-racial marriage that it is impossible to figure out race.

I think we are evolving into a people that is clearly the human race not all these antiquated descriptions that separate us
The only enlightened answer to the question is the "human" race..... aint it great?
We all so obviously belong in the same family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or