U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,211,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Political or ethnicity term. In any way comparable to Latino, which people emphasize is not a race. The same can be said of Asian. We share a point.

What you don't seem to understand is that Latin America is like our own country, mostly immigrants from elsewhere within the past 1,000 years. The main difference between here and there is that the conquistadors from Spain mixed with the native Americans to create a new, large group of "Mestizos" although there are plenty of "oriental", "asian", "jewish" or whatever the hell you want to call them "Latinos" that get slapped with that political "racial" term. Also some Latin American countries are mostly white European like Argentina but if they come here they are considered "Hispanic". Sorry, it's not a race not even by definition of the census, let alone in realistic terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,635,533 times
African American is not a race either but still Americans will call every black person they see African American

Like someone said before there are three groups caucasoid, mongoloid, and negroid.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 PM

202 posts, read 947,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What you don't seem to understand is that Latin America is like our own country, mostly immigrants from elsewhere within the past 1,000 years. The main difference between here and there is that the conquistadors from Spain mixed with the native Americans to create a new, large group of "Mestizos" although there are plenty of "oriental", "asian", "jewish" or whatever the hell you want to call them "Latinos" that get slapped with that political "racial" term. Also some Latin American countries are mostly white European like Argentina but if they come here they are considered "Hispanic". Sorry, it's not a race not even by definition of the census, let alone in realistic terms.
I guess it goes back to who's anglo and who isn't.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,211,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
I guess it goes back to who's anglo and who isn't.
There are even "Anglo" "Hispanics" in Argentina and a few other "Latin" countries that come from Scottish, Welsh, or even English descent. There are only three races: caucasoid, mongolid, and negroid. Everything else is cultural/genetic variation. A very large amount people in Latin America come from all three much like in the US and from various cultures at that. That isn't common in the Old World. Realize that Latin America is part of the New World that was mostly unknown by the Old World until the 15th century just like the US, when many different peoples started migrating there, then bringing slaves, then people started immigrating there, etc. Yes, the majority ethnic background in Latin America is Mestizo just like our majority culture is "white" and most Mestizos are poor (which is why that's all we really see in America), which is why we think in America that all "Hispanics" are tan skinned and share similar physical characteristics. I happen to live in a rare community that is 40% "Hispanic" but these "Hispanics" actually come from different ethnic backgrounds ranging from "regular" Mestizos to mixed Black/Asian. Yes. Mixed black and Asian. See, Asian is a legitimate umbrella term because it's referring to an actual established part of the world! I probably would be just as ignorant to the cultures of Latin America and the meaning of the term "Hispanic" as the rest of you if I didn't live in a community like this.

Therefore, Latino isn't a race. Neither is Asian, but it's a much, much more viable umbrella term if there is such a thing.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-08-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM

985 posts, read 3,190,358 times
Default Is Asian a race?

I suppose compelled's point is that in Latin America there is a mix of everything.

I'm not sure about East Asia, but at least in Indonesia there is also a mix of everything, from "negroid" to "mongoloid" to "caucasoid". And I'm talking about native Indonesians. One just needs to visit Indonesia, and one can immediately notice it.
I suppose the same wide spectrum is also to be found in India and a couple of other countries which are categorized under the Asian race in the US.

I guess in East Asia the populations are generally much more uniform "racially". Someone who has lived there might give more information.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,417,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
African American is not a race either but still Americans will call every black person they see African American

Like someone said before there are three groups caucasoid, mongoloid, and negroid.
Umm, most Americans still use black. In fact most black Americans prefer to be called black as well. Are you from the US?

Last edited by yayoi; 06-09-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 PM

985 posts, read 3,190,358 times
Default "Asian" as a composite blob

Hi!

Something interesting about Canada's visible minorities.

Quote:
what’s considered a racial “minority” in the US is not necessarily considered one in Canada. For example, in Canada, we term Arabs/West Asians as “visible minority”; in the US, they’re “white.” In the US, native Americans are considered racial minority; in Canada, First Nations people are not, though they are counted in a separate census module. Finally and most interestingly (for me), whereas in the US they report “Asian” as a composite blob, in Canada we distinguish among South Asian, Chinese, Filipino/a, Southeast Asian, Korean, and Japanese.
"Asian" as a composite blob.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 PM

450 posts, read 1,020,600 times
I personally don't like how the US Census currently classfies people. There are so many inaccuracies.

Latinos are not a race. A Latino can be a blond haired, blue eyed ethnic German from Paraguay or could be a Mulatto (descendants of whites and blacks) from Cuba, could be a Mestizo (descendants of whites and Native Americans) from Mexico. Also, a Latino could even be an ethnic Japanese from Brazil or ethnic Italian from Argentina, a purely Spanish descendant from Costa Rica. I believe Latinos are classified based on if your ancestry came from Latin America.

The US Census generally considers Asians are those are who trace their lineage either to East Asia (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, sometimes Mongolia), Southeast Asia (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, may also includes those from Myanmar, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia). Sometimes also Filipinos, though there is some debate if Filipinos are Pacific Islanders;
Also includes South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi, etc.) (NOTE: anthropologist would consider South Asians as "Caucasians").

Interesting to note, that if you go to the UK and you say "Asian" people will tend to think of South Asians only. While I think in America, when you say "Asian" people conjure up images of mainly East Asians.

Technically speaking, Arabs, Israelis, Iranians, etc. should also be considered "Asians" since these people live in countries or come from countries in Asia, but the census considers them "white". While white supremacists would not consider an Arab, a Persian or an Israeli "white". To them whites are mainly European Caucasians. But, anthropologists would also consider Arabs, Persians, Indians, Afghans, Pakistanis as Caucasian (I would call them "Asian Caucasians") and whites are "European Caucasians."

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:46 PM

12 posts, read 58,505 times
If you live in the US, Asian is a race for checklist purposes. Filipinos are culturally different than you typical Zen Northeast Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean). Catholic, Protestant, and Muslim faiths operate freely in the Philippines. We are also a constitutional democracy modeled closely after the US Constitution. So yeah, there are distinct differences. I am sure South Asians and East Asians bristle at the fact they are lumped in with Filipinos by non-Asians. As do I.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 PM

52,636 posts, read 75,477,928 times
I would say it is an ethnicity, with various races that can be seen as Southern, Eastern/Central, and Southeast Asian, along with Filipino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or