U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM

469 posts, read 707,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Hell, Italians are "Latinos"! Romans, y'know?
IMO central Italians are the truest Latino race and culture that there is (that's where Rome began). Hispanics are Latinos to a much lesser extent. The Hispanic name comes from the ancient name of Sevilla, Spain, known as Hispalis to the Romans. Most of the Spanish Immigrants embarked from Sevilla to the New World hence the word Hispanic. The Latino denomination has a very broad definition. Take a look at all the languages derived from Latin: Spanish, Italian, Romanian, French, Portuguese. So IMO, Hispanic is a more appropriate definition instead of "Latinos".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 PM

8,045 posts, read 7,884,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
IMO central Italians are the truest Latino race and culture that there is (that's where Rome began). Hispanics are Latinos to a much lesser extent. The Hispanic name comes from the ancient name of Sevilla, Spain, known as Hispalis to the Romans. Most of the Spanish Immigrants embarked from Sevilla to the New World hence the word Hispanic. The Latino denomination has a very broad definition. Take a look at all the languages derived from Latin: Spanish, Italian, Romanian, French, Portuguese. So IMO, Hispanic is a more appropriate definition instead of "Latinos".
Thank you for this. I never knew of the origin of "Hispanic". When I refer to the cultures in general I always use Hispanic, never Latinos (because it never sounded accurate to me).

But I'm funny about what we call our Indians, too. I refuse to use "Native American". I'm a native American, but of 100% European background. So I say "Native Indian" instead. Don't you think that sounds more accurate?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM

985 posts, read 2,318,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
These people are clearly of the black race. They are not the same "race" as Koreans, They only share the same Asian geographical location as Koreans. Thus, the appropriate name for these individuals would be black Asians.
The problem is, in many Asian countries, you can't draw boundaries between the races (btw, how many "races" do you think exist?). You just need to visit Asian countries to see for yourself. In some countries it's less obvious, but try to visit Indonesia and you'll see that some look black, others asian, others white, most are "undefinable". One thing for sure: you don't see any boundaries between those "races". Same thing in the Indian subcontinent, Central Asia and western China, Iran, etc.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM

7,586 posts, read 4,829,000 times
Don' forger that Asia is a huge continent. Its people are not only the "orientals"
From Asia Minor of Turkey, to the Suez Canal and Saudi Arabia, the Ural Mnts, Siberia, Japan and Indonesia its ALL ASIA.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
The Italians have lots of Greek blood also.
Syracuse in Sicily before Rome had a population of over 200,000. Those people did not just disappear. Furtermore, many greek colonies existed on the coasts of Italy
Do not forget also the those spanish that came to the new world were a mixed people to begin with.
The Visigoths, Celts, Romans, Greeks and the Moors(Arabs) are some of the people that settled on the Iberian penninsula
Consenquently, the hispanics of the Americas are even more mixed

Last edited by WildWestDude; 11-04-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,623,318 times
Quote:
Wrong. The Hispanic names comes from Spain, known as Hispania to the Romans.

Agree with your main point, though.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post

Hispania comes from the ancient greek naming of that area.
"Eis pan gia" which meant at the "end of the earth" for that time. Hispania down the centuries was watered down to Spain.

a bit more interesting info:

Nippon the word for Japan in japanese has a similar root as Spain.
Its origins is from the greek "apo anatoli" or "from the east".
Also, Istabul is from the greek "eis tin poli" or "to The City".

Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM

469 posts, read 707,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post

I agree that the general area of what is now spain was called Hispania by the Romans. But the ancient name for Sevilla was Hispalis.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 664 times
i had this same question. what is the point of making latino not a race but making asian a race. when isn't the point of a race to determine where someone came from. read the census definitions and you'll see that it talks about descent. but asian simply means your from asia. im from america is my race american? no so why then is asain a race and latino not. if it comes down to color of people why don't they do that. according to anthropology there is no such thing as race so why does it even matter. shouldn't it all just be based on your descent?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,314,889 times
Latino is not a race so much as a group of related cultures and ethnicities. When I hear "Asian" I think of East Asians and SE Asians, not so much Indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.