U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather have Palm trees in your region where you live, or having snow and winter?
Snow in the winter - Don't care about having Palm trees where I live 129 51.19%
Palm trees of course! 123 48.81%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times

Advertisements

Snow.
I spent a Christmas in San Diego once...Could not wrap my mind around the idea that it was December, let alone holiday season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM

74 posts, read 117,070 times
I live in North Texas, which is as far north as any palm tree can grow (there are a few hardy palms here), and which occasionally sees snow. I used to live in South Florida, which is practically tropical, but I like the change of seasons here, and don't mind the occasional cold spells, especially since they usually don't last more than a couple of days. Being near the southern end of the winter weather belt, North Texas tends to experience more ice and sleet storms than snow. I don't like ice storms, but then who does, but I can take the snow, as long as it is no more than three or four inches and gone by the next day, which here it usually is. As for the summers, it is a different story since Texas has a reputation for long, hot summers.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM

4,987 posts, read 7,303,015 times
Christmas in south Florida is awesome. One can have christmas dinner outside by the pool under the palms and enjoy coming and going inside and outside.....more of a laid-back party atmosphere, vs. the sweaters and coats of the colder regions of the US. ...where we sit around fireplace and drink nog, ugh.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Christmas in south Florida is awesome. One can have christmas dinner outside by the pool under the palms and enjoy coming and going inside and outside.....more of a laid-back party atmosphere, vs. the sweaters and coats of the colder regions of the US. ...where we sit around fireplace and drink nog, ugh.
True enough! I especially like the anticipation of waiting for Santa's arrival on his sleigh being pulled by a hundred flying cockroaches.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Umm...neither?

Seriously, I have lived my entire life in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes region and I am sick to death of snow. However, we did spend the summer a couple of years ago in Phoenix, AZ, and I learned very quickly that palm trees are not all that either. There were days in Phoenix when it was 115+ degrees and I would have sold my soul for a big, old Ohio maple tree to rest under the shade of. Palm trees look pretty and exotic at first, but they give off zero shade and tend to shed, both their bark and their fronds. I was also told by various Phoenix locals that the nooks and crannies in the trunks of the palm trees there (probably different than the types of palms in Florida which seem to have smooth trunks) are perfect hiding places for scorpions and poisonous spiders. Good times...

Old 02-18-2013, 03:07 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,095,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDM View Post
I live in North Texas, which is as far north as any palm tree can grow (there are a few hardy palms here), and which occasionally sees snow. I used to live in South Florida, which is practically tropical, but I like the change of seasons here, and don't mind the occasional cold spells, especially since they usually don't last more than a couple of days. Being near the southern end of the winter weather belt, North Texas tends to experience more ice and sleet storms than snow. I don't like ice storms, but then who does, but I can take the snow, as long as it is no more than three or four inches and gone by the next day, which here it usually is. As for the summers, it is a different story since Texas has a reputation for long, hot summers.
There are several species of palms out there that can withstand temperatures in the single digits & lower...some below 0 degrees.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM

778 posts, read 827,017 times
Palm trees.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,332,414 times
I'd rather have snow! I hate the heat!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,136,278 times
Palm trees. I hate cold weather. I have arthritis and the older I get, the worse it makes me feel. I'm in Los Angeles - I can drive less than 2 hours and be in the snow in the San Bernardino Mountains. The novelty of cold and snow wears off pretty quick.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM

154 posts, read 170,303 times
Snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.