U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What city would you pick?
NYC 17 20.24%
San Fransisco 10 11.90%
L.A 8 9.52%
Chicago 6 7.14%
Boston 7 8.33%
Miami 4 4.76%
Atlanta 2 2.38%
San Diego 11 13.10%
Other (specify) 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2008, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,536,192 times
Reputation: 1599

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
no no, you were
And I had to add to me because you're telling me that they are world class as if it is fact, not like it is you're opinion. So i suggest you say to me instead of being rude i guess indirectly by not stating that.
I was not being rude. You just got offended.
If there was one definition of a world class city it might fall under the category of fact, but there are many definitions and therefore it falls under opinion. If it's not fact, it's opinion. Simple as that. Don't let someones opinions ruin your day, or else you're gonna have a lot of bad days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Earth
539 posts, read 1,887,946 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
If you took Miami, SD and Atlanta off and added Houston, Philly, Dallas and DC then you would have all the world cities in the US on this poll! That being said, I chose Boston from the list because of the history, vibrancy and sense of community I felt during my several visits there. Nothing beats beacon Hill or a walk in the common!
I can understand removing Miami but Atlanta? Atlanta is the biggest transportation hub in the United States. That is just one positive aspect amongst many. IMHO I would never add Dallas or Houston but yes to DC and Philly. I also chose Boston as my pick, it is one of the most historic cities in our country. It has charm, fine restaurants, excellent shopping, wonderful arts and entertainment, diversity and is home to several of our countries best universities. Not to mention the best darned baseball team in the country,
GO SOX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,244,007 times
Reputation: 3352
My list, in no particular order:
1. Chicago, IL
2. New York, NY
3. Atlanta/Decatur, GA
4. Houston, TX
5. Fort Worth, TX
6. Austin, TX
7. San Antonio, TX
8. Seattle, WA
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Oklahoma City, OK
11. Tulsa, OK
12. Honolulu, HI
13. San Diego, CA
14. Not really a town, but Oxford, MS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 06:58 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,127,937 times
Reputation: 15357
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
$ no object? either Carmel or Monterey, California... followed by Baltimore (Go Os!)
LOL can't imagine putting Baltimore right under Carmel on your list...way bizarre...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,463,900 times
Reputation: 1947
GaWC World Cities / Emporis Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I can understand removing Miami but Atlanta? Atlanta is the biggest transportation hub in the United States. That is just one positive aspect amongst many. IMHO I would never add Dallas or Houston but yes to DC and Philly.
That's odd, coming from someone in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
 
1,968 posts, read 4,632,314 times
Reputation: 1412
Default Where is this place???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
Well I live in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation in terms of diversity and multiculturalism. And it's not fun being one of the few pale faces around. The hateful, "I'm gonna fight you glares" is too much. And then there's all the gang bangers, grafitti, rapes, drugs, thugs and cop killers. Then packs of 20 gang banger wannabes in training who jump people and rob stores. Ugh. Bad place. So I'd want to live in an all white city. Not sure which one though.
Where is this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,336,643 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I was not being rude. You just got offended.
If there was one definition of a world class city it might fall under the category of fact, but there are many definitions and therefore it falls under opinion. If it's not fact, it's opinion. Simple as that. Don't let someones opinions ruin your day, or else you're gonna have a lot of bad days.
oh no, don't worry about it, you were being rude and pushy
What you just explained is exactly what i was saying. But you didn't state it as an opinion you said it like fact. Just say "I disagree, i think they are world class" Instead of "Well, they are." get the difference. Oh well this is o/t sorry guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
 
1,965 posts, read 5,794,159 times
Reputation: 1273
I'd live in San Diego where I live. Of course, in an ideal world I'd have second homes in either Tahoe/Colorado/Utah for skiing/hiking and in Hawaii for when it dips below a high of 65 in Sand Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,536,192 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
oh no, don't worry about it, you were being rude and pushy
What you just explained is exactly what i was saying. But you didn't state it as an opinion you said it like fact. Just say "I disagree, i think they are world class" Instead of "Well, they are." get the difference. Oh well this is o/t sorry guys

whether someone is rude or pushy is subjective too. it's really not my fault you got your feelings hurt when I stated something as my opinion. use common sense. if its a fact, i would have provided some kind of evidence. you know it's not a fact, it's an opinion, just like everyone elses on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,336,643 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
whether someone is rude or pushy is subjective too. it's really not my fault you got your feelings hurt when I stated something as my opinion. use common sense. if its a fact, i would have provided some kind of evidence. you know it's not a fact, it's an opinion, just like everyone elses on here.
Immaturity to the max. Bye now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top