U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Reputation: 1195

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yeah, a lot of people don't take criticism of any sort very well. When someone says something negative about Connecticut or Hartford, I usually just ignore it unless they are posting something that is not factual in nature and it then needs to be corrected. But if its an opinion, the so be it. Let it ride.
Yeah, like if somebody calls Pittsburgh a polluted, industrial hellhole, then I have to set them straight and remind them it's not 1955 any more.

RE: what you said to me privately about KC, I've only passed through, but I like fountains so it can't be all bad. Almost every city has a few things going for it. I've had lots of fun in L.A. and even stayed with a friend for a couple weeks, but I could never imagine living there. Some cities are almost all hype though (I won't mention any names...well OK, Charlotte comes to mind, and its big sister further south) and practically no soul. They like to brag about how many banks have their headquarters there, and I'm simply not impressed by things like that. I like to walk around and take in the atmosphere and it's just about impossible in some cities. Oh well, I guess the economy needs its engines and the worker bees that fuel the engines need their big box stores and Starbucks. To each their own, of course. You better believe I'm going to talk about it here, though. That's what these forums are for. Some people are better suited to gaze at their Myspace profiles, far away from opinions that differ from theirs in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Omaha
1,137 posts, read 2,050,898 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Why do you get bent out of shape over nothing? All these posts of yours are proving, if you are indeed a typical representation of Omaha's citizens, is just how insecure the residents of your region really are.

I come from the Hartford area and our city has always lived in the shadow of New York City and Boston. I can recall when the Whalers and Bruins had a pretty good rivalry going in the old Adams Division of the NHL and the Bruins players would constantly state there was no rivalry between these two teams. Of course there was but the Bruins hated to admit it because the Whalers were the upstart and a smaller market.

People in Hartford and most of Connecticut don't care about what the rest of this country or what other people think about the place. The city has its good points and bad just like any other place. At one time it was the 4th largest financial center in the country thanks to all the insurance company and banking headquarters in the city. It still is a financial powerhouse! But people didn't and don't walk around claiming it to be a world class city or something else it is not. We are content in knowing who and what we are and don't attempt to artificially inflate our own sense of self worth over the perception of our region by the rest of the country. This does appear to be the case with you and a couple of other people on the subject of Omaha.

Omaha does not have a single major league team. The Omaha Royals should be named Team Sominex. The zoo is decent but hardly world class. It's home to Warren Buffett and a handful of Fortune 500 companies and little else of note. The College World Series is neat though.

In your eyes perhaps Omaha is a world class city but please don't expect the rest of America to buy into this unhealthy preoccupation i.e. fantasy. Someday Omaha may become a real entertainment destination and a center of business and finance but right now it is simply an average regional metro area that is still on the smallish size in population and lacking the necessary components to make it a truly world class destination. Right now it is still a sleepy little hamlet in its formative years and has some growing up to do.
I gotta say, that's pretty flawed. I haven't heard anyone who has been to the zoo compare it to anything short of San Diego, You completely ignore the Qwest Center and our Old Market district, and also ignore my point about Kiplingers rating us #3 in the country. I hear LOADS of people who have been here who loved it, and those who say otherwise are shouted down by the other visitors. (for example, a writer with the Las Vegas Sun wrote a scathing review of Omaha when we hosted some games in March Madness, yet every one of several reader comments shouted down the idea that the area was anything short of a great place to visit.) Omaha was a sleepy hamlet, for decades and decades, but that's changing and I'm determined to rid people of the Nebraska stereotype.

a quote from USA Today in 2005:

"It ranks eighth among the nation's 50 largest cities in both per-capita billionaires and Fortune 500 companies. No coastal city can claim a ranking as high as Omaha on both lists. Not San Francisco. Not Los Angeles nor New York nor Houston."
this debunks your idea we only have a "handful" of fortune 500 companies.

are we gonna win every contest? Of course not, but we should not be ignored simply because there are fewer of us and we aren't packed in like sardines.

on your point of the "no major leauge team": We have the College World Series, it's our hometown team. We thrive on being the best possible city to host it and it wouldn't be possible in a city that is already preoccupied with it's own teams. People like coming here and feeling more important than they do in a bigger place.



How would you feel if for some odd reason, New York was dormant for as long as any of it's citizens had been alive, and suddely things started changing? Wouldn't you want the world to know? That's where I'm coming from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 PM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Reputation: 2470
Pittsburgh is turning into a very nice city. I've visited several times in recent years and I can't really find too many negative things to say about it other than perhaps the roads are in a state of disrepair in many places.

KC is a good place to visit but not to live. They prefer people that walk, talk, think, look and act like they do over people like me. :-) And they also prefer people that don't hail from east of St. Louis....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Reputation: 1195
Default History Lesson

Here's how it went down:

LovinDecatur
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
973 posts, read 155,906 times
Reputation: 94



Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc
Atlanta will continue to be a great place to do business and a horrible place to live. I'd rather live in Mexico City than Atlanta.

What do you know about living here? Most people I know in Atlanta enjoy it, despite what the malcontents in this forum would have you believe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
so I says, (paraphrased) "I lived there for 2 years, I didn't like it at all, except the food" and then that person confused me with someone else and said (also paraphrased) "you must like chains, 'cause you said that's all we have".

The rest has been alternating between my trying to placate this person with the few good things I can think of to say about the place and that person attacking me, in an absolutely witless manner. I sure do love message boards. I take a few years off, come back, get sick of the children, take a few years off, and always end up coming back. It's a vicious cycle!



Back on topic: Atlanta, GA has possibly the brightest future of any U.S., nay, WORLD city in the 21st century and beyond! If advanced space aliens came down and gave us a residential and shopping Utopia, it would look a lot like Buckhead. The neighborhoods linking the trendy, gentrified areas remind me of Mogadishu before it got nice, but progress does take awhile. You should see the suburbs! You could eat off of the sidewalks, if there were any. You've probably heard it before, and you'll no doubt hear it again: the Olympics were held there! A park was built that was so f'n grand, they had to completely redo it ten years later, probably because of all the use it got. For the full experience, I recommend living inside the "Perimeter" 'cause that's where all the action is. I used to see limos ALL THE TIME. I don't expect anyone to believe me, but Elton JOHN even lives there. In Buckhead, naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Pittsburgh is turning into a very nice city. I've visited several times in recent years and I can't really find too many negative things to say about it other than perhaps the roads are in a state of disrepair in many places.

KC is a good place to visit but not to live. They prefer people that walk, talk, think, look and act like they do over people like me. :-) And they also prefer people that don't hail from east of St. Louis....

I HEAR you....I bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone. The roads here are HORRIBLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 10:02 PM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
I gotta say, that's pretty flawed. I haven't heard anyone who has been to the zoo compare it to anything short of San Diego, You completely ignore the Qwest Center and our Old Market district, and also ignore my point about Kiplingers rating us #3 in the country. I hear LOADS of people who have been here who loved it, and those who say otherwise are shouted down by the other visitors. (for example, a writer with the Las Vegas Sun wrote a scathing review of Omaha when we hosted some games in March Madness, yet every one of several reader comments shouted down the idea that the area was anything short of a great place to visit.) Omaha was a sleepy hamlet, for decades and decades, but that's changing and I'm determined to rid people of the Nebraska stereotype.

a quote from USA Today in 2005:

"It ranks eighth among the nation's 50 largest cities in both per-capita billionaires and Fortune 500 companies. No coastal city can claim a ranking as high as Omaha on both lists. Not San Francisco. Not Los Angeles nor New York nor Houston."
this debunks your idea we only have a "handful" of fortune 500 companies.

are we gonna win every contest? Of course not, but we should not be ignored simply because there are fewer of us and we aren't packed in like sardines.

on your point of the "no major leauge team": We have the College World Series, it's our hometown team. We thrive on being the best possible city to host it and it wouldn't be possible in a city that is already preoccupied with it's own teams. People like coming here and feeling more important than they do in a bigger place.



How would you feel if for some odd reason, New York was dormant for as long as any of it's citizens had been alive, and suddely things started changing? Wouldn't you want the world to know? That's where I'm coming from here.
Omaha only has a handful of Fortune 1000 companies, 8 to be exact. All I am saying is that Omaha is nothing special and out of the ordinary. It looks like any other midwestern city and has the same the kind of entertainment facilities and attractions that you'd find in any other similarly sized metro area. True destinations offer facilities that are usually unrivaled, unduplicated to other areas or stand out as being at the top of their class
by offering the very best of an attraction that can be found elsewhere. Examples: Sears Tower in Chicago. Faneuil Hall in Boston. Lady Liberty in New York City etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Reputation: 1195
I've had enough of the Omaha bashing around here. It seems like a pleasant enough place. There are lots of trees and musically, it was the Next Seattle a couple of years ago. Let's bash places that deserve it, like the original Seattle! I learned to love the greyness, but the smugness eventually sent me packing. Can you believe, they actually have a rivalry with AUSTIN? The one in Texas. Their mayors argued publicly about which one was the real live music capital of the world, as if they've never even heard of New York or London or goddamn MEMPHIS. I've never been to Austin, but it smells awfully trendy and upscale to me, and I'd much rather see San Antonio or even Houston first. Unfortunately, I've only ever been through the panhandle, and I wasn't too impressed with Amarillo. Every city I bash takes me a little farther from Atlanta. This is so liberating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,461,492 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I've had enough of the Omaha bashing around here. It seems like a pleasant enough place. There are lots of trees and musically, it was the Next Seattle a couple of years ago. Let's bash places that deserve it, like the original Seattle! I learned to love the greyness, but the smugness eventually sent me packing. Can you believe, they actually have a rivalry with AUSTIN? The one in Texas. Their mayors argued publicly about which one was the real live music capital of the world, as if they've never even heard of New York or London or goddamn MEMPHIS. I've never been to Austin, but it smells awfully trendy and upscale to me, and I'd much rather see San Antonio or even Houston first. Unfortunately, I've only ever been through the panhandle, and I wasn't too impressed with Amarillo. Every city I bash takes me a little farther from Atlanta. This is so liberating!

you wernt too impressed with Amarillo but to me its a nice small city and one of the places I would like to relocate to when I do decide to move.Some cities just arnt for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I've had enough of the Omaha bashing around here. It seems like a pleasant enough place. There are lots of trees and musically, it was the Next Seattle a couple of years ago. Let's bash places that deserve it, like the original Seattle! I learned to love the greyness, but the smugness eventually sent me packing. Can you believe, they actually have a rivalry with AUSTIN? The one in Texas. Their mayors argued publicly about which one was the real live music capital of the world, as if they've never even heard of New York or London or goddamn MEMPHIS. I've never been to Austin, but it smells awfully trendy and upscale to me, and I'd much rather see San Antonio or even Houston first. Unfortunately, I've only ever been through the panhandle, and I wasn't too impressed with Amarillo. Every city I bash takes me a little farther from Atlanta. This is so liberating!
Well, I for one have NOT had enough of the Omaha bashing. I think we need more of it.

I'm not bashing the place at all. I lived there for a while and I know what its about. But I do see some people cannot put the place into the proper perspective when promoting it and are attempting to make it into the next Utopia or worse, into something it has NOT YET achieved. And it appears to be well beyond simple optimism. I also see this same attitude displayed by people in Kansas City. It's tantamount to Edith Bunker claiming she's a Beauty Queen!

This forum seems to be a place where others are entitled to voice their opinions and state facts about topics of this nature. You don't like it when someone says something negative about Pittsburgh but then in the next breath you willingly take shots at a city like Atlanta and expect others to listen. I'd call that a double standard. I don't have a problem with either Pittsburgh or Atlanta but I can see why others do. If you believe you are entitled to your opinion about Atlanta then others are entitled to their opinions about various other cities as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 AM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Well, I for one have NOT had enough of the Omaha bashing. I think we need more of it.

I'm not bashing the place at all. I lived there for a while and I know what its about. But I do see some people cannot put the place into the proper perspective when promoting it and are attempting to make it into the next Utopia or worse, into something it has NOT YET achieved. And it appears to be well beyond simple optimism. I also see this same attitude displayed by people in Kansas City. It's tantamount to Edith Bunker claiming she's a Beauty Queen!

This forum seems to be a place where others are entitled to voice their opinions and state facts about topics of this nature. You don't like it when someone says something negative about Pittsburgh but then in the next breath you willingly take shots at a city like Atlanta and expect others to listen. I'd call that a double standard. I don't have a problem with either Pittsburgh or Atlanta but I can see why others do. If you believe you are entitled to your opinion about Atlanta then others are entitled to their opinions about various other cities as well.
No, I really don't mind when someone says something negative about Pittsburgh. It happens all the time. It bothers me when it's someone who's obviously never been here. I fully support bashing cities one is familiar with. That being said, I'd like to retract my statement about Amarillo. I never even got off the exit, so I'm not qualified to judge. I don't think I practice a double standard, but I should try to live up to my own standards.

Out of the hundreds of significant cities in the U.S., I have a problem with 2 of them. That's not so bad, is it? I used to hate Richmond, VA, but I've made my peace with it after 3 decades. Maybe the same could happen with Atlanta and Seattle. It's just that people in certain places tend to be arrogant and look down their noses at everywhere else, especially the cities in "flyover country". I'm here more to defend cities than bash them.

Has anybody ever been to Missoula, MT? Now that's a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top