U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,819,780 times

Advertisements

Omaha is being reckognized nationally as one of the top US cities by practically every ranking organization, and in the top 10 in most..

I've lived in a few of the popular 'top cities' and Omaha can easily be compared to them, minus a mountain/ocean or NFL/NBA presence, unless your a college sports fan, then Omaha is near the top in that category.

But if not having an NFL team or a mountain/ocean disqualifies a city from being a great city, then by all means start a great city with an NFL team thread then.. You get my drift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
It's nice to see that some experts are calling Omaha one of the top cities in the country. I'd say it is up and coming and has a decent future. But utilizing various criteria to determine how inhabitable a community is, is still a very subjective argument. It seems the experts are focusing more on the financial aspects than perhaps the over all quality of life. Kiplingers? A money magazine that is going to be biased and focuses on issues of personal finance. It's a nice small city with an apparently bright future ahead of it. But let's remain objective and see Omaha for what it is and what it is not.

If I started to claim that Hartford is a world class city or the next great thing since sliced bread I'd receive a healthy dose of skepticism from a lot of people on this board. I could go on about the Wadsworth Atheneum, Colonial Architecture, Number of buildings on the National Historical Register, proximity to the ocean and mountains and outdoor recreation, high brow suburban communities (Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury) that are more affordable versions of what you find in Fairfield County, great public and private schools, The Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford Stage, The Connecticut Science Center, the world's largest Colonial style building, the world's first two sided building, excellent restaurants, 7 Fortune 1000 companies HQ'd in the metro area and 26 in the state of Connecticut, a major financial center and still the Insurance Capital of the world and a new convention center and hotel complex complete with shopping and eating establishments. I could go on with more but I think you get the idea.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 AM

11,890 posts, read 32,933,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It's nice to see that some experts are calling Omaha one of the top cities in the country. I'd say it is up and coming and has a decent future. But utilizing various criteria to determine how inhabitable a community is, is still a very subjective argument. It seems the experts are focusing more on the financial aspects than perhaps the over all quality of life. Kiplingers? A money magazine that is going to be biased and focuses on issues of personal finance. It's a nice small city with an apparently bright future ahead of it. But let's remain objective and see Omaha for what it is and what it is not.

If I started to claim that Hartford is a world class city or the next great thing since sliced bread I'd receive a healthy dose of skepticism from a lot of people on this board. I could go on about the Wadsworth Atheneum, Colonial Architecture, Number of buildings on the National Historical Register, proximity to the ocean and mountains and outdoor recreation, high brow suburban communities (Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury) that are more affordable versions of what you find in Fairfield County, great public and private schools, The Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford Stage, The Connecticut Science Center, the world's largest Colonial style building, the world's first two sided building, excellent restaurants, 7 Fortune 1000 companies HQ'd in the metro area and 26 in the state of Connecticut, a major financial center and still the Insurance Capital of the world and a new convention center and hotel complex complete with shopping and eating establishments. I could go on with more but I think you get the idea.
Wow, it's hard to believe that there might be cities in this country better than Omaha based on what we read in this forum, but it looks like Hartford might be able to give Omaha a run for its money...

Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Holy crap! Hartford sounds great. Too bad they lost their NHL team. It's always tragic when a Northern city loses their HOCKEY team to some Sun Belt upstart.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 AM

I've been working on a new list of the ten US cities with the brightest future.

In no order:

Jim Thorpe-Intercourse-Blueball, PA
Cle Elum, WA
Kalamazoo, MI
Walla Walla, WA
Paducah, KY
Chattanooga, TN
Eau Claire, WI
Newport News, VA
Kissimmee, FL
Santa Claus, IN

Now, I know that Jim Thorpe isn't really near the Intercourse-Blueball metroplex, but given the rate of growth over there, it's just a matter of time.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 AM

I should also add the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, Mark Twain Home and Museum and Nathan Hale Homestead are in the Hartford area.

Hartford would probably get more recognition if it was more than 100 miles from Boston and 130 miles from New York City. And yes, I suspect Hartford can give Omaha and many other metro areas of similar size (under 1.5 million) a run for their money when judging the merits of livability.

Losing the hockey team was a real psychological blow for the region. The new owner was and is a first class jerk. The Whalers were drawing well in Hartford despite not being a playoff team at the time and the city and state were going to build a state of the art 18,000 seat arena to keep the team there. Moving the team from the 27th TV market in hockey country into a much smaller and unproven market in North Carolina did not seem to be all that prudent. But things did work out because there are a lot of northeast transplants in North Carolina and it gave them a base of potential fans at the get go. There is a movement to return the NHL to the city and it should happen once Gary Betteman is out as Commissioner.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I've been working on a new list of the ten US cities with the brightest future.

In no order:

Jim Thorpe-Intercourse-Blueball, PA
Cle Elum, WA
Kalamazoo, MI
Walla Walla, WA
Paducah, KY
Chattanooga, TN
Eau Claire, WI
Newport News, VA
Kissimmee, FL
Santa Claus, IN

Now, I know that Jim Thorpe isn't really near the Intercourse-Blueball metroplex, but given the rate of growth over there, it's just a matter of time.
You beat me to the punch. Literally, I was going to compose a similar list of communities that have tremendous potential.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 AM

I keep getting pissy messages from people in Santa Claus. I would like to state publicly that Holiday World is projected to add a new ride for 2009 and the post office is hiring more seasonal workers in November, so the job market there is exploding.

also Joe from Truth Or Consequences, NM says they at least deserve an honorable mention.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,898 times
you can't say you know what Omaha's like in a negative sense if you haven't been here within the last five years. It has changed dramatically.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,882,679 times
Las Vegas has a bright future that is if they can keep the water flowing.

Something was said about the next qualifying cities for the Olympics of 2016. These are the final four announced this month:

Chicago
Madrid
Rio De Janeiro
Tokyo

My guess is that if Rio doesn't get it, since the Games have never been in S America, Chicago will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or