U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,708,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Why do you get bent out of shape over nothing? All these posts of yours are proving, if you are indeed a typical representation of Omaha's citizens, is just how insecure the residents of your region really are.

I come from the Hartford area and our city has always lived in the shadow of New York City and Boston. I can recall when the Whalers and Bruins had a pretty good rivalry going in the old Adams Division of the NHL and the Bruins players would constantly state there was no rivalry between these two teams. Of course there was but the Bruins hated to admit it because the Whalers were the upstart and a smaller market.

People in Hartford and most of Connecticut don't care about what the rest of this country or what other people think about the place. The city has its good points and bad just like any other place. At one time it was the 4th largest financial center in the country thanks to all the insurance company and banking headquarters in the city. It still is a financial powerhouse! But people didn't and don't walk around claiming it to be a world class city or something else it is not. We are content in knowing who and what we are and don't attempt to artificially inflate our own sense of self worth over the perception of our region by the rest of the country. This does appear to be the case with you and a couple of other people on the subject of Omaha.

Omaha does not have a single major league team. The Omaha Royals should be named Team Sominex. The zoo is decent but hardly world class. It's home to Warren Buffett and a handful of Fortune 500 companies and little else of note. The College World Series is neat though.

In your eyes perhaps Omaha is a world class city but please don't expect the rest of America to buy into this unhealthy preoccupation i.e. fantasy. Someday Omaha may become a real entertainment destination and a center of business and finance but right now it is simply an average regional metro area that is still on the smallish size in population and lacking the necessary components to make it a truly world class destination. Right now it is still a sleepy little hamlet in its formative years and has some growing up to do.
Ok, you did it, its list time!

1. We have the tallest building between Chicago and Denver and Tulsa and Minneapolis, One First National Center (First National Bank Tower)
http://www.fmsp.com/images/port_OT_FirstNational.jpg (broken link)
2. We were ranked the third best city to live by Kiplinger's Magazine

3. Our Downtown is in the middle of a Renaissance of growth and revitalization

4. Our economy is growing with a lot of high paying jobs coming here

5. We are getting tons of Condos, such as Wallstreet Tower, a 373 ft tower and Riverfront place, two twin condo towers on the Missouri River

http://www.downtownomahaliving.com/assets/properties/DLT08_wallstreet.jpg (broken link)
Wallstreet Tower
http://www.omaha.com/neo-images/photos/large/102207kcriverfrontplace.jpg (broken link)
Riverfront Place
6. The Qwest Center, our convention center, attracts tons of good acts and is ranked 10th in the nation for ticket sales

Qwest Center

7. We have a large and successful music scene, including Saddle Creek records

8. We are on of twenty cities to have 5 or more fortune 500 companies headquartered here, Berkshire Hathaway, Union Pacific, Conagra, Peter Kiewit, and Mutual of Omaha.

9. The richest man in the World lives here, Warren Buffet, owner of Berkshire Hathaway

10. We are building a landmark pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River

11. Gallup, a significant, world renowned and reliable poll company, has their headquarters here

12. Our zoo, Henry Doorly Zoo, is one of the best in the Country and the World and is going though a massive expansion, including adding a large polar area, a Madagascar exhibit, a new Elephant exhibit which we will get a herd of 12 for, potentially a panda exhibit, and a ski-lift like thing that will go across the zoo. They also recently opened a butterfly exhibit with dozens of different types of rare butterflies flying around you and they actually land on you (its also nearly impossible to step on them unless you had the intention to.)

13. We are home to the College World Series, which we are getting a new stadium for.

14. Mutual of Omaha is building a massive Condo/commercial complex called Midtown crossing

15. Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwards) Village, a mixed use complex, is being built in midtown

And those are just the Huge projects, there are tons of other projects going on here also and some that would be huge but are just rumors right now. I don't even know all of them, check the Omaha forum if you want more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,327,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Why do you get bent out of shape over nothing? All these posts of yours are proving, if you are indeed a typical representation of Omaha's citizens, is just how insecure the residents of your region really are.

I come from the Hartford area and our city has always lived in the shadow of New York City and Boston. I can recall when the Whalers and Bruins had a pretty good rivalry going in the old Adams Division of the NHL and the Bruins players would constantly state there was no rivalry between these two teams. Of course there was but the Bruins hated to admit it because the Whalers were the upstart and a smaller market.

People in Hartford and most of Connecticut don't care about what the rest of this country or what other people think about the place. The city has its good points and bad just like any other place. At one time it was the 4th largest financial center in the country thanks to all the insurance company and banking headquarters in the city. It still is a financial powerhouse! But people didn't and don't walk around claiming it to be a world class city or something else it is not. We are content in knowing who and what we are and don't attempt to artificially inflate our own sense of self worth over the perception of our region by the rest of the country. This does appear to be the case with you and a couple of other people on the subject of Omaha.

Omaha does not have a single major league team. The Omaha Royals should be named Team Sominex. The zoo is decent but hardly world class. It's home to Warren Buffett and a handful of Fortune 500 companies and little else of note. The College World Series is neat though.

In your eyes perhaps Omaha is a world class city but please don't expect the rest of America to buy into this unhealthy preoccupation i.e. fantasy. Someday Omaha may become a real entertainment destination and a center of business and finance but right now it is simply an average regional metro area that is still on the smallish size in population and lacking the necessary components to make it a truly world class destination. Right now it is still a sleepy little hamlet in its formative years and has some growing up to do.
BEAUTIFUL post.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Grow up. Hartford also has the International Skating Center of Connecticut in my hometown of Simsbury where many international olympic skating stars have lived and trained. The Bradley International Airport is a growing airport that now has daily flights to Europe.

So there. Naya, naya, naya. Take that...

Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Oh yeah, to reinforce what I am saying.

When the Whalers used to play the New York Rangers, their fans used to knock us for playing in the Civic Center which also had a shopping mall attached. The Rangers fans would literally chant, "You play in a shopping mall" to our fans. The first time I heard that I laughed my ass off! Literally.

A couple of weeks ago during the NHL Stanley Cup Championships I heard Bob Neumeier (former Whalers radio play by play guy) of NBC TV mention something to Ron Francis and Mike Milbury about the old rivalry between the two teams. Milbury went on and on about there never being a rivalry while Ron Francis simply kept quiet and didn't say a thing. Milbury then went on to way that Ron Francis was a "class act" for not mixing it up with him on the subject. I just chuckled about it and thought it was amusing that Milbury to this day still cannot admit they had a pretty decent grudge against the Whalers whenever they played.

Am I getting through to you Go NE?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,461,492 times
Go NE-having the tallest building between some cities does nothing for a city

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,400,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Tourism.

And it's always neat to be able to say that your town has this and another one doesn't.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 PM

11,893 posts, read 32,933,878 times
Quote:
Well, when the rest of the city is so blah and ordinary...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Tourism.

And it's always neat to be able to say that your town has this and another one doesn't.

tourism? I dont know what person would book a trip to Omaha to look at a skyscraper or any city really besides New York and Chicago.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:10 AM

I'll say Albuquerque, we got a good outlook atleast and great weather, except last night when we got out of the Tim McGraw concert we got hit with a big dust storm and had to walk a long ways with sand blowing in our face.

actually many cities have a good future ahead of them from what Ive heard and seen, places in Kentucky, N.Tennessee areas,Idaho,Colorado Springs,NC,SC,Alabama, and so many others, everyone deserves some props.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:28 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,400,657 times
Quote:
tourism? I dont know what person would book a trip to Omaha to look at a skyscraper or any city really besides New York and Chicago.
Me.

Not for one building, it would have to be mighty impressive. I would go to see a skyline or just to see around a city for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or