U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,007,893 times

Advertisements

You know the obvious choice is Houston, soon its public transportation system will rivel Chicago's. The booming vibrant downtown will make New York's look dead. Its world class shopping will soon eclipse San Francisco. It's culture will also overtake L.A.'s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 PM

50 posts, read 128,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
You know the obvious choice is Houston, soon its public transportation system will rivel Chicago's. The booming vibrant downtown will make New York's look dead. Its world class shopping will soon eclipse San Francisco. It's culture will also overtake L.A.'s.
You really can't claim that anything you said is even probable. Houston is a great city, but I'm sorry to say that Chicago, New York,and L.A. are going to be the american trifecta of cities for quite a while.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,007,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR1837 View Post
You really can't claim that anything you said is even probable. Houston is a great city, but I'm sorry to say that Chicago, New York,and L.A. are going to be the american trifecta of cities for quite a while.
I see that your sarcasm detector is not working today.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:03 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
I think Houston has a very bright future. I went partying downtown on Saturday and it was crazy! good times.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM

50 posts, read 128,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
I see that your sarcasm detector is not working today.
There are some people that think their city is the best, though it really isn't even in the top 20, it isn't so hard to believe you'd actually think that.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,882,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR1837 View Post
it's more like the big 2, 1) NYC 2) LA and a distant 3) Chicago. I like Chicago and all alot, but some of it's residents have a false sense of importance!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,099,645 times
Even though it is not in the USA I'd have to also offer Paris, France. It is known as the City of Light.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,363,832 times
When Dallas, Houston and Atlanta get their public transportation acts together and their infastructures catch up to development while limiting outward urban expansion by encouraging infill redevelopment (whew!), these cities could actually live up to the hype. Austin should shine too.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM

56,750 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Minneapolis, Syracuse(if the right people get their act together), Houston, Dallas, Columbus OH, Madison WI, The Tidewater/Hampton Roads cities of VA, Charlotte NC, Grand Rapids MI and Salt Lake City UT.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,461,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
it's more like the big 2, 1) NYC 2) LA and a distant 3) Chicago. I like Chicago and all alot, but some of it's residents have a false sense of importance!
Yes, perhaps, but how predictable. There are many other cities that step up to the plate in different ways for different people. I am always very excited about traveling to cities in Europe that seem to come out of the "woodwork" for me sometimes (Bratislava is my latest desire to visit because it is up and coming) - ones I would've never thought about visiting. I have to believe that the U.S. can be just as an exciting place (in an American way) to travel to new places. You just have to be a little more open to change.

Houston (even though it can get a bad rap on here) was a very fun place for me to "play" when I lived in Austin (in the late 80's very early 90's). Since I am a dance music junkie, I loved Houston (dance music on the airwaves, excellent clubs - 6400, Decadance) - it was THE place to be at that time. Austin was fun then too; I've been there since and didn't enjoy it as much. Dallas was where I was and needed to be when I was in H.S. (I loved the place then). Chicago is where my roots are, and it has also been a favorite of mine since then, but not always. I have loved and hated L.A and NY for a long time. I've always had a blast in San Francisco, Honolulu, and D.C. Arizona is completely different, but the people are no different, and contrary to popular belief, it can be a pretty cool place. Establishments change, people change, etc.

It really depends on the energy there at the time, and the people you meet, not necessarily the amount of buildings or how well their transportation system is (although that helps).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or