U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,394,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Yes, perhaps, but how predictable. There are many other cities that step up to the plate in different ways for different people. I am always very excited about traveling to cities in Europe that seem to come out of the "woodwork" for me sometimes (Bratislava is my latest desire to visit because it is up and coming) - ones I would've never thought about visiting. I have to believe that the U.S. can be just as an exciting place (in an American way) to travel to new places. You just have to be a little more open to change.

Houston (even though it can get a bad rap on here) was a very fun place for me to "play" when I lived in Austin (in the late 80's very early 90's). Since I am a dance music junkie, I loved Houston (dance music on the airwaves, excellent clubs - 6400, Decadance) - it was THE place to be at that time. Austin was fun then too; I've been there since and didn't enjoy it as much. Dallas was where I was and needed to be when I was in H.S. (I loved the place then). Chicago is where my roots are, and it has also been a favorite of mine since then, but not always. I have loved and hated L.A and NY for a long time. I've always had a blast in San Francisco, Honolulu, and D.C. Arizona is completely different, but the people are no different, and contrary to popular belief, it can be a pretty cool place. Establishments change, people change, etc.

It really depends on the energy there at the time, and the people you meet, not necessarily the amount of buildings or how well their transportation system is (although that helps).
Damn great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
it's more like the big 2, 1) NYC 2) LA and a distant 3) Chicago. I like Chicago and all alot, but some of it's residents have a false sense of importance!
Chicago is not as distant as you may believe.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM

5,647 posts, read 7,450,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're right - some of the arrogant/ignorant posters from Chicagoland may help influence otherwise sometimes (every state has them), but Chicago can be just as great.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Of course it isn't, i love chicago, but I had to put an ignorant poster in check a little!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
^^gotcha...both of ya.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,003,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR1837 View Post
There are some people that think their city is the best, though it really isn't even in the top 20, it isn't so hard to believe you'd actually think that.
Haha, not me. I like Chi-Town much more than Houston.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
You know the obvious choice is Houston, soon its public transportation system will rivel Chicago's. The booming vibrant downtown will make New York's look dead. Its world class shopping will soon eclipse San Francisco. It's culture will also overtake L.A.'s.
Are people really saying its system will rival Chicago's?

The Chicago area has 394 bus routes and 20 train lines serving 374 stations. There's an average weekday ridership in the area of 1,860,000 people, and a report in todays paper is warning that the already maxed out system is trying to prepare for an influx of around 200,000 more riders per day with kids back in school and record riderships being reached every month now.

The stats for Houston reported 342,000 riders on an average weekday. They're making a lot of progress, but 1,860,000 riders to 342,000 for the system and having 1 rail line compared to 20 is going to take some time to close the gap.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are people really saying its system will rival Chicago's?

The Chicago area has 394 bus routes and 20 train lines serving 374 stations. There's an average weekday ridership in the area of 1,860,000 people, and a report in todays paper is warning that the already maxed out system is trying to prepare for an influx of around 200,000 more riders per day with kids back in school and record riderships being reached every month now.

The stats for Houston reported 342,000 riders on an average weekday. They're making a lot of progress, but 1,860,000 riders to 342,000 for the system and having 1 rail line compared to 20 is going to take some time to close the gap.
IT WAS SARCASM! Blackjack hates houston and he likes to get people riled up so they can attack it.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I agree. Those cities with the BRIGHTEST futures are those cities with politicians and policies either planned or being implemented to combat global warming--such as curbing automobile emissions, automobile traffic, restricting highway use, encouraging mass transit (through building/planning more), and planning for smart water useage.

Atlanta is on the BOTTOM of lists from each category above. Atlanta needs to get its act together, or it will definitely be suffering 30 years from now. Portland, Oregon is a very smart city in terms of planning. I'd pick it or a city in the northeast any day over any city in the southeast.
Actually you are not quite right.Atlanta recently rank as being one of the cities in the last few years that has improved. Many government and business friendly policies regarding sustainable cities initiatives have been strongly pushed into law by current Mayor Shilry Frankilin.It has made more progress in a short amount of time.It still has a ways to go as these policies have only been recent within the last few years.Even though Atlanta ranked 38 out of 50 cities.It was #1 in the category of LEED certified Buildings.People complain about Atlanta's Public transportation system,however when compared to most other cities in the U.S., it ranks high.It was #10 of 50 cities in the category of Mass transit.The best in the South.
Atlantic Station,
The Beltline,
The Streetcar on Peachtree;
All of theese new development are sustainable developement.Each with mass transit involved.You have not been in Atlanta in a while,because it is evident all over the city,new developement are geared toward more livable projects.

As far as Atlanta being Detroit.There is no correlation of the 2 that are not any more different than any other American cities.Any one who has studied the history of the two will see the vast differences.It leads me to believe that only the "color" issue is the only similar thing and thats not true anymore.
Atlanta ranks high in all catregories that deal with economics,travel,commerce and leisure

Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM

414 posts, read 1,589,336 times
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Milwaukee is poised for a huge comeback. It has a beautiful urban core that is revitalizing and becoming much more vibrant. It already has a beautifully developed lakefront and parks, and its liberal, open-minded, and pretty diverse (although very segregated). Being so close to Chicago, furthermore, will eventually create spillover. All Milwaukee needs is a few major companies to set up shop, and then let the boom begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or