U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,395,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Very few cities in the US are going anywhere any time in the future. Even the few basket cases like Detroit will survive.
Oh yeah. Dc wasn't in good shape, certainly nothing like Detroit is, and they stabilized and are now on the way up again. I see the same thing happening with Detroit and Gary, IN but with lower population. They will be a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,412,651 times
I have a feeling Newark, NJ has a bright future, and by bright, I mean becoming a desirable place to live.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM

72 posts, read 90,332 times
Many places in the South are still thriving or staying above water. Texas is doing reasonably well, so I would think their cities would sustain and ensure a good future.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:37 AM

59 posts, read 118,251 times
I think when a city gets an olympics it changes for the better,, I live in England and London is changing for the better!!! Get the olympics to Atlanta,Chicago and Dever for the winter?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,449,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I like this list. Let me apply it to Detroit, which I think could go either way in the next 30 years.

If Detroit can address the problems we are having with #12, it can become one of the greatest cities in the nation.
Yes!

I want to see Detroit rise again! I went to the city and fell in love with it and the people. I want to see it live, so I can live there. If they offered me a job doing planning/revitalization there for 2/3 the pay I could get in Illinois, I'd take it. I wish I could help make a difference there. I love Detroit.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
We don't know what cities will emerge with the brightest futures in 75 years or so. But, we can begin to construct the sort of attributes that the cities will probably need to compete effectively on a national and global basis. There has been a lot of research around this issue and a zillion opinions. But, suffice it to say that the successful city of the future will probably have many of the following attributes:
  1. Highly Educated Workforce (Creative Class)
  2. Solid education system at all levels (primary thru university education)
  3. Strong & identifiable urban neighborhoods
  4. A strong transportation network
  5. Appropriate cost of living to salary ratio
  6. Outstanding recreational and leisure options
  7. Highly developed Arts Scene
  8. Global Cultural Diversity
  9. Outstanding Health Care Resources
  10. Progressive Social environment
  11. Innovative Culture
  12. Diversity of industry and opportunty
  13. Access to natural resources (water especially)

Subjective differentiators (either + or -) might include:
  1. Weather/Seasons
  2. Scale (population)
  3. Geographic proximity to other areas for business and leisure
  4. Pollution levels
  5. Religious atmosphere (Just ask the intellectual community in Tehran about this one!)
I would say that Seattle is lacking in only the attributes I emboldened. We got everything else. Heck, we even got religious openness - there's Muslim, Evangelist Christian, Buddhist, Catholics, Shinto, and none of them are at each others' throats. Didn't know that the fastest growing Evangelist Christian sect is here in Seattle (Mars Hill Church)? I didn't either until recently.

One other attribute I would add is safety. Seattle's got that in spades. We had 28 murders in all of 2009. Cops here are busy busting people for jaywalking and prostitutes rather than murderers.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,075,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
I think when a city gets an olympics it changes for the better,, I live in England and London is changing for the better!!! Get the olympics to Atlanta,Chicago and Dever for the winter?
Haha I agree though,my family out there is saying nothing but good things about all the new stuff. I wanna go see it this year if I don't move there and I'm also going to go for the Olympics.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 PM

374 posts, read 991,104 times
Just relocated from Chicago/Ohio (yes I was residing in both) to the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and I must say that this area is definitely a place with a bright future. There are alot of developments taking place as well as new jobs coming into this area. And as far as entertainment, well, next weekend is the NBA All-Star Weekend and this time next year Cowboy Stadium will host the Super Bowl. I would be safe saying that the Metroplex has a bright future.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 PM

12,177 posts, read 21,013,009 times
I would say any city, large or small, that has alternative energy as its employment base as that is the new growth sector.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,219 times
i dont think omahas skyline is what makes it what it is these days. it is rapidly growing, which is a fact all us americans will have to admit. according to the u.s. census, as of 2008, the omaha metro's population was 840,000 (compared to [i think] around 600,000 in 2000). it's inevitable. it's growing quickly and emerging as a major power.

they're also adding 2 baseball stadiums i believe this year.

and whoever made the comment about the henry doorly zoo is TOTALLY wrong! the zoo was voted the best in the WORLD by numerous zoological societies many years in a row! the zoo is obviously the citys main attraction, and it is the states most visited attraction. i myself have been there, and many zoos around the country. the omaha zoo was absolutely one of THE best in there, if not the best. you can tell they took the time and care for all of the animals they have. it is not "hardly world class." its much more than that.

although their zoo is very nice, it's still only the 60th largest metro area in america. face it, 1 million of the 1.7 million people of nebraska live within 50 miles of the city. omaha wont ever be anything like todays major midwest metros (chicago, st louis, etc), but it is still somewhat impressive just for the fact of its growth rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or