U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,147 posts, read 3,439,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Pittsburgh is basically just sitting here waiting to be tapped. I predict in the next 5 years or so it'll be one of America's "coolest new cities". Same goes for Baltimore.
Outside of the immediate downtown and adjacent Fells Point area, Baltimore is still one big ghetto. It doesn't have the in-town neighborhoods Pittsburgh has like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, or Mt Washington. Baltimore might improve, but Pittsburgh has a lot more potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
In 1970 metro Atlanta had a population of just over 2 million. By the 2010 Census it will be pushing 6 million and is growing at over 120,000 every year. Clearly it's not such a bad place to live or else people wouldn't be flocking there by the thousands every week.
Atlanta has a nice climate and good pro-business government, but the downtown area still needs a lot of work. It feels very dead compared to DC, Boston, and Chicago, and even Buckhead/Midtown feel more like overgrown suburbs with chain restaurants than urban neighborhoods.

Overall, it's not a bad place, but Atlanta needs more museums and fewer minivans to become a truly world class city.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,114,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Atlanta has a nice climate and good pro-business government, but the downtown area still needs a lot of work. It feels very dead compared to DC, Boston, and Chicago, and even Buckhead/Midtown feel more like overgrown suburbs with chain restaurants than urban neighborhoods.

Overall, it's not a bad place, but Atlanta needs more museums and fewer minivans to become a truly world class city.
You're completely wrong about the restaurant scene here...and just what part of Buckhead or Midtown were you in to make that assessment?

I was just in N. VA...no shortage of minivans there, either

Atlanta could use an Artie's, though.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You're completely wrong about the restaurant scene here...and just what part of Buckhead or Midtown were you in to make that assessment?

I was just in N. VA...no shortage of minivans there, either
Every suburban area of America has minivans, but we also have a heavily-used subway (by everybody, not just African-Americans) running through Arlington & Alexandria, and a wide choice of independent restaurants and museums in DC.

I was in Buckhead not long ago and my client said she had a cool Italian place she wanted to take me to. It was Magianno's. Yeah, we have one in NoVA, but it's in a mall where it belongs, not on a busy street in a supposedly urban area.

Also, a lot of parking lots and buildings set back from the street in that area. Buckhead reminds me more of a suburban office park like Tyson's Corner than a pedestrian, urban neighborhood like Georgetown.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,199,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What do you know about living here? Most people I know in Atlanta enjoy it, despite what the malcontents in this forum would have you believe.
All I know about living in Atlanta was what I experienced living there from 95-97. Admittedly, that was during Olympic hell, but it just wasn't for me. I loved the food, though.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,335,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Outside of the immediate downtown and adjacent Fells Point area, Baltimore is still one big ghetto. It doesn't have the in-town neighborhoods Pittsburgh has like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, or Mt Washington. Baltimore might improve, but Pittsburgh has a lot more potential.

Haha typical post by you ripping on Baltimore and telling lies. Good times,good times

Old 06-14-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Haha typical post by you ripping on Baltimore and telling lies. Good times,good times
You want to add any facts to the discussion or just personal attacks?

Only reinforces my beliefs when you can't reply with any substance.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,335,547 times
personal attack or Observation? Think about it. You can't deny that you always say something bad about Baltimore.

And Whatever you say...

Old 06-15-2008, 08:21 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,114,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I loved the food, though.
Did you really? Well, then you must like to eat at chain restaurants, since you claim that's all we have here.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:30 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,103,313 times
Stamford, CT. Home to General Electric. They bring good things to light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or