U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,713,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Are you sure he didn't mean Manhattan, Kansas??
If it keeps going like this I'll need to pull out my extensive list of good things about Omaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,200,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, I see...I should sit here, shut up and watch my town get trashed over and over by people that don't have a clue about it. Didn't know how this worked.

Actually, I have an abundance of clues about Atlanta. As I've stated over and over, I used to live there. For several years. Have you ever been to Pittsburgh, or do you just use 50 year old outdated images to trash it?

Incidentally, as Pittsburgh is a real city and not a glorified suburban office park, Atlanta will never be as great. Shoot for L.A., one day.

I love how touchy people get here. I can picture people actually getting pissed off by a message board, it's great.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,051,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ way to throw out like every NY stereotype. He Was likely joking around.

YouTube - Omaha Sucks

I see videos like the one above where people are just ignorant. I like NY fine. I'm not contesting that it's a great place to live and work. Omaha isn't either, and for it to be thought of on a substandard level due soely to population is agravating. All cities of merit should be able to see each other on a level playing field in terms of livability.
I constantly promote Sioux Falls. I've only been once, and the city is about 1/4 the size of Omaha, but I weigh the benifits of a smaller city (less restrictions, less crime) with the drawbacks and consider Omaha and Sioux Falls to be very similar in terms of value as places to live.
do you see what I'm getting at?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,335,547 times
^ Im extremely confused. Especially since i never said anything about Omaha. Its just everything you said was a stereotype. that's all i was saying. I don't agree that every city should see each other on the same playing field. I mean Omaha is nice, but is it one of the worlds greatest cities like New York?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,713,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post

YouTube - Omaha Sucks

I see videos like the one above where people are just ignorant.

And for those of you who didn't watch the video, first of all its from Fox News, they said 500 dollars is big money in Omaha, the reporter didn't even know Nebraska existed, one of the Co anchors said we were in Central Nebraska, we're in eastern Nebraska, and she called us a small town, finally, she described Omaha as the place where all the corn comes from.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Actually, I have an abundance of clues about Atlanta. As I've stated over and over, I used to live there. For several years. Have you ever been to Pittsburgh, or do you just use 50 year old outdated images to trash it?

Incidentally, as Pittsburgh is a real city and not a glorified suburban office park, Atlanta will never be as great. Shoot for L.A., one day.

I love how touchy people get here. I can picture people actually getting pissed off by a message board, it's great.
Where exactly in this thread did I trash Pittsburgh? I never said anything negative about it. I will now, however, say that in my experience some of the most unpleasant people I ever met in my life came from there...it was an absolute phenomenom to me! You certainly do nothing to dispel that impression.
It's also a phenomenon to me how people in Atlanta are just falling all over themselves to move out of here and get up to Pittsburgh at any cost...why, by the end of the year this will probably a ghost town.
Get over yourself.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,200,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Where exactly in this thread did I trash Pittsburgh? I never said anything negative about it. I will now, however, say that in my experience some of the most unpleasant people I ever met in my life came from there...it was an absolute phenomenom (sic) to me! You certainly do nothing to dispel that impression.
It's also a phenomenon to me how people in Atlanta are just falling all over themselves to move out of here and get up to Pittsburgh at any cost...why, by the end of the year this will probably a ghost town.
Get over yourself.
Firstly, I'm 35. I got over myself at least 15 years ago. Secondly, never say never, obviously(see the sentence directly after you used the n-word). Thirdly, I'm hardly "from" Pittsburgh, since I've lived here exactly one year (next week). I'm from Richmond, VA by way of San Francisco and Seattle (and Atlanta). That being said, the people here, mostly natives, are the most genuinely polite people I've ever encountered. I don't mean the syrupy, fake "Southern Hospitality" b.s. that I ran into every day in the Big Peach, when I wasn't being glared at for the color of my skin (pale white, btw). I reserve the right to criticize any city I want, but I choose to stick to the ones in which I have lived. If only everybody set those rules for themselves. Nope, you're right. In a Fortune 500 pissing contest, Atlanta beats Pittsburgh, hands down. McMansions, Range Rovers and upscale malls do not a city make. Gawd I love getting under the skin of certain types of people.

10 things I truly love about Atlanta:

1. The Varsity!
2. Greenwoods! (technically Roswell, but it's all one big suburb, isn't it?)
3. MARTA! (if only Pittsburgh had a mass transit system so efficient, and I'm being totally serious. Ever ride it?)
4. Zoo Atlanta! (and the surrounding neighborhood of Grant Park, which brings us to...)
5. Grant Central Pizza...probably not there anymore, and so much better than Fellini's that it's not even funny. Slight chance I'm getting the name wrong, but it's been years.
6. The Majestic!
7. The Colonnade!
8. The Book Nook! (RIP, I think)
9. Buford Highway! We need more Asian food up here, please.
10. As mentioned before, the International Market in East Atlanta (or Avondale Estates).

Honorable mention: Savannah. Along with San Francisco, Seattle, and yes, Pittsburgh, one of America's most beautiful cities.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot The Vortex (esp. the Little 5 Points one) and let me state, once again, that I LIKE Decatur! The city of, that is.

OK, commence misunderstanding of what I'm posting. I can understand being thin-skinned if you live in Buffalo (sorry Buffalo) or somewhere else that always gets dumped on, but Atlanta is supposed to be a shining beacon of prosperity. I go read the Pittsburgh posts all the time and don't feel the need to respond to all the criticisms, because it's usually people that live here or have lived here and they have a point about some of it.

Last edited by creepsinc; 06-18-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Gawd I love getting under the skin of certain types of people.

I go read the Pittsburgh posts all the time and don't feel the need to respond to all the criticisms, because it's usually people that live here or have lived here and they have a point about some of it.
Nor do I, except when posters are putting out distortions, stereotypes, or misinformation.

And, believe me, you are not 'under my skin' (or anywhere near it, thank God), little man.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,056,192 times
I have no idea what the future holds but I'll take my chances here in Teas. The housing market is stable;the economy boomig and the fortune 500 companies seem to keep coming. Our state budget is in surplus. We always seem to have two-three cities in the top ten picked by so many business agazines. .I have confidence in the future and am always shocked by the negativity in so many state threads.I'm satisfied and that si what counts.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,051,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ Im extremely confused. Especially since i never said anything about Omaha. Its just everything you said was a stereotype. that's all i was saying. I don't agree that every city should see each other on the same playing field. I mean Omaha is nice, but is it one of the worlds greatest cities like New York?
I know you didn't. I was speaking about "omaha's got some cornfields" comment. no we dont. Not any more than New York, at least. And I think Omaha is a world class city (I don't expect you to agree). Is it huge? No. Does the world's richest man prefer to live here rather than in New York? Yes. I'm saying, in terms of choosing places to live, both locations have positives and Negatives.
There is something to be said for the idea that population weighs too heavily on ideas of livability. If you came down to Omaha, drove around and had fun and went back, there would be plenty you'd be missing. You'd be in New York gridlock remembering way back when you gave up huge population for an easy commute, huge population for people who say hello to each other when they pass on the street. There are some simple pleasures with a smaller volume of people that people in coastal cities can lose sight of, and they are worth living here for. New York is the undisputed best city in the Country, but in terms of where you choose to live, all cities of merit should be weighed equally with each other considering both the positives and negatives of a specific size of population.

see what I'm getting at or am I still running in circles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or