U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 05:03 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,196,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Nor do I, except when posters are putting out distortions, stereotypes, or misinformation.

And, believe me, you are not 'under my skin' (or anywhere near it, thank God), little man.

I don't recall putting out any distortions, stereotypes or misinformation. I just (orignally) mentioned, I think, ONE thing I didn't like about Atlanta. Then you accused me of accusing Atlanta of only having chain restaurants (which I never mentioned) and the ball was rolling. Scroll back through the posts, I ended up saying more positive than negative things about your beloved hometown.

I don't recall ever mentioning my gender, either. Way to jump to conclusions.

From here on out, I'll be posting to a new forum, Pittsburgh vs. Atlanta: The New Civil War.
Hope to see you there some time.
xoxoxo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,456,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
I know you didn't. I was speaking about "omaha's got some cornfields" comment. no we dont. Not any more than New York, at least. And I think Omaha is a world class city (I don't expect you to agree). Is it huge? No. Does the world's richest man prefer to live here rather than in New York? Yes. I'm saying, in terms of choosing places to live, both locations have positives and Negatives.
There is something to be said for the idea that population weighs too heavily on ideas of livability. If you came down to Omaha, drove around and had fun and went back, there would be plenty you'd be missing. You'd be in New York gridlock remembering way back when you gave up huge population for an easy commute, huge population for people who say hello to each other when they pass on the street. There are some simple pleasures with a smaller volume of people that people in coastal cities can lose sight of, and they are worth living here for. New York is the undisputed best city in the Country, but in terms of where you choose to live, all cities of merit should be weighed equally with each other considering both the positives and negatives of a specific size of population.

see what I'm getting at or am I still running in circles?

I dont think its just cause of the populaiton, there are many smaller cities that are well know that alot of people like, Boise is a small city that lots of people from bigger cities like, I think its just something about Omaha and it being in Nebraska that throws people off, its their perception kinda like the perception people have of Little Rock.Im sure Omaha is nice and from what I have seen of neighborhoods it looks nice but its not for everyone and it isnt a big name in America.If that was Salt Lake City,Oklahoma City,
Raleigh,Charleston,SC,Baton Rouge,Tacoma, they prolly wouldnt have spoke about it the way they did like they were clueless and it was such a small town.

The richest man may choose to live in Omaha and If I were the richest man I would choose to live in a small town in New Mexico or Texas but that doesnt make the town interesting to anyone but me. Im just surprised this guy hasnt been robbed over and over, I cant imagine someone with that much money living in a small-mid-sized city with out people plotting to rob him, or does it happen?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

Im just surprised this guy hasnt been robbed over and over, I cant imagine someone with that much money living in a small-mid-sized city with out people plotting to rob him, or does it happen?
actually someone tried to rob him last fall, but failed. He actually is rarely attempted to be robbed.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:57 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
Quote:
I dont think its just cause of the populaiton, there are many smaller cities that are well know that alot of people like, Boise is a small city that lots of people from bigger cities like, I think its just something about Omaha and it being in Nebraska that throws people off, its their perception kinda like the perception people have of Little Rock.
Once I was in Boston and I don't know how this person knew I wasn't from there but she came up and asked where I was from. I said Omaha and she looked confused, I said Nebraska and then she just walked away.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,340 times
Quote:
I dont think its just cause of the populaiton, there are many smaller cities that are well know that alot of people like, Boise is a small city that lots of people from bigger cities like, I think its just something about Omaha and it being in Nebraska that throws people off, its their perception kinda like the perception people have of Little Rock.Im sure Omaha is nice and from what I have seen of neighborhoods it looks nice but its not for everyone and it isnt a big name in America.If that was Salt Lake City,Oklahoma City,
Raleigh,Charleston,SC,Baton Rouge,Tacoma, they prolly wouldnt have spoke about it the way they did like they were clueless and it was such a small town.

The richest man may choose to live in Omaha and If I were the richest man I would choose to live in a small town in New Mexico or Texas but that doesnt make the town interesting to anyone but me. Im just surprised this guy hasnt been robbed over and over, I cant imagine someone with that much money living in a small-mid-sized city with out people plotting to rob him, or does it happen?
The perception is what annoys me. Kiplingers named Omaha #3 to live work and play in 2008, and that is ignored simply because of our population(or as you're suggesting the population of our state). That is an ignorant POV in my opinion. I think in terms of livablility all population levels have positives and negatives, so it's not fair to rate how good a city is based soely off of that.

BTW: ignore my rant on Warren Buffet. I agree with your assertion there.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Every time I've driven through Omaha, I've been amazed at how orderly and free-flowing the traffic is, even during rush hour. I like Nebraska. It's everything that Kansas isn't, and I say that without a trace of sarcasm. I wish I had time to check out every decent-sized city in the country. They fascinate me. Except Witchita. I got a really bad vibe passing through there once.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM

23,085 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I don't recall putting out any distortions, stereotypes or misinformation. I just (orignally) mentioned, I think, ONE thing I didn't like about Atlanta. Then you accused me of accusing Atlanta of only having chain restaurants (which I never mentioned) and the ball was rolling. Scroll back through the posts, I ended up saying more positive than negative things about your beloved hometown.

I don't recall ever mentioning my gender, either. Way to jump to conclusions.

From here on out, I'll be posting to a new forum, Pittsburgh vs. Atlanta: The New Civil War.
Hope to see you there some time.
xoxoxo
Ugh, I hope not...I'll be avoiding you like the plague, whatever you are.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Once I was in Boston and I don't know how this person knew I wasn't from there but she came up and asked where I was from. I said Omaha and she looked confused, I said Nebraska and then she just walked away.
Why do you get bent out of shape over nothing? All these posts of yours are proving, if you are indeed a typical representation of Omaha's citizens, is just how insecure the residents of your region really are.

I come from the Hartford area and our city has always lived in the shadow of New York City and Boston. I can recall when the Whalers and Bruins had a pretty good rivalry going in the old Adams Division of the NHL and the Bruins players would constantly state there was no rivalry between these two teams. Of course there was but the Bruins hated to admit it because the Whalers were the upstart and a smaller market.

People in Hartford and most of Connecticut don't care about what the rest of this country or what other people think about the place. The city has its good points and bad just like any other place. At one time it was the 4th largest financial center in the country thanks to all the insurance company and banking headquarters in the city. It still is a financial powerhouse! But people didn't and don't walk around claiming it to be a world class city or something else it is not. We are content in knowing who and what we are and don't attempt to artificially inflate our own sense of self worth over the perception of our region by the rest of the country. This does appear to be the case with you and a couple of other people on the subject of Omaha.

Omaha does not have a single major league team. The Omaha Royals should be named Team Sominex. The zoo is decent but hardly world class. It's home to Warren Buffett and a handful of Fortune 500 companies and little else of note. The College World Series is neat though.

In your eyes perhaps Omaha is a world class city but please don't expect the rest of America to buy into this unhealthy preoccupation i.e. fantasy. Someday Omaha may become a real entertainment destination and a center of business and finance but right now it is simply an average regional metro area that is still on the smallish size in population and lacking the necessary components to make it a truly world class destination. Right now it is still a sleepy little hamlet in its formative years and has some growing up to do.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Default I can't stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Ugh, I hope not...I'll be avoiding you like the plague, whatever you are.
Everything you say just drips with unpleasantness. My suggestion is you avoid other people's opinions like the plague. I wonder about people who can't handle the slightest bit of criticism about a metro area of millions.

It reminds me of the Olympic debacle. The chairman of the IOC had the NERVE to fail to proclaim them the "best games ever". The local news outlets bitched about it for WEEKS. What did they (you) expect? They held an international sporting event in the middle of the bible belt. Of COURSE an abortion clinic bomber is going to pull something. Incidentally, I was working in the CNN center across the street when it happened. Too bad I lived to dare to post well-founded criticisms of The City Too Busy To Hate. To think I found the majority of the people I encountered there to be a little on the judgmental side! I'm going to go comb Atlanta Journal-Constitution editorials...I bet there's a debate about whether Houston qualifies as being part of the New South. There's nothing more pathetic than an entire city with an inferiority complex (pretty common, see Pittsburgh) and absolutely no sense of humor about it (Hotlanta is the only one I've ever come across).

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
Yeah, a lot of people don't take criticism of any sort very well. When someone says something negative about Connecticut or Hartford, I usually just ignore it unless they are posting something that is not factual in nature and it then needs to be corrected. But if its an opinion, the so be it. Let it ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or